Biggest Loser TV show and their eating......

Options
paj315
paj315 Posts: 335 Member
I know that they methods they use are not healthy and not sustainable for long term weight control. But what and how much do you think they eat to be able to fuel those kind of workouts? Do you think they "eat back" all their exercise calories?

I'm thinking that there's no way that they do otherwise they wouldn't lose those massive amounts of weight.

It kind of irks my that they focus SO much on the workouts when diet is really such a MAJOR factor.
I think it leaves the impression to the average viewer that they just need to workout more to lose weight, when really for the average viewer tightening up their diet is the answer.

What do you think?

Replies

• hazelevans1
    hazelevans1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    and if they dont eat back there cals wouldnt there body go into starvation mode like it says on here ?
  • paj315
    Options
    But if they did eat them back, there's no way they could create a deficit to lose 5-15 pounds in the week or so that they do.
  • hazelevans1
    hazelevans1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    some lose 6lb aweek and they weigh 15 stone , just doesnt make sense ,the only time i have lost that much is when i first started lol:happy:
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I know that they methods they use are not healthy and not sustainable for long term weight control. But what and how much do you think they eat to be able to fuel those kind of workouts? Do you think they "eat back" all their exercise calories?

I'm thinking that there's no way that they do otherwise they wouldn't lose those massive amounts of weight.

It kind of irks my that they focus SO much on the workouts when diet is really such a MAJOR factor.
    I think it leaves the impression to the average viewer that they just need to workout more to lose weight, when really for the average viewer tightening up their diet is the answer.

What do you think?

Why would the methods they use not be healthy or sustainable? They are training with a personal trainer and they have a nutritionist that assist them with learning how to eat. I mean I don't know either way but I just assume that it's the exact opposite. They are eating healthy and learning sustainable ways to eat...

As far as all the weight that they lose, that's ALL they focus on at the Ranch. They work out with the trainer probably for several hours and also on their own with what they call "homework" workout. Plus they are all carrying A LOT of weight so it makes sense that they would lose as much as they do. They will lose less at a time as they weigh less :) That's how I see it anyway :-D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    Always remember this is TV. What you see is not necessarily reality. Based on the reading I have done, a week on Biggest Loser is not always just a week. They want ratings, and to get those they need the big losses. While their ability to take people who are morbidly obese and have them lose so much weight is commendable, at the same time what they show is completely unrealistic.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    a good read on the biggest loser.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/biggest-loser-feedback.html

Most people dont have 4hrs a day 6 days a week to workout, thats why it isnt sustainable, and most of them gain their weight back off the ranch.
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I work with someone who knows a former contestant on the Biggest Loser (we are all from the same area). She told my coworker that every contestant must burn a minimum of 15000 calories a day through their workouts before they go to sleep. That's how they drop so much weight. I'm guessing they must eat enough to fuel their bodies through their workouts, while still limiting their calorie intake. Also, I heard the contestants have their "cheat " meal right after their weigh ins. All of this may not actually be the case, and it is reality TV, so there's a lot of editing for TV. Just thought I'd throw in what I've heard.
  • miller0438
    miller0438 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wish they would show more of what they eat
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    and if they dont eat back there cals wouldnt there body go into starvation mode like it says on here ?
    They do. The vast majority of Biggest Loser contestants (and even several of the winners) have gone on to gain most of the weight back after the show is over. They eat way too little and exercise way too much. It's a horrible show, and extremely unhealthy all around.

And that's not even getting into the fact that they also force the contestants to severely dehydrate themselves before a weigh in in order to produce bigger numbers.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

What do you think?

Why would the methods they use not be healthy or sustainable? They are training with a personal trainer and they have a nutritionist that assist them with learning how to eat. I mean I don't know either way but I just assume that it's the exact opposite. They are eating healthy and learning sustainable ways to eat...

As far as all the weight that they lose, that's ALL they focus on at the Ranch. They work out with the trainer probably for several hours and also on their own with what they call "homework" workout. Plus they are all carrying A LOT of weight so it makes sense that they would lose as much as they do. They will lose less at a time as they weigh less :) That's how I see it anyway :-D

They have them eating about a 1800 calorie diet a day......now tell me that's healthy. Even on all of Jillian Michael's dvd's and stuff and books she says not to work out every day etc
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've read a couple articles and interviews from contestants that said they stick to a strict 1,500 calorie a day diet.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They do. The vast majority of Biggest Loser contestants (and even several of the winners) have gone on to gain most of the weight back after the show is over.

Not true. Some have regained, but the majority actually have kept most of the weight off that they lost in the show, save for a few pounds.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    the biggest loser 'diet' is similar to slimfast it's shakes then a 500 cal meal a day. not that easy to keep going for the rest of your life.

Changing what and how you eat is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. Many do keep off the weight on it but it really is all about willpower no quick fixes.

They would'nt have a show if they did'nt lose big in those 8 weeks but they are trying to educate so it's not all bad.
  • paj315
    Options
    I work with someone who knows a former contestant on the Biggest Loser (we are all from the same area). She told my coworker that every contestant must burn a minimum of 15000 calories a day through their workouts before they go to sleep. That's how they drop so much weight. I'm guessing they must eat enough to fuel their bodies through their workouts, while still limiting their calorie intake. Also, I heard the contestants have their "cheat " meal right after their weigh ins. All of this may not actually be the case, and it is reality TV, so there's a lot of editing for TV. Just thought I'd throw in what I've heard.

Hmmm...15000 a day??? That can't be right. When I do say spin class for example, I burn about 650 cals per hour and that's pretty intense. So even if I worked out for 18 hours a day at that same intensity that would only be a burn of 11,700. I just don't think that can be right.
  • paj315
    Options

And that's not even getting into the fact that they also force the contestants to severely dehydrate themselves before a weigh in in order to produce bigger numbers.

I have heard about the dehydration methods they use. Not cool....
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

I have heard about the dehydration methods they use. Not cool....

It's a game people. It's the same as a wrestler trying to make weight. Why are we surprised? This show is not about getting healthy it is about winning money.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

What do you think?
    I listen to the Jillian Michael's podcast a lot and she broke it down. From what I remember the girls are on 1200 and the boys are on 15-1600. Their burn each day was in the thousands. 3-6000 a day I think depending on the size of the contestant. Then once a week they would eat at maintenance. 2000 for girls 2500 for boys. I'd be STARVING. Even when they dip down into the 140-130's they still seem to keep losing...no starvation mode...it's interesting
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

What do you think?
    I listen to the Jillian Michael's podcast a lot and she broke it down. From what I remember the girls are on 1200 and the boys are on 15-1600. Their burn each day was in the thousands. 3-6000 a day I think depending on the size of the contestant. Then once a week they would eat at maintenance. 2000 for girls 2500 for boys. I'd be STARVING. Even when they dip down into the 140-130's they still seem to keep losing...no starvation mode...it's interesting

They're starving too honey. It's why they're cranky all the time. LOL.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to eat around 1500 a day and wasn't starving at all...as a veggie lover I consumed lots of them and they kept me full.
  • Marty_D
    Marty_D Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    excellent point someone made about it being a contest. I'm not sure its the best example to follow based on the rapid weight losses that are seen. The show often claims to have the health of the entire nation as their motivation but they are a business. The methods they use are not realistic for the day to day existence of most people. Not likely someone will be working out for 8 or 10 hours a day!