Does anyone have a wonderful home workout routine that doesn

Options
Hi,

I would like to start working out more in my home. The problem is that I highly dislike following along with video workout routines and I don't want to buy anything like a treadmill or elliptical (apartment is too small). Anyone have a 30 - 45 min workout routine that they love?

Thanks in advance!

o(-_-)o

Replies

• mmarcy11
    mmarcy11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I don't make it to the gym, I use my wii fit. There are other work out games for the wii also, the only other one I have tried is wii Zumba and it is a pretty good work out.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have a collection of the Biggest Loser DVDs that I really enjoy. Most don't take anything more than hand weights. A few use a medicine ball or stability ball. I've had them for several years, they are what got me started to my weight loss journey. Plus, Bob is easy on the eyes which is always motivation to work out! :)
  • sativo8339
    sativo8339 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You may have a tough time doing cardio without moving around quite a bit. There are lots of free-form strength training excercises that you can do! Do you enjoy bike riding? I know it's not inside, but if you have the room you can get a trainer for it and ride inside..
  • saradougz
    saradougz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you have a iphone/ipad/whatever, they have this app called Nike Training and it has different workouts broken down by category (get lean, get toned, get strong, get focused) and they all have workouts that you can set to music and are timed so you know when to change it up. Plus you get awards and bonus workouts the more you work out. Its free which is cool and I literally just downloaded it a couple days ago but I'll definitly be getting good use out of it!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for strength training?

Try you are your own gym on Youtube. He also has a book and an iApp.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Run.
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like the Leslie sansone walk at home DVDs... you don't do crazy stuff but you do work up a sweat
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs? When I can't make it to the gym, I'll go up and down them for a good 10-15 minutes and then head outside for a brisk walk.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    On sudays when i dont make it to the gym, i do fast walking for 20 min, it burns 70 cal for my weight, and i do rope skipping for 5 min, it burns 45 cal for me. And i repeat it 3 times.
    My 20 min walk is that length only becaue it is a convenient route with beautiful views.
    So whatever you have at home, just calculate the calories for you weight and do it as long as you need .
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/66780006944212931/

30 day workout challenge, Ideas for at home.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a good answer, but my friend loves the "Insanity" videos. He lost 100 lbs doing it!
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Run.

Haha. I would run BUT, I live in Beijing and on most days the US Embassy recommends that you don't workout outside because of the dangerous level of pollution. It's kind of scary actually.
  • penney88
    Options
    I just started MFP and I've been using my wii only for my workout (plus the daily handling's of a 1 year old!). My living room is very tight, we live in an apartment too, but it works for wii.
    I currently play (nice to say play for working out!) wii fit, just dance 3, and wii my personal trainer. Im not dropping pounds (yet) but i have lost inches!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    kettlebells.

i have an interval timer, and use you tube to learn different moves.
    i started out with some videos.

in one hiit session, i can burn 300-400 calories in about 35 minutes.
    (i have a heart rate monitor)

quick, easy and doesn't take up much room.
    its cardio and strength :)
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bob is easy on the eyes

Agreed!
  • luvnlife6
    luvnlife6 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike around the neighborhood or walk for 45 minutes. And I also do Zumba videos. They are a lot of fun. Good luck. There's lots you can do.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    20 jumping jacks
    25 crunches
    10 pushups
    20 burpees
    20 lunges

Repeat 5 times, 1 min rest inbetween each exercise....... if that is not enough for you, do it 10x :)

This works great if stuck at your office or in a hotel room too.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Slow full body tense push ups.
    Close hand push ups work the thiceps and pecs.
    Wide hand push ups work the delts and the pecs.
    Push ups done with elbows at the sides work lats.
    Piked Pushups work shoulders.
    Elevated push ups work shoulders.

Do 3 sets of 8 each but mix it up!

Crunches.

Pull ups and chin ups.

Pistols (Google Pavel Pistol)

Body weight squats.

I suggest to my friends all the time if they dont have upper body strength to choose a room in the house and everytime you pass through it, drop and give me 12!
    I call them traps!

I have a push up trap in my 2nd bedroom that i'll pass through 5 times a day.
    The basement is a chin up or pull up Trap.

Before you know it you are stronger!
    No need for any equipment except what you bring!
    =D
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    I love Zumba on the Wii, but if that's not your thing maybe you could do something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Twist-n-Step/17299056

Hope this helps!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas so far. I would stay stick with some body weight basics. (assuming you don't have weights).
    Pushups, Crunches, Planks, Hill Climbers , Squats, and Lunges
    Jumping Jacks and Burpees if you have the ceiling space.
    Do sets of these and jog in place for 30 seconds in between.

If you have 2 cans of soup, you can add all sorts of bicep curls, tricep extenensions, shoulder press and bench.