Has anyone heard of this? Joe Cross Juice Diet?

Options

Replies

• RachaelLoses
    Options
    I actually like Joe Cross -- I think he's an amazing person. He did not diet, he changed his lifestyle. Yes, he took a drastic measure by juicing like crazy. Not everyone can do that and he says that specifically in his documentary.

I am not allowed to juice again until June but I fully intended to incorporated fresh juice in small amounts into my food plan each day. I think hitting your cells with a shot of fresh vegetable juice each morning wakes them up and helps any damaged cells repair themselves. At least that's what Dr. Michael Greger says.

People misunderstand and misuse the word "diet". Joe Cross's intention is not for you to use juicing as a diet. Juicing is meant to cleanse the toxins from your body and allow you to reboot your system and then you begin your new, healthy lifestyle. In addition, if you've been taking a lot of medications and lose a lot of weight and do not need those medications anymore you do need to flush those from your system. The lingering medications wreak havoc with your body chemistry. Believe me, I know.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I actually like Joe Cross -- I think he's an amazing person. He did not diet, he changed his lifestyle. Yes, he took a drastic measure by juicing like crazy. Not everyone can do that and he says that specifically in his documentary.

I am not allowed to juice again until June but I fully intended to incorporated fresh juice in small amounts into my food plan each day. I think hitting your cells with a shot of fresh vegetable juice each morning wakes them up and helps any damaged cells repair themselves. At least that's what Dr. Michael Greger says.

People misunderstand and misuse the word "diet". Joe Cross's intention is not for you to use juicing as a diet. Juicing is meant to cleanse the toxins from your body and allow you to reboot your system and then you begin your new, healthy lifestyle. In addition, if you've been taking a lot of medications and lose a lot of weight and do not need those medications anymore you do need to flush those from your system. The lingering medications wreak havoc with your body chemistry. Believe me, I know.
    How does juice help your cells repair themselves? That's a constant, ongoing process that has nothing to do with juice.

And what "toxins?" Your liver removes toxins from your blood, juice in your stomach does not.
  • Rogue_228
    Rogue_228 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 5 of Juicing. I did try all of his recipes......that Mean Green one is not good, but it is good for you. I will say this is not a cheap thing to do. The first few days are hell! By day 3 I was doing a lot better. I have decided to do a 7 day trial of this. I did chose to drink the 4 juices however I eat a dinner of just fruits and vegetables with a few dressings. I do drink the herbal tea at night other then that I only drink water. I have not had anything but fruits, vegetables, light mayo, light ranch dressing, and olive oil in 5 days. The cravings have gotten better. I did not do this to lose weight I did it to get more vegetables in my system and to feel better. However I have lost weight by doing this.

There are many lengths of time that you can juice I chose one week.
  • bbjennyd
    bbjennyd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for a week now. I have lost 9 lbs and I feel amazing!!! I already ate pretty good anyway but it still cleanses you a lot. I take protein powder and olive oil everyday to make sure and get my protein and good fats... there is NOTHING WRONG WITH EATING FRUITS AND VEGTABLES!!!!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I didn't even consider the cost factor either for buying all the produce. That would be expensive considering I would then be buying the same amount of food for my family. I don't think they would consider going for a liquid diet. Maybe in the summer when produce is readily available I may try it if I still haven't reached my goal.

Thanks!
    I do juicing in the summer a lot, because gardening brings the cost down considerably.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Meh. It's DIET. Diets don't work long term. If they did then once you did one that would be it. Not to mention juice isn't food. Crash dieting on liquid diets usually mean weight regain once solid food is reintroduced.
    This same DIET has been passed around on MFP (and others too) for years now, but MFP is more about lifestyle than diet.
    I'd rather eat my fruits and veggies then put them in a blender...

:drinker:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary. It is amazing and inspiring. No this isn't a "Fad Diet" it's an idea to reboot your body and release all the toxins from your body from the mayhem and destruction you've already put it through. They do not claim that this is something you should do long term. It is only a short term rebooting process that is followed by a HEALTHY WELL BALANCED DIET. 

Joe Cross suffered tremendous health issues, toppled the scales at 300+ lbs, was on several medications including steroids and wanted a better life. He succeeded in keeping his weight loss stabilized for several years, no longer is on medications and has adapted a mainly vegan lifestyle. He has also started a revolution and helped change people's lives.

I watched the movie with my husband along with a documentary called Forks Over a Knives, a must watch film. FOK will show you the science. Not just a measly study with a few mice but IMPRESSIVE extensive research by Nutritional experts who grew up in the farming business. 

