Working Out Sore Muscles?

My thighs are so sore I can barely bend down and do regular activities. When you are this sore or still sore from a workout do you wait for the soreness to pass and then do the workout. I did the workout that caused the soreness yesterday. I know when you workout muscles you are supposed to give them one day to recoup before you work them out again...I have already waited the one day...so what do you do?

Replies

• PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    My thighs are so sore I can barely bend down and do regular activities. When you are this sore or still sore from a workout do you wait for the soreness to pass and then do the workout. I did the workout that caused the soreness yesterday. I know when you workout muscles you are supposed to give them one day to recoup before you work them out again...I have already waited the one day...so what do you do?

Keep working out.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member

Keep working out.

Thank you for the advice...will try!
  • Typically you want to rotate the region you are working. In other words, do lower body on day 1, upper body on day 2, and so on.
    Your lower body will hurt after day 1, but you will be doing upper body the next day.
    Will your lower body still hurt come day 3 when it's time to do lower body again? Of course it will.

As long as you are doing some good stretching before and after each routing, you can go a long way towards minimizing your soreness and pain.
    It's sort of like the advice you give someone who has a hangover. You tell them to have some "hair of the dog that bit you".

As for my own personal anecdote, I had started P90X. (Let me preface this with saying that I am not exactly a physically fit man.)
    Day 1 was Chest and Back, which involved lots of pull ups and push ups. Naturally, my arms were incredibly sore afterwards.
    Day 2 was Plyometrics, which is a lower body and cardio routine. This gave my arms a rest, but after this workout, my legs are now sore.
    Day 3 is Shoulders and Arms - another arm-centric workout. My arms were still a little tender from Chest and Back, but I pushed through.

What came up on Day 4? - YOGA. Even though this was strenuous, it was like giving my entire body an awesome massage, stretching every muscle..........just in time for Day 5, Legs and Back.

My legs are still a little tender, my arms are recovering nicely. I persevered.
    Day 6 was Kenpo X (another cardio program), and Day 7 was rest.
    Finally, I begin Week 2, which is the same routine as Week 1, but this time, the amount of time that I am sore is diminishing. Even though I am seeing myself doing more reps, my body is recovering quicker.

If you establish a good routine that pushes you, but still gives you time to recover (slightly), you will notice that you'll have quicker recovery times.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    sometimes it helps to do long walks the next day in order to still work out those same muscle but not push them too hard. also do some stretching or yoga.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    IF they're that sore I let them recover, then get back to it.
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    If you are sore for more than two days after you worked out then you pushed it too hard., Let your body rest and tame it down a little. Try alternating muscle groups too. Lower body Monday, Upper Tuesday, then back to lower on Wednesday. Muscles get big during resting not during working out, Make sure you have day inbetween.
  • let them recover, alternate. u may need to do more warm up and stretching before also
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    The way I do it, I like the other MFP posters said is simply rotating the body parts you are working.

For example this is how I go about it for myself, though everyone and everyBODY is different, so this applies to me alone, but it shows I give breaks inbetween body parts.

Sunday: Back/Biceps
    Monday: Cardio/Abs/
    Tuesday: Chest/Triceps
    Wednesday: Cardio/Light Biceps/Abs
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Shoulders/Light Triceps (To whatever body part is lagging)
    Saturday: OFF

So you can see I don't do cardio after legs, I can't usually walk the next two days. I also don't do Back near Legs, as they kind of intertwine in terms of Deadlifts, Hammies, sorta Glutes and Back Arching, so I keep them apart. Also - since Shoulders/Triceps/Chest are the "Pushing" movements and work in sync with one another, I know if I couple all 3 ones gonna give, so I separate shoulders, etc etc.

Basically by making your days work for YOU, your body can recover and not impose on other routines and such.

IMO.