Horizon: The Truth About Exercise

Options

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It was old news to me, and I'm not sure what the point in the fat in the blood part was illustrating. If there were trying to show how ineffective exercise was for controlling calories compared to diet, they could've done far better.

For hitting goals, I can only see the need for practising a race pace.

People have successfully trained for marathons using HIT, strength training is HIT, and for swinging your toddler without hurting your back there's kettlebells - 300 year old HIT.

I can see from people's reactions, that there will be several more decades of people wasting time, effort, money and causing repetitive strain and debilitating joint injuries with hours and hours of cardio a week.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Interesting but you simply cannot diet and do HIIT every day, from my experience with me and my clients. It is too demanding on the CNS, esp when combined with heavy weights and a calorie restricted diet. I get my clients if required to do it once every 3 days.
    They were only advocating it three times a week, not every day, and only for a total of three minutes a week. I thought it was an interesting concept, but I would have preferred if he had tested HIIT and NEAT over separate time periods, so that you could tell more clearly where the benefits came from
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    People have successfully trained for marathons using HIT, strength training is HIT, and for swinging your toddler without hurting your back there's kettlebells - 300 year old HIT.
    I know HIIT contributes to faster running times and improved aerobic capacity, even over distance, and I certainly incorporate intervals into my Marathon training. If you have an example I'd love to read about someone who has successfully run a Marathon using only HIIT as their cardio. I read Tim Ferris' 4-Hour Body and he was going to attempt an ultramarathon without putting in the miles. Two years later, there still a "Watch this space" on his website, so I can only assume all did not go according to plan :smile:
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I actually found it pretty boring. Don't know if that was down to the presenter or the content
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zincalloy
    Options
    I have burnt my chair and am now sitting on a exercise bike whilst writting this comment. The bike is given my chalfonts hell :sick:

Ha ha, good man. It can be a bit precarious for your Jacobs as well.

You do know that most people on this site won't have a clue what you're talking about.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Interesting but you simply cannot diet and do HIIT every day, from my experience with me and my clients. It is too demanding on the CNS, esp when combined with heavy weights and a calorie restricted diet. I get my clients if required to do it once every 3 days.
    They were only advocating it three times a week, not every day, and only for a total of three minutes a week. I thought it was an interesting concept, but I would have preferred if he had tested HIIT and NEAT over separate time periods, so that you could tell more clearly where the benefits came from

Three mins a week? God LOL :laugh:

TBH my clients do SSCV 5-6 days a week, 40-50 mins a time and 15 mins post weights. HIIT is added in at the end if required to trim any fat in shorter time scales....
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think the HiiT was for 3 x 1 minute sessions 3 times a week, so 9 minutes in all! But it did make the point that any sort of movement was better than none, and had 'fidget pants' worn by volunteers to test the movements they did during the day, to show how sedentary most people are - the exception was the waitress. They also said that some people are genetically not going to benefit from exercise - the science lost me a bit, but the programme's guinea pig turned out to be one of those!
  • peaceinside
    Options
    Bump
  • chrissypops
    chrissypops Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Think hitt or interval training is well known for increasing heart rate and good for metabolism because the heart rate doesn't stay constant therefore doesn't get used to it. Walking, again is a good ALL round good exercise. Even though it's " old news" to some, it might be what helps ppl who are sedatory and make " excuses " or place barriers in the way to redefine and think that it is possible to fit something into their lifestyle that will improve their health x
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have burnt my chair and am now sitting on a exercise bike whilst writting this comment. The bike is given my chalfonts hell :sick:

You do know that most people on this site won't have a clue what you're talking about.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chalfonts
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jacobs

They do now
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think the HiiT was for 3 x 1 minute sessions 3 times a week, so 9 minutes in all! But it did make the point that any sort of movement was better than none, and had 'fidget pants' worn by volunteers to test the movements they did during the day, to show how sedentary most people are - the exception was the waitress. They also said that some people are genetically not going to benefit from exercise - the science lost me a bit, but the programme's guinea pig turned out to be one of those!

For such a short time investment it certainly seems worth adding to an existing routine.

I'll look out for the section on genetics. That's scary. My friend and I always used to joke that we were immune to exercise, what if it's true? :noway:
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    great programme, a must watch for those interested in fitness and science.
  • zincalloy
    zincalloy Posts: 43
    Options

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chalfonts
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jacobs

They do now

Excellent work. Everybody should learn a little cockney. Although not a cockney myself, I do love the language.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    This. Personally I don't have clients do HIIT more than 2 times a week too because if done right, then they need time to recover.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Just for accuracy, it was 3 x 20 seconds, i.e. just one minute, of HIIT per session three times a week for a total of three minutes. The journalist did it on a stationary bike, in his suit sometimes to prove he didn't break a sweat. There was a warm up beforehand, cool down afterwards and steady-state between the hard reps, so at least 15 minutes in total, probably more.

His VO2 max didn't improve, as predicted by a DNA test that showed he didn't have the genetic predisposition to do so.

The gym was full of the readily swayed trying it last night and nearly falling off the treadmill.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected!!! Shows how much I took in - and the genetic stuff left me a bit bemused, too... may have to watch it again!
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I watched this and found it very interesting. I can understand why they say "chairs kill". However what do you do when you HAVE to sit at a desk all day and type all day ? :grumble:
  • nailsworthsf
    Options
    http://www.nailsworthstrengthandfitness.co.uk/the-truth-about-exercise-2011.html

A fairly interesting programme - but I don't feel anything new was discussed :(