Depression

Options
Hey everyone. :cry:

Today's not starting off to good. But only because YESTERDAY ended horribly. My son had a game, and I knew we'd end up eating out that night, so I tried to behave myself. I had a light breakfast, small snack, soup for lunch, and then I began to feel tired, so I took a nap (My Friday was sooo busy I burned over 1500 calories :noway: ). I didn't manage to get any excercise in because of how horribly sore I was from Friday. I got up from my nap, and became very busy trying to get all 5 of my children, plus two other children, and my husband, ready to leave for my son's Tee Ball game. Things got hectic, and I didn't have my usual snack. Loaded up the kids, and headed for the game. What was supposed to have been an hour game, turned into a two hour game. On any other day by this time, I would have had a small snack, my dinner, and another small snack. At that point I hadn't eaten since around 12:00. So, my tummy was rumbling for something, I managed to avoid the concession stand, and when the game was finally over (we lost...but the kids had fun), we headed out for dinner. I was soooo stinking hungry, but knew it might be thirst as well, because my water at the game had become warm...yucky :sick: . So I drank two full glasses of water before I ordered (luckily there were a lot of us, and no one knew what they wanted) Well, for one night I went back to my old habbits, without even thinking about it, until this morning. I went over my calories!!! AT LEAST 8-900 OVER :sad: :frown: :angry: :grumble: . Well, all night I didn't feel a thing, didn't care, didn't even think about it. When I woke up this morning I felt horrible. Still do. I feel so bad. I don't know if it's because I went over my calories, or if it's just because I've been doing so good for so long, and totally blew every thing off for one day. I know a lot of you say, "Don't worry about it, tomorrow's another day" but I don't feel that way. I screwed up, and today I am suffering the consequences of my actions. I feel helpless. I feel that it doesn't matter what I do, food has this horrible hold over me, and there's nothing I can do about it. I feel as though it's only a matter of time before I'm right back where I started from.

I have no motivation to get up. My house is a disaster because of my son's party Friday, and the yard sale I'm going to have...soon...hopefully... everything is everywhere, I have no desire to clean, and when I force myself up to just do it, I get so angry and frustrated that if I don't calm down, I feel as though I'm just going to make things worse by throwing everything I own out the door and into the yard and say...TO HELL WITH IT, TAKE IT ALL.

What to do? How do all of you deal with your frustration, depression, irritibility, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ALC

178464.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Hey everyone. :cry:

Today's not starting off to good. But only because YESTERDAY ended horribly. My son had a game, and I knew we'd end up eating out that night, so I tried to behave myself. I had a light breakfast, small snack, soup for lunch, and then I began to feel tired, so I took a nap (My Friday was sooo busy I burned over 1500 calories :noway: ). I didn't manage to get any excercise in because of how horribly sore I was from Friday. I got up from my nap, and became very busy trying to get all 5 of my children, plus two other children, and my husband, ready to leave for my son's Tee Ball game. Things got hectic, and I didn't have my usual snack. Loaded up the kids, and headed for the game. What was supposed to have been an hour game, turned into a two hour game. On any other day by this time, I would have had a small snack, my dinner, and another small snack. At that point I hadn't eaten since around 12:00. So, my tummy was rumbling for something, I managed to avoid the concession stand, and when the game was finally over (we lost...but the kids had fun), we headed out for dinner. I was soooo stinking hungry, but knew it might be thirst as well, because my water at the game had become warm...yucky :sick: . So I drank two full glasses of water before I ordered (luckily there were a lot of us, and no one knew what they wanted) Well, for one night I went back to my old habbits, without even thinking about it, until this morning. I went over my calories!!! AT LEAST 8-900 OVER :sad: :frown: :angry: :grumble: . Well, all night I didn't feel a thing, didn't care, didn't even think about it. When I woke up this morning I felt horrible. Still do. I feel so bad. I don't know if it's because I went over my calories, or if it's just because I've been doing so good for so long, and totally blew every thing off for one day. I know a lot of you say, "Don't worry about it, tomorrow's another day" but I don't feel that way. I screwed up, and today I am suffering the consequences of my actions. I feel helpless. I feel that it doesn't matter what I do, food has this horrible hold over me, and there's nothing I can do about it. I feel as though it's only a matter of time before I'm right back where I started from.