My husband and I didn't juice we blended using our Vitamix, which changes the composition of the food on a cellular level. You simply cannot chew your food as well to release the minerals and nutrition that is done on a juicing or blending diet. I also would like to see someone attempt to consume 1 apple, 1 head of kale, 1 bunch of celery, 1 lemon, 1 banana, 1/2 cucumber, 1 bunch of parsley in one sitting. We begin our day with a green drink of veggies and fruits every day and adapted a plant based whole foods diet. I've lost 22 lbs and my husband has lost 27 lbs in 3 months. We've tried everything and this is the simplest and happiest I've ever been. the first week was the hardest, but now we don't miss meat, dairy, the naughty desserts i was addicted to, or the junk food. This isn't "magic",  it simply is making life long changes and facing the reality that processed foods, meat and dairy make people sick. If you are worried about getting protein, eating the rainbow of vegetables and fruit give you the amino acids you require to get the nutrition you require. Read Dr. Furhman's book Eat to Live. He is the doctor that helped Joe through his journey.

I've never felt better, more alive and clear headed in my life. Our whole extended family is juicing, blending and looking at the foods the consume in a new light. You should give it a shot!!

Name the toxins that juicing rids your body of

They include Imaginatorium, Fantasium, and the dreaded Allinyourheadium.

4m3PT5c.jpg?1
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have seen the documentary and I believe everybody should do what works for them. I can see a juice diet to start off weightloss. It gives one a boost if the scales go down, so if a juice helps in that way great!

I also believe that it does indeed help to detoxify your body. Yes the liver can do this for you, but similar to fasting, if the body does not have to deal with constantly digesting food around the clock, it can have a rest and repair itself.

There has been enough clinical research done to prove the benefits of fasting and giving your body a rest. I believe juicing goes I into that direction and can be beneficial.

The problems I see are costs and finding the right way back into eating. Good luck to all of you who are going for it.

Stef.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    How does juice help your cells repair themselves? That's a constant, ongoing process that has nothing to do with juice.

And what "toxins?" Your liver removes toxins from your blood, juice in your stomach does not.

Actually, its both the liver and the kidneys that remove toxins from the blood - some of those toxins are produced by the body itself as by products of digestion and others are introduced into the blood stream via ingestion, inhalation or absorption. Stuff like drugs, prescription medication, pollution, car fumes, aerosols, chemicals, soaps, detergents, preservatives, additives, pesticides in food, fats our body doesn't need, trans fats our bodies can't digest, chlorine and flouride in our water and pretty much anything that we come into contact with in our everyday lives can enter our bodies through our mouths, our lungs via the air or our skin. It all gets filtered from our blood by our livers and kidneys and passes out via our wee or poo.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Actually, its both the liver and the kidneys that remove toxins from the blood - some of those toxins are produced by the body itself as by products of digestion and others are introduced into the blood stream via ingestion, inhalation or absorption. Stuff like drugs, prescription medication, pollution, car fumes, aerosols, chemicals, soaps, detergents, preservatives, additives, pesticides in food, fats our body doesn't need, trans fats our bodies can't digest, chlorine and flouride in our water and pretty much anything that we come into contact with in our everyday lives can enter our bodies through our mouths, our lungs via the air or our skin. It all gets filtered from our blood by our livers and kidneys and passes out via our wee or poo.
    Finally, someone making sense. These people that say stuff like "There is no such thing as toxins" need to do some more research.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Finally, someone making sense. These yahoos that say stuff like "There is no such thing as toxins" need to do some more research.

She is naming some of the toxins, and stating that we get rid of them anyway.

People who do fasts and cleanses to (as they say) "remove toxins from the body" are the ones who can never specify which toxins the cleanse is removing that the body would not normally remove. I want THEM to name one single toxin that is removed by a cleanse that is not removed at other times. Bet no-one can name one.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Correct, the juice cleanse itself won't remove any toxins from the body. Our organs do that naturally and unless damaged, very efficiently. However, fresh juice is deliciously healthy and refreshing and I certainly include it in my diet when I feel blah.

I found a great website from an Australian Government health promotional group that aims to educate our population about the importance of caring for our livers. Apparently 1 in 10 Aussies have fatty liver disease caused by poor diet, too much alcohol, smoking and general unhealthy lifestyle, and this can lead to cirrhosis and liver failure.

http://www.loveyourliver.com.au/your-liver/what-can-damage-your-liver

I'll grab some info and paste because I found it interesting and somewhat surprising...

