Max the return if you have limited time for exercie

Options
Having lost 9kgs (19lbs) since starting with MFP 9 weeks ago I felt like it was time to start increasing thecalorie deficit by starting some exercise. My time is limited and I wanted to maximise the calorie burn while recognising I needed low impact exercise and would not be able sustain high intensity activity for long periods because I am so unfit.

My wife suggested water walking and so off we went last night and I completed 45 minutes with no strain, not puffing and panting and not uncomfortably sweating. the results are:

Weight 136.6kg (300lbs) 45 minutes of water walking. calorie burn = 405 calories

If you want the most accurate method for calculating the calories burned walking in water the formula is:

In lbs = weight x 0.9 calories = calories burned in 30 minutes.
Example: 200lbs x 0.9 = 180 calories burned. 45 minutes (1.5 lots of 30 minutes) would be 270 calories and an hour 360.

In kgs = weight x 1.98 calories = calories burned in 30 minutes.
Example 100kgs x 1.98 = 198 calories burned. 45 minutes (1.5 lots of 30 minutes) would be 297 calories and an hour 396.

As a rough guide walking in water burns approximately 50% more calories than walking on land due to the extra resistance you overcome. Use light dumbbells and swing your arms and the calories burned increases as well.

I have my perfect exercise to get me mobile again and add to my weight loss. As the kgs shed it will be back into cycling as well.

If you are also challenged by time and have access to a community or home pool (chest height water) and like to walk then doing it in water will give you a much greater calorie burn rate. :flowerforyou:

Cheers

John

Replies