Fat & 49, aiming to be Fit & 50

Options
Hi, I'm Evelyn -

I'm 49, 5'9" & weigh 302 lbs. Two weeks ago, my doctor told me that I was dangerously borderline for both Type II Diabetes and Coronary Artery Disease. I can't afford to get either of those - not that anyone can - but I'm already coping with severe CFS/Fibromyalgia.

So that's the pathetic/awful part. The much better part is that I've changed my eating habits & started exercising. I've lost 6 lbs in the last 2 weeks, and - more importantly - I feel better than I have in a long time.

My goal is to get down to 188 lbs (or maybe less - I'll see when i get there). If I lose an average of 1-1/2 lbs/week over the long term, I should hit 188 just about in time for my 51st birthday in Sept of 2013. So, yeah, I'm really aiming for "Fit & 51."

I've got 114 lbs more to lose, and I *don't* want to lose them so quickly that they'll just come right back. I want to do this the slow, right, sensible way - a carefully balanced healthy diet and lots of exercise. I've started doing fitness walks around my meighborhood, and am doing better & enjoying them much more than I'd expected.

This site & community look really great - I'm hoping to make friends here, and to give and receive lots of support. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Cross_fitter
    Options
    yay - you can do it..check out my Blog and ask me questions....what a great start in just wanting to be fit at 50. Me too....except I'll be 51 this year but my aim is to keep striving for fitness and healthy eating...you CAN do it!!:)
  • Cate1898
    Cate1898 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd like to be fit at 50, but seeing I'm 53 now I don't think it's going to happen! lol However, I also have a September b'day and would like to be fit at 54 and have taken the first steps! Friend me if you wanna encourage each other!
  • lyninit2winit
    lyninit2winit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Way to Evelyn. God Bless and yes you can do it!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I HAVE A SEPTEMBER BIRTHDAY ALSO!!!

I WILL BE 47 AND I NEED TO LOSE 70LBS
    RIGHT NOW I AM HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING THE SCALE TO EVEN BUDGE:sad:

IF I COULD LOSE 10LBS BY JUNE WOULD BE A SMALL MINI GOAL FOR ME:bigsmile:

FEEL FREE TO ADD ME:flowerforyou:
  • Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 41, going on 42..... but full of encouragement ! :) You can do anything you set your mind to do ! I'll add u !
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good for you Evelyn, you've taken the first few steps and you can do this. I got on the scale just after Christmas and decided that this was my time too. I'll be 47 in a couple of months and found myself at my highest weight ever. I didn't want to see another year overweight and unfit so I did exactly what you're talking about and I too don't want the pounds to come back.

It's one day at a time and we just have to keep choosing to eat well and move!!!!!

Feel free to add me too :)
  • kkjjll
    kkjjll Posts: 31
    Options
    first steps are so important... congrats on your first step, if you are looking for lifestyle changes, healthy food changes, excersise changes count me in as one of your friends,,, this is not a numbers game... this is about life!!! may God bless you in your journey as He wants all healthy...... karen :)