Mole Removal?

Options
Okay.......sorry for the gross topic.......but I have a question.......who here has had a mole removed? I am SUCH a baby about pain........and VERY weirded out by numbing by meds........ie, when you go to the dentist, they numb your mouth for certain things, and somehow it usually effects a corner of your mouth afterwards......or at least in my case it has happened........and really don't like the sensation......

Does it hurt? Any weird after effects? (cause I've heard they numb the area?) Also, if this mole is covered up by hair, just wondering if they would have to remove said hair in order to remove it?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I have never had a mole removed, but have participated in the removal of several. Getting a shot in your skin is A LOT different than getting a shot in your MOUTH. No, they will not remove the hair prior to removing the mole. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    I have never had a mole removed, but have participated in the removal of several. Getting a shot in your skin is A LOT different than getting a shot in your MOUTH. No, they will not remove the hair prior to removing the mole. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

A shot?! :noway: :ohwell: Crap.........thats gonna hurt..........said mole is on my head..........
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I had one removed off the sole of my foot (so, no hair there!) and it wasn't too big a deal.

Most other parts of your body aren't as senstive as your mouth, so the numbing injection is much easier to tolerate. Don't stress about it, it will be over before you know it.

And, well done for picking it up and getting something done before it turns nasty - melanoma is a horrible way to die, and early prevention is MUCH smarter!
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    I had one removed off the sole of my foot (so, no hair there!) and it wasn't too big a deal.

Most other parts of your body aren't as senstive as your mouth, so the numbing injection is much easier to tolerate. Don't stress about it, it will be over before you know it.

And, well done for picking it up and getting something done before it turns nasty - melanoma is a horrible way to die, and early prevention is MUCH smarter!

Not sayin' I've done anything about it yet.........had it for years and it has never effected me..........just thinking along with the new me I might want to think about having it removed........never know who'll get grossed out about it and certainly having someone feel the back of my head...........via intimate moments ect.........might be a total turn off. But mostly it would be first and foremost for me and me alone.
  • KJVBear33
    Options

Not sayin' I've done anything about it yet.........had it for years and it has never effected me..........just thinking along with the new me I might want to think about having it removed........never know who'll get grossed out about it and certainly having someone feel the back of my head...........via intimate moments ect.........might be a total turn off. But mostly it would be first and foremost for me and me alone.

p.s. I am a TOTAL baby when it comes to pain.........:blushing:
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ha! I have 30+ moles on my entire body...and they are staying there! :noway:
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    Ha! I have 30+ moles on my entire body...and they are staying there! :noway:

HA.......bet that yours aren't as big as the one on my head.......if only I knew how to post pics from my phone directly to the site.......
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of mole and that. i have had them where they had to cut them out and I needed stitches. Also had one where he was able to shave it off. All required numbing agents. Really depends on what the doctor says needs done.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I have had a lot removed that were "suspicious" on various body parts (a few of which have never seen the sun). The numbing shot sucks but other than that its a breeze.
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Had a small one on my cheek removed a couple years ago. The numbing shot stings for a few seconds then all you feel is the doctor scraping the mole off and tugging at the skin if stitches are required afterwards. Very quick, easy and mostly painless procedure. :)
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    had one removed off my arm the shot was like getting a tetnus shot -wasnt that bad after that you cant feel it though if its in a spot where you can watch and you are squimish i wouldn't suggest it - though i thought it was pretty cool -the doc also lifts your skin alittle to see that everything has been removed and then a few stiches - if its in your hair they may have to remove some in the area of the mole
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If all my moles were removed I would not have any skin left! I've had lots off. Some cut and left with stitches, some scraped, etc.. It's like the dentist with the numbing. Thats the worst part, and that's not bad. Worse on the face, I think, for me. After is no biggie. If you have to go back for stiches that can be a pain in the butt, but not a biggie. It's not a lot to worry over. If it's on your scalp they might have to take a little hair off to get to it. Maybe not.
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My dr removed my moles by laser...it was a light sting..thats all!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I had one removed from my back. Dr. numbed it, then burned it off. I had to keep it bandaged for a few days. It was really annoying before it was removed, right on my spine along the bra line. always irritated. I don't know why it didn't occur to me, but I was disappointed when it healed, and there was still a mark. like a long freckle. I guess I thought there would be no discoloration or anything. no biggie, but still...
    the worst part was how it smelled when it burned *gag*
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The problem is: Sometimes the mole can grow back.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

A shot?! :noway: :ohwell: Crap.........thats gonna hurt..........said mole is on my head..........

They may remove a little bit of hair first then.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The worst part is the pinch from the injection... just remember that whatever happens, you'll be walking out the room five minutes afterwards. Make sure to eat well before you go. You'll be fine and will feel much better when it's gone!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    One of the things I hate about my genes is that they cursed me with quite a few - none of them have hair, fortunately (I'm the least hairy person I've ever met), but I hate them. One of these days I'm getting a least a couple of them removed. :(
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    Anyone have had them removed from your scalp though? :ohwell:
  • m2djones
    Options
    I have had several moles removed twice; once with surgical scissors and the others with freezing spray. I had the option to be numbed but because of the areas that had to be numb (neck and face) I chose not to. The scissor process stung a little but the freeze spray hurt so bad and it also burned the skin around the mole. So I Will Never Do The Freezing Method Again.