I have no motivation to get up. My house is a disaster because of my son's party Friday, and the yard sale I'm going to have...soon...hopefully... everything is everywhere, I have no desire to clean, and when I force myself up to just do it, I get so angry and frustrated that if I don't calm down, I feel as though I'm just going to make things worse by throwing everything I own out the door and into the yard and say...TO HELL WITH IT, TAKE IT ALL.

What to do? How do all of you deal with your frustration, depression, irritibility, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ALC

178464.png
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you are following a plan that is a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance calorie level - then you actually only went over by 300-400 calories which may equal 1/10 of a pound gain.... it's not THAT bad.

And yes, today is a new day - burn an extra few hundred calories in exercise to make up for it. :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    one "tool" for dealing with the lousy blues or depression is to make a gratitude list

you took your kids to a t ball game- that must mean your kids are healthy..can see ..can walk..can eat

you have a messy house BUT you have a house

there are so many people who have none of that

some are dealing with children who are blind...who have special needs

there are thousands of homeless people who would cut off their arm to be in your shoes

you have access to a computer...you have food to eat, even if you ate too much

appreciate what you have...focus on the good parts of your situation and do things that will preserve and protect them

choose to be happy rather then let the blues control you

we all get depressed to a certain extent..but if you take a hard look at the real situation...you have it alot better than alot of people....appreciate that...it could be alot worse

be happy...it really is your choice...take control of your thoughts,...guide them towards positive images
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I had the same feelings yesterday. I focused on finishing my last class for graduation and therefore didn't plan ahead on what I was going to eat... which, when I don't plan, crackers and movie theater flavored popcorn wins over cucumbers and carrots. Part of it is that you have to change how you think about all of this. I have realized that while I have a GOAL of a weight I want to be, that will not be the "end". This is a lifestyle that I have to keep up with for the rest of my life if I don't want to re-gain all the weight I worked so hard to lose. So, this isn't really a race and if I gain a pound back here and there but stay on track, I'll still get the same end result (just maybe not as quickly as I would like to get it). There will be days when you pig out and there will be days when you REALLY pig out and that's OK as long as there are a lot of days separating them! It takes 3500 calories to equal a pound of weight loss, right? Even if you went over by 1000, you're still not at half a pound. It's completely not the end of the world. I found this article helpful:
    http://health.yahoo.com/weightloss-motivation/how-to-lose-weight-like-a-guy/prevention--23299.html

Mainly where it talks about the mind set that men have and women don't. Who knew we could actually learn something from men?! :laugh:

Cheer up and move on. You're doing great and you acknowledged your mistake. You cannot change what you did in the past but you can better plan for the future now. Have a wonderful rest of the weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • PROUDWIFENMOMMY
    Options
    :flowerforyou: AWW DONT BE DISCOURAGED!!!!! TODAY IS A NEW DAY!!! GET UP AND GET ORGANIZED...FOR YOUR KIDS!!!! I HAVE 3 OF MY OWN AND I WORK 4 10 HOUR DAYS SO I KNOW THE FEELING....BUT IF YOU DONT SNAP OUT OF IT NOW ....IT WILL JUST PILE UP AND GET WORSE.....AND JUST THINK WHAT A SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT YOU WILL FEEL WHEN ITS ALL CLEAN AND ORGANIZED...NOT TO METION YOU ARE MOVING AND BURNING CALORIES!!! SO TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND GO TACKLE THE TASK YOUR REWARD OF A CLEAN ORGANIZED HOUSE AWAITS!!! HOPE YOU HAVE A BLESSED DAY!!!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel ive been there, still there and its actually affected my life that I am now on medication because I have severe anxiety disorder now because of this whole thing. I feel helpless at times and feel like oh well so what i really dont care right now. Then I feel like such crap the next morning that Im bloated and so mad at myself I could scream! I hate the way that I feel and I thought by losing over a hundred pounds I would feel like a million bucks! Well I got news for ya, it doesnt happen that way for me. I gained some weight back this winter because my husband works away from home and its gone mon-fri and I had no time to get away to exercise. My childrent are to small to stay home alone. So I decided 2 weeks ago that my oldest child is 12 and I can leave him with the two younger ones in the morning so I can go out walking for 45 minutes. They are all still sleeping so they dont even know i am gone. He has a cell phone if he needs me but things are going great and im feeling a little bit better. I just feel that I was dying in these cold minnesota winters where I couldnt go outside. So your not alone here by any means, I totally know what your going thru! Keep your chip up high as I am going to do that also!