Common Toxins to Avoid

#1 Large doses of Iron

#2 Supplements

#3 Cigarettes

#4 Cannabis

#5 Illicit drugs

#6 Some herbal remedies

#7 Large doses of vitamin A

#8 Some prescription medicines

#9 Paracetamol

#10 Some over-the-counter medications

#11 Salt

And some foods they recommend we eat to ensure our livers remain healthy - no, not a juice cleanse but vegetable juice is listed along with:

#1 Almonds

#2 Oats

#3 Blueberries

#4 Salmon

#5 Soybeans

#6 Tea

#7 Yogurt

#8 Broccoli

#9 Kidney beans

#10 Spinach

#11 Pumpkin

#12 Vegetable juice

Recommended intake: If you regularly meet your recommended five serves of vegetables per day, have one vegetable juice per week. If you struggle to eat all of your five-a-day, use juices to help top up your vitamins and minerals.

Including these top 12 super foods as part of a balanced diet and lifestyle will help you maintain a healthy weight, aid digestion and reduce cholesterol – all good news for your liver.

So to really do a liver detox all you need to do is cut out or down on the 12 toxins listed above and eat a balanced and nutritious diet.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Seriously, this is the 3rd or 4th juicing thread I've seen since yesterday. Sigh.

I like to incorporate fresh juice into my diet, but come on. There's a "search" option on the forum or google. With those, the possibilities are endless, really!
  • TalarHatz
    TalarHatz Posts: 5
    Options
    How long did it take to loose the 25 pounds?! That is my goal and I just wanted to know how long I would need?! - more inspiration :)
  • TalarHatz
    TalarHatz Posts: 5
    Options
    How long have you done the juice diet to reach a weight loss of 25pounds? Also I'm unable to drink the green juices- they make me gag...... I'm hoping to sub with eating a cucumber instead. Also I have peanuts incase I get too hungry instead of binge eating! What do you think?
    Has anyone heard of Joe Cross or this documentary below? Has anyone tried to do the Juice Diet either? First I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam diet. Then I am wondering if I would be able to survive on it. What about protein?

From another website I follow, someone posted this below:

Inspired by Joe Cross' "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2011)"(documentary) Juice Diet - I've losted over 25lbs (and counting), and I've never felt better. Now, to get even more out of this wonderful program, I'm willing to help and get others excited to do the same.

It's been 29 glorious days of feeling a new found energy, while burning off 25lbs and shrinking from a 16-18 pants size to 12-14. My clothes are much looser now, and many of my friends have commented in surprise at how different (and healthier) I'm looking now. And I'm not done yet!

It all started when I watched the FREE documentary by Joe Cross called "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2011)". In this documentary, Joe Cross loses nearly a hundred lbs of weight, is able to dump his medications, and travels across the USA, sharing his experiences with others. Joe decided to change his bad eating habits and shed nearly 100lbs, by using a "reboot" diet consisting of only fruits & vegetables juices for 60 days. The documentary relays good medical and nutritional information concerning this awesome diet. You may think that just drinking juice would be unhealthy but in fact, as you will see in the documentary, it's actually very healthy. During his journey in the USA, Joe also inspires Phil, a 425lb truck driver, who was originally at his wit's end and unhappy with his life. After meeting up with Joe, and deciding to do the juice diet himself, Phil loses over 200lbs!! This enthralling and FREE documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2011)" has, without a doubt, changed Joe and Phil's lives, and I'm sure it's changing people's lives everywhere who see it.

It all starts with a physical exam, which obviously, has to be done by your doctor. This is for safety. Once you have clearance from a medical standpoint, here are some things that you'll need:

1.) For inspiration, watch the movie "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2011)" - see it for free on hulu.com at: http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead
    2.) You'll need a good juicer machine. Any quality juicer machine will do, I don't advocate for a certain brand or anything. The one I bought, and I like it, is the Breville "Juice Fountain Plus". Available for $149 from breville.com (also on Amazon.com for the same price).
    2.) 10, or 30, or 60 days of committment to drinking juice - all day, and whenever "your body says so". This sounds so hard, but it's really not! In fact, after the first few days, you will likely feel even better than you usually do.
    3.) Some Juice recipes - Here's a link to a single page (small print) with 15 or so perfect Juice recipes that I use: http://goo.gl/cGGxm - it's really all you need. Or if you don't want to click the link, let me know and I can email it to you in PDF or ODF format. Also I encourage you to have a look at the fatsickandnearlydead.com website for more great ideas from Joe Cross himself.
    4.) The willingness to reap the benefits of dropping the pounds, feeling better, and changing (or possibly even saving) your life.
    5.) (optional) To truly get the most out of this program - Consider passing along your success story. Like the GNU/Linux operating system (powers Android, Amazon Kindle, so many websites, and much more) and FOSS (Free Open Source Software - e.g., so much of the software that runs websites such as Google, Amazon, Yahoo, etc.), Joe Cross was willing to share his story with us, so we can use the same process to help others everywhere!
  • torrak
    torrak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have done it before for 13 days and it is as advertised. I lost 15 pounds and then when I transitioned to regular, healthy food, gained 5 back. Try it for 5 days following the plan on the website. You have to ease into it by eating correctly for a few days first. By ingredients for one juice at a time BEFORE you start and find ones you like. Don't by a bunch of produce and then find out you don't like it. Everyone has different tastes.

