Butter Substitute

Options
I want to make a chicken casserole, but it requires 6 TBSP of butter. I want to make this as a "low calorie meal". Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just leave it out, or if you need to fry meat/veg, add a teaspoon of olive oil or similar to sear meat/veg
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Use half as much and add in a little chicken stock. How many people is this portioned for? If it's 6 that's only 1 tablespoon per person.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'd have to see the recipe to see how it can be tweaked. As long as you aren't making a roux or something that relies on the fat to hold the dish together, you can probably cut it down drastically or replace it with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Also, 6 T. of butter sounds like a lot but if your casserole makes 12 servings, it really isn't bad.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Use half as much and add in a little chicken stock. How many people is this portioned for? If it's 6 that's only 1 tablespoon per person.

It serves 6-8 people.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    I'd have to see the recipe to see how it can be tweaked. As long as you aren't making a roux or something that relies on the fat to hold the dish together, you can probably cut it down drastically or replace it with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Also, 6 T. of butter sounds like a lot but if your casserole makes 12 servings, it really isn't bad.

The butter is more of a flavor based thing. So, I may eliminate all the butter anyway.
  • wildtreemommyof3
    Options
    I replace butter with butter flavored grapeseed oil. Still would probably cut down the amount but gives great flavor and much healthier.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I understand keeping calories low but it's better to have some real butter rather than some manufactured, rancid fake product.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    I replace butter with butter flavored grapeseed oil. Still would probably cut down the amount but gives great flavor and much healthier.

I'll have to try that.. Thanks. :)
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    I understand keeping calories low but it's better to have some real butter rather than some manufactured, rancid fake product.

Though they say 1 to 2 TBSP a week isn't too bad. But this calls for 6 TBSP! Yikes! That would be 3 wks worth..LOL.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. Grapeseed oil is not as healthy as they make it seem. Most of it is rancid by the time it hits the grocery shelf.

There is nothing wrong with fat, it is not the enemy and butter is definitely not the enemy.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Though they say 1 to 2 TBSP a week isn't too bad. But this calls for 6 TBSP! Yikes! That would be 3 wks worth..LOL.

It is going in a dish for 6-8 people, so that is .75 - 1 tablespoon per serving. Not that much in the grand scheme of things.

I, personally, so through more than 1/2 pound (16 tablespoons) per week. I started putting a tablespoon of grass fed butter in my coffee in the morning and it is yummy.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Well my "I can't believe its not butter" spray has 0 calories so I wonder what the calories are for the tub of it. Look into it...it may be low cal too!
  • mmapags
    Options

I beg to differ. Grapeseed oil is not as healthy as they make it seem. Most of it is rancid by the time it hits the grocery shelf.

There is nothing wrong with fat, it is not the enemy and butter is definitely not the enemy.

Can I get an Amen!! :laugh:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    you are better off using the butter than using a "butter substitute" remember butter is needed..cause its fat..and fat doesnt make you fat..unless you go overboard..

Considering its asking for 6 tbsp..how many people is this going to feed?...My diet consists of about 45-50% fat..which is healthy..and been maintaining since November...fat is not the enemy...so go ahead..use butter..!
  • mmapags
    Options

It is going in a dish for 6-8 people, so that is .75 - 1 tablespoon per serving. Not that much in the grand scheme of things.

I, personally, so through more than 1/2 pound (16 tablespoons) per week. I started putting a tablespoon of grass fed butter in my coffee in the morning and it is yummy.

I do the same with Bullet Proof Coffee. Also I agree as .75 tablespoon is only about 70 to 75 calories per serving. It would only be excessive if you were eating the whole thing yourself. You're not are you?? Are you......?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well my "I can't believe its not butter" spray has 0 calories so I wonder what the calories are for the tub of it. Look into it...it may be low cal too!

the whole low cal thing may not be good,. having a natural product..like butter...is better than something synthesized..may not be the best....all those chemicals are not good for one's body...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    FYI "reduced calorie" spreads have added water. No need to pay extra for water. As a prevoius poster said, reduce the butter & make up for it in broth.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

The butter is more of a flavor based thing. So, I may eliminate all the butter anyway.

If it's for the flavour replace it with a stock.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, there just isn't any substitute for butter. I make my mom's french toast recipe with half as much butter, and accept that while it will never taste like hers, it's healthier than hers and ALMOST as good, so I kind of get the best of both worlds.

On other things, though, I use olive oil. :wink:
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

This is what I use for everything. Love my 0 cal spray butter!!!

I lot of times you can skip the butter all together and add some almond milk or water. I guess it would depend on the recipe :) Good luck