Spike Diet

Options
Ok I have heard about this..how do you do it?? I'm 47 yrs.old, 5'2", BMR: 1177, BMI: 23, have about 8 lbs to lose,{UGW 115!!} workout 5~6 D/week C25K, 30DS, & lift wimpy 5~10lb 3X/week. Open to advice and help!! This forum is the most uplifting, exciting, and helpful EVER!!:drinker:

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure about the term 'spike' diet but I have heard of it on MFP. Through my whole MFP journey I have been a 'calorie zig-zagger' basically eating one set calorie amount each day of the week did not fit in with my lifestyle and certianly not with my social life!

I did a very basic form of it which was to eat 'lean' during the week - stick to my calorie goal, not eat back that many exercise cals. At the weekend though I would eat my 'saved' exercise cals back (and occasionally a few more). I would try and never exceed my total weekly cals. I would try and work out harder on days where I knew I would be going out.

Another way of doing it is to take your weekly calorie allowance (BMR plus acticivity level) say for instance you're on 1500 cals and split it through the week, depending on what happens in your week - i.e. meet friends on a Wednesday, meal out on Friday - as an example you could do this:

Total allowance before exercise for the week: = 10,500

Mon: 1300
    Tues: 1300
    Wed: 1900
    Thu: 1300
    Fri: 2000
    Sat: 1350
    Sun: 1350

You can obviously change this to suit your needs, perhaps maintaining a more steady number through the week and then having one high calorie or 'spike' day.

Personally, zig-zagging has allowed me to make this a total lifestyle change without becoming a social leper or becoming miserable or deprived. It also led me to consistent weight loss and no plateua, BUT that's just MY experience. Last week was my first EVER week on MFP within about a year where I did not enter the 'red' on one day in a whole week! x
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    go to search type in spike84. It will bring you to the furum.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Personally, zig-zagging has allowed me to make this a total lifestyle change without becoming a social leper or becoming miserable or deprived. It also led me to consistent weight loss and no plateua, BUT that's just MY experience. Last week was my first EVER week on MFP within about a year where I did not enter the 'red' on one day in a whole week! x

I LOVE zig-zagging. My high days are generally Wednesday and Saturday but I will adjust if I have something special going on. I've only been at it for two weeks but I love the results. I agree with the above quote - this system allows me to not feel deprived yet I am more accountable than I have ever been on any plan that I stayed away from all of my favorites 100% of the time. Now before someone comments, I do know you can eat in moderation all the things you love and still lose weight. I CHOSE to eat as clean as possible because it makes me feel amazing. I am, however, a real woman with real cravings and my two high days a week let me calm those cravings. My approach for me and I love it!
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MFP has a group "Spike 84". Check it out
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    THX !!! Everyone!! You are THE BEST!!:drinker: