Exercise - How much is too much?

Hi Everyone :happy:

I normally workout 5 times a week with a mixture of cardio, strength training and sports (boxing / squash) Each session is usually no longer than an hour.

Today i feel very motivated to workout for longer than my usual hour.

Should i be working out for more than an hour each day?

It got me wondering...

Is there a limit for the number of hours you can workout in a day / week without over doing it???

Thanks

Fay

Replies

• I dont think there is a maximum, I have often exercised for over an hour, and realistically, if your moving you are exercising, so all day really!. If you feel like you have the energy and can do it I'd say go for it and well done x
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    So long as you increase gradually, there's no problem at all. I'm a very slow runner training for a Marathon, and as I get closer to race day I'll be exercising for five hours plus at a stretch!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I swim 3-4 times a week, usually no less than 60mins, but often for 80mins and on a Sunday for 2hrs.

As Berry said, as long as you build up your workouts and ensure you're eating/drinking well to compensate then it shouldn't be an issue.

Just be sensible and don't try to take on too much too soon :happy:
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    If you know your limits, you can work out up until you hit them. The difficulty is that we aren't ninjas, but we think we are.

Overtraining is a real issue for people who believe they need to punish their body into submission, which is a mentality what I feel I see on here quite a bit. The obsessive need to verify that being 20 calories over isn't going to turn them back into a land whale and trying to survive on negative calories, and am I eating too much X or not enough Y..

If you're enjoying yourself, go for a longer run. If your body is in pain, ease it up. Injury will put you out of the game far more than taking a rest day.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Do not exceed 24 hours worth of exercising per day.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    I say exercise as long as you want to as long as you are not in pain. Your body will tell you when you have had enough.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    I say exercise as long as you want to as long as you are not in pain. Your body will tell you when you have had enough.

This.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    My buddy once said "There is no overtraining, just under eating." Way too simplified but true for most.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    There is no magic number, but there is a point at which each individual would be doing too much. Usually that means too much at once. Just listen to your body.