HR "zones" question- please help

Options
Hey all, i am hoping someone can explain this to me.
I have a Polar FT-7. This week when it gave me my weekly summary, it says to train less in Zone 3. I asked my instructor of my fitness class last night, but she only had a quick second to talk before her appointment, and she said that yes, i need to pay attention to this.

Can someone explain why? I do bootcamp, cardio kickboxing, etc so in order to have more time in Zone 2 (lower hear rate) it would essentially mean not pushing myself as hard. That seems counter intuitive if i want to get stronger, more fit, burn calories, etc.

Not sure what you might need for info, i am 5'1", starting weight 193.6 currently weigh about 155. I am turning 32 in about 2 weeks.

I dont have my HRM with me at the moment, so i cant access specific numbers and such, but i know my highest HR during last nights workout was 182, but i only got that high once. i think the average was 160 something.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It's garbage.

Years ago exercise machine manufactuers and others wanting to sell the idea of "easy" fat loss bastardised the results of a clinical study that showed that during the exercise period, subjects experienced a greater amount of fat loss using lower intensity exercise. What they failed to include was that the study also showed that the metabolic effects once the exercise stopped continued for far, far, far longer in the high intensity subjects for a much greater fat burning effect overall.

I forget the name of the study but goodle will surely point you there.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
  • ChrDG
    ChrDG Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a happy Polar FT80 user. The zones are obviously depending on getting your HR max correct. If you do not know your real HRmax, Polar will guess that it is 220 minus your age (220-32=188). The fact that you have seen a value of 182 makes me believe that your HR max is quite a bit higher than 188. Adjusting your HRmax upwards would also give you higher training zones.
    Personally I have seen 189 on my Polar 6 years ago after finishing a 6K race, I felt close to dying, so I believe it must have been pretty close to my HRmax. Polar would have guessed 178 as HRmax for my at that time.

Otherwise, the (Polar) theory is that a best way to build endurance is to train a lot in zone 2 (70-80% of max), less in zone 3 (80-90% of max). You should check the Polar Forum (accessible from www.polarpersonaltrainer.com) - you will probably find some good information there - or you can post your question there as well.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    all very helpful responses, thank you. How would i know my true max heart rate if the calculation 220- is not accurate?
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bump as I have the same questions regarding zones and my true max heart rate. I also use the FT7
  • ChrDG
    Options
    HR max (or VO2 max) should ideally be tested in a laboratory, but that would be very costly.
    This article is recommended at the Polar forum:

http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

You could easily do the described Submax step test or Submax 1-mile walking test (or perhaps one day a 5K race test) - just to check if your number is very different from 220-age.

Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, the (Polar) theory is that a best way to build endurance is to train a lot in zone 2 (70-80% of max), less in zone 3 (80-90% of max). You should check the Polar Forum (accessible from www.polarpersonaltrainer.com) - you will probably find some good information there - or you can post your question there as well.
    My HRM manual shows the following:
    Zone 2: 60-70% of max, the Temperate Zone, a comfortable, cruise zone.

Zone 3: 70-80% of max, the Aerobic or sweat zone, results in improved functional capacity of blood vessels; endorphins are released and more calories are burned.

Zone 4: 80-90% of max, the Threshold Zone; working in this zone a couple days per week will help improve your fitness level. Too much work in this zone can cause overtraining. Lots of calories are burned and you must eat to replace carbohydrates.

Zone 5: 90-100% of max, it is a high, hot, hard zone with the highest number of calories burned. As you get very fit, this zone will help improve your performance, but you should not stay there or overtraining may result.

Spending time in different zones gives you different benefits. For example, Zone 4 workouts make you stronger, but too many without rest may lead to overtraining. Zone 2 workouts are great for recovery or endurance building, but too many workouts here may keep you from increasing your personal fat-burning range.

Sounds like your Polar has Zone 3 pegged at 80-90% of max. The principle is the same as above, it's OK to workout in this zone a couple days per week. Add strength training workouts 2-3 times per week so you're working in a lower zone. Or try pilates or walking.
  • ChrDG
    Options
    The Polar FT7 and FT80 only operates with 3 zones - zone 1: 60-70%, zone 2: 70-80% and zone 3: 80-90%. And yes, the main part of the training should be done in 70-80% (zone 2 for these models)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    thanks, i do some activity that is lower intensity, but it seems to me that its probably ok for me to push as hard as i do during the high intensity classes i do.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have only ever trained in zone 3. On almost every run, my HRM beeps at me for a couple minuts because I am at 100+% of my Max HR. I have tried to be in zone 2 but it just doesn't happen. As we get more fit it will start to lower. I have lost 17 Lbs in 7 weeks and gained lots of strength and muscle while being in zone 3. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, my resting heart rate is 80. Right in the middle of normal so it's not like my heart beats faster then most peoples.

exercise.png
  • ChrDG
    Options
    I have only ever trained in zone 3. On almost every run, my HRM beeps at me for a couple minuts because I am at 100+% of my Max HR. I have tried to be in zone 2 but it just doesn't happen. As we get more fit it will start to lower. I have lost 17 Lbs in 7 weeks and gained lots of strength and muscle while being in zone 3. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, my resting heart rate is 80. Right in the middle of normal so it's not like my heart beats faster then most peoples.

exercise.png

You are right that as we get more fit, we will do the same effort at a lower HR. But you have obviously a wrong HRmax set - a 100% HR max is not something you see on your HR monitor every now and then during exercise....