Kathie
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like DAve's philosophy on life---I follow that myself---keeps me form going insane
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, learn from yesterday - - - next time you're leaving the house, remember to pack a snack for yourself and put it in your purse.

Try to think of it as the safety instructions before a flight - securely attach your own oxygen mask before helping others. If you don't take care of yourself first, you won't be much help to others.

It's going to be hard, I don't know anyone on this website who will tell you it's been a breeze losing weight. Does your family know you're trying (REALLY trying) to lose weight? Can you ask your husband/older kids to help you keep on track - help you make healthy choices at restaurants?

You'll be fine. Don't let one bad day be your excuse for giving up. :flowerforyou:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Go over your food, then copy and paste it to your blog, and write what you'll do differently next time. You'll feel less bothered by the problem if you figure out a good solution for the future.
  • lyshpeach
    lyshpeach Posts: 14
    Options
    First of all, it sounds like you are expecting way too much out of yourself. You are only one person and cannot do it all! Take it one step at a time. Also, stress, exhaustion, and hunger are the top diet killers. Make sure you have extra snacks with you at all times. This is very important if you live an active lifestyle like you do.
    So, take a breather. Be proud of what you have accomplished so far. You are doing awesome woman! Keep moving forward and learn from this mistake.
    Now go take a bubble bath or something :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you're going to fall into that deep a depression because you went over your calories for ONE day and your house is a mess, how in the world did you make it this far already?

Adding a lifestyle change to one section of your life doesn't have to make or break the rest of it. So you went over your food for ONE day--out of how many? Get over it, move on, and do the things you'd normally do if you weren't riddled with guilt over something so silly.
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Everyone in their own way helped.

DAVE.. it's funny... because I ALWAYS tell that to my kids and husband when they have bad days. My son came home the other day from school upset because some kid had a Nintendo DS, and he has a gameboy color. After telling me why he was upset, I looked at him and said, "Son, at least you have a game to play. Think of those who DON'T have them. Think of the kids you go to school with who don't have money to even buy used games like we do, could you imagine how they feel?"

He then looked at me, (my sweet sensitive boy) and said, "Mommy, can I give my Gameboy to Robby?" I asked why and his response was this, "Because, he doesn't even get presents from Santa on Christmas." Now, I live in a very small community, and we only have one school in our town, Grades PreK-8th. Everyone knows everyone, and things get around. I happen to know that this family did in fact have a horrible Christmas, and decided it best to simply not celebrate. However, a month later Robby's dad got a great job, and they celebrated Christmas a few months later by taking the kids to Disneyworld. lol. My son didn't know that at that point. I explained to him that Robby no longer was in that situation, and he didn't need Logan's Gameboy. He smiled and said, "Where's my gameboy? I want to play it! Then on show and tell day I'm going to show it to my friends at school." He was then so proud of his Gameboy Color. Still is.

My husband has days when he comes home and he hates his job, he hates the fact that he feels as though he's wasting his education, and generally hates us living like we do (paycheck to paycheck), and I always remind him it could be worse. Make examples just like Dave did, and he (for the most part) will feel better and move on.

Why can't I do that for myself? I don't know why I didn't just do it. I'm always the positive one in the house, so why all of a sudden I became miss negative is beyond me, but you guys really put things into perspective. It really could be worse. I could have eaten a whole bucket of ice cream, or something, it's not like I did that. I just ate a little more than I should have. No more regrets. I'm moving on. I'm smiling inside now :bigsmile:

It's like I always say

"STAY POSITIVE AND STAY FOCUSED, THE REST WILL COME"

Thanks again and again and again, everyone!

ALC

178464.png
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    YAY! I'm glad you made that decision. It's easy to stay miserable. So good for you for working hard! And the whole process of gettting to a better place sometimes requires a person to vent and let it all out, which is what you did!

I'm happy for you!:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I also went over by 1000 calories on Friday.

Here's what I'm doing to counter it.

I went to the gym yesterday and burned 500. I logged it on Friday instead of Saturday, so as to offset some of those calories.
    Then I ate 150 less calories on Saturday.
    I'm gonna eat 150 less calories today, and 100 less on Monday and Tuesday. (or earn them through exercise, whichever)

In this way I will make up for that day, without doing anything extreme or beating myself up.