Going to Olive Garden for Dinner

Options
2»

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I really like the apricot chicken with vegetables...it's 400 calories for the dinner portion. The minestrone soup is also really good.

^^^ This, and if you are wanting to cut about 80 calories and 75% of the sodium ask for it without the apricot sauce.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    ^^I agree with this^^

They have the nutrition info for all the menu items here: http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/nutrition/

I like to be prepared before I go places and have a few choices picked out beforehand!

Something else that I do when I go out to eat sometimes is to half my portion immediately, and take the rest to go (or share it with my husband!). You could also try getting a soup for an appetizer to help fill you up!

^This :) Tomorrow, my parents are taking me out for Mexican food and I haven't had it in MONTHS! I plan to enjoy it, log it, and be back on track like normal the next day!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    DON"T EAT THE SALAD DRESSING!!!!!!! Avoid it like the plague!!!!!!!

Here's what I have

2-3 Breadsticks
    1-2 bowls of Zuppa toscana (usually just one)
    1/2 Lunch portion of Seafood alfredo
    with a little butter on the side it comes out to about 1350 cals.

I eat lightly and exercise during the day before I go. This usually is more than enough to fill me up and not leave me feeling deprived. That way I have a good time.

P.S. I'm only countin calories so if you are counting other stuff this may not work....but I hope it does
  • Longtobeslim
    Longtobeslim Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really don't want to say "the heck with it" just because this is just my 2nd week at mfp. You have given me some good ideas. The venetian chicken sounds good and not too many calories, or trying to be good and either having a lunch portion of something or taking half of it home.

I know I am not always good about taking half of my food home but if I do that Thursday night, as soon as everyone has their food I will ask for a to-go box right away so I can put at least half of my food away before I even start eating.

Thanks again, I love Olive Garden but was dreading it when it was decided that's where we were going this week. Now I feel better about it and more prepared for staying on track.

Have a nice evening.

Erin
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I agree with earlier posts: the apricot chicken is fab and fills you up. I usually go for the salad and ask for the dressing and croutons on the side, and only eat half the croutons, and ask them to only bring me one breadstick. That's still overdoing it for me for a single dinner, but it's better than a 2000+ calorie meal.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Minestrone = 100 calories for a nice, hearty bowl.
    Breadsticks = 150 each.
    Water = 0 calories.

^^^^^
    This is what I have when I go there for lunch. I have 2 bowls of minestrone, one breadstick and water. It comes out to less than $5.00, I add a couple of bucks for tip of course.

Before leaving to your dinner party have a healthy snack at home, so you are not too hungry. Enjoy yourself!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Apricot chicken without apricots is just over-cooked Olive Garden chicken.

If you know your group is going out to dinner, work out a little extra the day before, eat light the day of, and enjoy your evening out at a social event.

I'd have all of the salad and breadsticks I could handle, and chicken alfredo (with a box to talk half home). Also, the house wine aint half bad.
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,878 Member
    Options
    I love the Tilapia, and I ask for it on whole wheat pasta. I feel very virtuous and satisfied cleaning my plate!
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I went there earlier this month and had salad with dressing, TWO breadsticks, spinach and artichoke dip and salmon. I watched what I ate for the next few days, and still lost a pound by the time I got home because I had exercised and stayed below on the rest of my foods. Proof that a splurge will likely not demolish the progress you've made so far.

But I understand wanting to go with everyone's advice on low calorie stuff. Good luck. :flowerforyou: You'll be fine either way.

(ETA: I went to Olive Garden on a trip, so that's what I meant by "by the time I got home.")