Online Dating?

Options

Replies

• nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend online at plentyoffish.com. I was just browsing and not really planning on dating anyone for awhile because I had just recently got out of a relationship, but his profile caught my eye. We talked for a month before we met, then we just clicked even more in person.

We've been together for over a year now, and I've never been happier.

I had also met my ex online and he was fricken nuts! Just have to be careful and make sure you talk to them lots before you meet them.
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    Here is a quick, funny story... A few years ago, I was on Match.com. I read the profile of a very pretty woman so I sent her a "wink" and a quick message. I never heard back from that woman. Fast forward a couple years and I had met and started dating a wonderful woman that I met through work. One night, she was cleaning out her email folders (she saves EVERY email) and she came across a "wink" and a message from a guy on Match. It was the "wink" and message I sent her a couple years earlier. We just got married this past October (check out my profile picture). Even though we didn't meet through the online dating site, it all worked out in the end and I couldn't be happier!!!

talk about destiny, nice story :)
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I met practically every guy ever dated online, including my first and current husbands.

Met my first husband and a slew of losers on AOL, back in the day. After my divorce, I started out with Plenty of Fish and OK Cupid. Fish was ok, but the OK Cupid site was nothing but 22 year old guys looking for a cougar fling. I am 35 and have NOTHING in common with a 22 year old.

I stepped out of my comfort zone and signed up with BBpeoplemeet.com and that is where I met my husband. We have been together for just ove 2 years, and have been married for 3 months. He is the sweetest, most genuine person I have ever met, and we probably would have never met without that site.

I totally recommend the sites, but just urge you to be careful. I dated 5 carbon copies of my exhusband before I decided to go the complete opposite direction and gave my (now) hubby a chance. Best decision I ever made.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I met my husband through an online dating site. We'll be married 9 years in April. I met a few nice guys, one kinda creepy one, but overall, it was a great experience!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Pros - you have a "menu" of people in front of you to choose from your living room.

Cons - hmmm where to begin.

* For every one actual single available women on a dating site there are typically going to be 50 guys of varying availabilities after her. This typically means you have to have something about you that *really* stands out since if you send a message to any female, you can bet she's gotten 49 other inboxes from 49 other guys saying 49 other things.

* Many people on those sites are not really single. They are testing the waters or after a fling. Many times those people are not open about their status and you end up becoming a 3rd person.

* A lot of people on those sites are also not interested in anything serious and so again it takes a lot of effort to find anyone wanting something real

* For women, having to sift through 100 naked torso pictures and genitalia pictures can be daunting and overwhelming.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i thought that was why we were all HERE..............
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on Chemistry.com (not sure if its still exists). It turned out to be the best thing I ever did. We've been together about 2 1/2 years now and he's the love of my life :love:
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on AOL when it first came out. When AOL was all the world new as the internet LOL. We have been married for 13 years with 5 children! I was only 19 at the time when we met and no it wasn't a dating site but we found love over the internet and got married 2 years later.

It is possible!
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i met one from myspace.com who was a waste-of-space.com lol but met my bf on one now and been together 3 years xxx
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Loads of bad experiences, but than the very best experience of my entire life made it worth it =]. I met my boyfriend of almost 2 years online. We had gone to different high schools in the same area but participated in activities together but never met. I'm soooo thankful to have had the chance to meet him though!

If you do it be SUPER safe! Bring a friend that at least is near by.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match.com. Granted I met a lot of idiots it was well worth it in the end!
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Options
    Good experiences...married someone I met in person,but it can be a great thing! I had about 3 great guys to 1 wierdo!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Met my husband on Yahoo. I figured I would meet guys I would go out with in a bar. At least on the interweb I was at home. I only dated people that had no problem letting me talk to their friends and gave a job number.

I would check them out the best I could. My first dates were lunch dates. When We finally went out on a date I would leave information with my Mom, just in case I went missing.

Someone suggested to go out with the military guys, we have a lot of them in our area. SO, I did.
    HE had put some goofy post up about some rich older lady, tired of cleaning and in need of a date. I was a few months older and tired of cleaning my friends apt. that I just started subletting. (it was nasty) SO I said sure.

That was 8 yrs ago, we have 3 kids together and we are headed for Germany. He is USAF
    He is my Love and I miss him right now, he went ahead to fill an early slot. I had to stay to let my 18yr old graduate from his school.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see so many good stories come out of online dating because all of mine were terrible! Not one person I "met" was looking for anything other than the pysical aspect, even though I specifically said on my profile "I am looking for a long term relationship, NOT just looking to hook up"...so after I gave up the online thing I reconnected with my high school boyfriend and we were married this past October!
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    i know several people that it has worked for, however, there are creepers out there.... my friend met a guy on plenty of fish, seemed nice, respectable, held a job, etc etc. turns out, he was in a relationship living with someone and had a longgggggggggggg history of lying/cheating/completely being a different person and was just looking for some action. she later found out he even had dating profiles when he was married.... if the profile suddenly disappears, and then a new profile appears... beware!!!! Any little sign of "this is weird" should make you think twice. and also, dating sites seem to be better in larger cities, we live in a small town and the dating pool is limited, even online.
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match.com in 2008 and we married in 2010. He's absolutely wonderful, but I had many, many dates before I met him -- some were fun, but just not for me. Others were just completely not what they claimed to be. Just be choosy and don't compromise on things that really matter to you.
  • wigglelee
    Options
    i met my babe online,, most sweet, charming person i never knew,,
    i say you go for it, and you will see for yourself!! but i m thankfull for my online babe,,lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    online dating site...... anyone experienced this before? any good experience? too many bad experiences?
    You beleive yuo can truly meet someone compatible for you? Or do you think its just a waste of time, just looking for quick fun chit-chat?

My Wife's cousin met his wife on one, they have been together a few years now and have a daughter.
  • BluegrassGuy
    Options
    I think it's very much like "real" life. You often wade through a bunch of weirdos before you meet the right one. :)
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on match.com, you have to sift through all the fling seekers but it is worth it if you find someone who loves you and who you love.