Which Heart Rate Monitor watch?

2»

Replies

• If you want accuracy you really need a chest strap. I have a Timex Road Trainer. They are around 100.00. I found on Altrec.com for 80.00. It is easy to use. If you have any questions you can just call Timex for help. But, if you are a big guy, this models chest strap is kind of small. I have a 42" chest and have the strap at almost the largest it will go.
  • fitrene
    fitrene Posts: 52 Member
    I too have a Polar f6. Have had it for about 5 years, just now had to change the battery. Calorie counter is much more accurate than the machines. And like someone else said, you get used to the chest strap. I have it on, under 2 sports bras and don't even notice it! I only notice it when I put it on after it's been in my car on a cold winter day! Oh yeah, then you feel it, but it warms up quickly!

I have found that you do get what you pay for when it comes to a HRM. I have a few that were less than $50 and lasted just a few months.

Good luck! I feel I workout much harder knowing what my HR is and what my estimated calorie burn is!
  • I have the Polar FT4 and love it but has a chest strap but very comfy and washable and completely waterproof for swimming or walking in the rain! It was AU $129 but much cheaper online! I was a bit worried about buying online because of the warranty! Didnt want the hassle if something went wrong. I can just take mine to the sports shop if I have any problems with it!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Can anyone recommend an accurate Heart Rate Montitor watch that doesn't cost the earth (preferrably one that doesn't require any form of chest strap)?

In a word, no. Not without the chest strap. The `strapless` watches function by measuring electric impulses on the skin (i.e. they don't take your pulse per se), which means they've all got the same endearing quirk: the second you start sweating, the wrist units cease to function. I'd really, really love to see the manufacturers' idea of a workout!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    I also have a Polar FT4 that I'm absolutely in love with. One of the best weight loss investments I've made. I've had it for over a year and it's still in tip top shape!
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    I have a Garmin FR70 and love it. You definitely want one with a chest strap because those without will be inaccurate (or less accurate!).