Don't listen to anyone who has negative things to say, 5 days will not hurt you and then judge for yourself. If don't like it don't ever do it again, if you do, keep going for a few more days if you want. Not everyone has the same results, but the worst are those that never do it but seem to think they can offer an insightful comment on why you shouldn't.

If you try it and don't like it then share that. If you try it and do like it then share that. If you don't try it then just leave us be, you have nothing to offer to the conversation. Does it remove toxins? I don't know. Does it make your skin clearer? It did for me. Do you lose weight? I did. Will you put the weight back on? I put on 5 lbs which I expected. Will you sleep better? I did. Will you feel better? I did.

I start a 15 day reboot tomorrow and am excited to get started because I know how it works for me. GOOD LUCK!
  • cmorte71
    cmorte71 Posts: 1
    Options
    I skimmed through this, and then did a search for one word across 3 pages. Only one instance (or those that quoted the instance) of that single word showed up that many of us seem to ignore or sweep under the rug. So, I'll just go right out and say it in the hopes that more folks find this page from Google like I did. Ready?

ADDICTION

More importantly: FOOD ADDICTION

Now, I'm no 12-stepper. hardly (though I support those that find peace with that program). I went to Overeater's Anonymous once some 20 years ago. Sitting around a room with others isn't really my thing unless it's a classroom-course type of setting, not 'group therapy' (again, to each their own!)

For me, I'm revisiting Joe Cross and rebooting again, and this time following the regime, not because I'm getting suckered into a fad, but because of my food *addiction*.

So, for me at least, I'm calling a spade a spade. I'm a food addict. I'm a fast food addict. I've had enough.

In the past I lost 60 lbs in 90 days from good old "diet and exercise", but it (like the juicing) happened when my way of eating changed.

The message that I get from this movie and other "docu"mentaries, is pretty basic: you got to move, and you got to eat healthier.

I LOVE fruits and veggies. God knows why I keep sabotaging myself to the point where I'm thinking of WLS (which is why I'm on this site to begin with).

I'd rather try *juicing* to kick start my weight loss again over gastric sleeve, or at least: use it to prepare for a gastric sleeve.

Anyway, I've preached enough. I genuinely feel (earnestly) feel: YMMV. Chose a method that works for you. I'm choosing this for very clear reasons for myself. IF somehow my words ring true for others, great.

Best of luck and health to all.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's 2014 and people are still finding justification for fad diets. Oh well we can't win them all... You lose fat from a caloric deficit not from drinking juice. You lose weight by losing fat and or muscle and or water. Causation vs. Correlation 101. There's nothing magical or special about a juice diet other than for once people are likely to stay hydrated, and juice usually has way more potassium in it which shifts water balance over time especially when one is coming from a traditional /typical high sodium diet. These things in and of themselves would be enough to lose lbs upon lbs of water. You only have three choices of foods for energy, barring ketones and alcohol. Those are Protein,Fats and Carbohydrates. That's pretty much all one is ever going to consume. Protein being the most important when losing weight when protecting the metabolism is paramount. We know this from research and research of research.

Newsflash!! Welcome to the "health and fitness industry" and welcome to Marketing 101 and Affiliate marketing 101. Raise your hand if you're naive enough to think he doesn't have a monetary interest in people wanting to juice. "Reboot with Joe...buy this blender over here click this link so you can get a cookie on your computer so that if you don't even buy until after you've sat up at night deliberating with your common sense and it takes a month, guess who still gets a cut???" But look at the before and afters "It works" Well geez, you mean people lose weight when they stop eating food? Get out! Fruits and veggies are usually relatively low in calories. Thus easier to reach a caloric deficit and thus burn fat.

So for anyone on the cusp or trying to decide and you're wondering if you should try it, any knowledgeable person that's done a drop of research will tell you not to. There's a reason why people gain weight back. Some of it might be due to Random/arbitrary anecdotes can be very powerful even in the face of tried and true scientific research. What it boils down to is calories in vs calories out. Drink juice for a myriad of other benefits, not to lose weight. There is no special weight loss diet. Stop it.

We are taught to be hypochondriacs, it helps to sell stuff. Most people are addicted to food they just think they are. With all due respect to those are truly are or could be, If you're addicted to food, or anything, seek counsel with a REAL addiction specialist or two. If you can get over your addiction by juicing, congratulations, you were never addicted.