reality check

Options
Last night I was prancing around (in my undies ) so happy when I saw I lost a pound and looked in the mirror. I felt so good and THOUGHT I looked good. Today I put a bikini on and yes my husband said I looked awesome but when I looked in the mirror I did not feel the same as yesterday but still felt ok. Then I had my hubbi take photos to help me keep track of my weight loss. I was like WHAT? I looked horrible! Where was that body I saw in the mirror just last night? I don't get it. My first instinct was to quit eating (former anorexia talking) but I do know I have lost weight doing what I'm doing so I am ok with still eating the way mfp says to . I just don't get the difference in the two nights.

Replies

• hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the rant it just really upset me and my husband just does not understand.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I too did a bikini pic when I started... 15lbs into it I did another one, and DIDNT SEE A DIFFERENCE.... sobbed my heart out and wanted to throw in the towel, my clothes werent fitting me any better, my jeans felt just as tight and I really felt just as unhappy. And then quite suddenly, at 20lbs, I did another pic and BOOM! It was obvious... now my logical side says 15lbs is waaay more than 5lbs and it should have been much more noticable... but I'll take it!

Keep your chin up and take it day by day... and before you know it.. BAM its all good!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    you're a human, humans have emotions, emotions can cloud our judgment, our judgment can create false realities

you saw the same person, body, etc, just in a different mind set and mood
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Last night I was prancing around (in my undies ) so happy when I saw I lost a pound and looked in the mirror. I felt so good and THOUGHT I looked good. Today I put a bikini on and yes my husband said I looked awesome but when I looked in the mirror I did not feel the same as yesterday but still felt ok. Then I had my hubbi take photos to help me keep track of my weight loss. I was like WHAT? I looked horrible! Where was that body I saw in the mirror just last night? I don't get it. My first instinct was to quit eating (former anorexia talking) but I do know I have lost weight doing what I'm doing so I am ok with still eating the way mfp says to . I just don't get the difference in the two nights.

Oh my! I have only been your friend on here for such a short time, and you have inspired me so much just in that little bit of time. I think you have done amazing and you have been so motivating to me, I hope I an others can do the same for you! We all need each other, and I as well as others like me really need those like you, you have been such a great example for me, and no doubt many others.

The other people posting have great input as well, you know we are our own worst critics, and mirrors are anorexics worst enemy even when the scale is our friend for short moments of time! My other suggestion is to listen to your husband! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for adding me as a friend!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ah I have those days. You know you're the same as you were 24and hours earlier, but yeah you don't feel like such a hottie anymore. I think it's just mood, whether or not you exercised yet, stress, etc. It's a mystery; probably more often to women.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. There's nothing so deflating as a photo that doesn't match what we see when we look in the mirror.

But remember that there's a lot that plays into how a body looks in real life versus pictures. Movement adds a lot to what we see in terms of texture, musculature, etc. that just aren't captured in a still photo. Photos flatten everything into 2D, one snapshot moment of time, and because of that are extremely unforgiving (that's why even the hottest models get made up, lit properly, posed in awkward ways and then retouched). Photos are great for tracking progress, but remember that people will be seeing you in motion, not as a frozen snapshot. That girl you saw in the mirror is the you that others will see.
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm currently recovering from a relapse (anorexia) and there are some times I'm able to look in the mirror and feel confident &happy, and the very next hour I may look at the mirror and feel ashamed or disgusted.

Instead of the number on the scale, try taking measurements? Those days I just can't believe what my eyes are telling me (especially when I think that I look or feel as if I've gained 10lbs overnight), I take measurements to help give myself a "reality check". I also have much more body positivity after I've worked out, even if I am drenched in sweat :tongue:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just realize you're in it for the long haul, not just a temporary fix. Stick with the plan and you will get there.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I completely know how your feeling hun! On one of my happy upbeat days I look in the mirror and feel great then the next I can't even see the weight I've lost! I know that sounds crazy but when I'm feeling low In my head I still see the 210lb me staring back at me. I have never owned a bikini in my life ( and never will now my stomach is covered in stretchmarks from having kids) so don't have any pics like that but I'm the same even with my clothed ones.

Just don't give up hun and I'm sure one day we will see what's truely in front of us
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think we all have those days. I certainly do. Part of it is mental and part is physical. We have different degrees of bloat from day to day.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your posts! I was having such a bad day. Its really good to know I have friends like you all when the mirror , scale, or picks are being evil.
  • aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That happened to me the other day. I also grab the measuring tape before I have a meltdown over my weightloss. Helps things stay in perspective for me.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. On Monday, I felt sooo good, prancing around, feeling skinny (not that I am, lol) and yesterday I felt all fat and gross...*sigh*. When I got home from work, I just ate dinner and went to bed.

I still feel the same this mornng. I am hoping that I will feel better after my date with the arc trainer and treadmill. I am not even going to
    look at the scale till Sunday. :noway:

Hang in there. Friend me if you want.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think this post is awesome! Its good to know that Im not crazy in feeling all lightweight one day and a ten ton monster the next! Thank you for starting this thread, I think we all needed to see that some days are good and some days are bad!

Keep fighting the good fight, stay healthy (mentally and physically) and it will all work itself out in the end!