splitting weight sets

Options
I have added strength training to my routine, and I LOVE it. I have a somewhat silly question. I lift three times a week. I know there are other solutions to my situation, but I specifically need to know if there is any disadvantage in terms of training to doing one set of my workout before my spin class and then do the other two sets after the spin class. The gym opens at 5:15, spin starts at 5:35, goes for an hour, and I would like to be able to see my son before he goes to school. I can do both spin and weight training if I can do the first set before spin and go back to it after spin, However, I don't want to make my strength training less effective.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    bump
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Its really going to depend on how intense your spin class is, your weight routine...and what you're doing before and after.

If it was me, I wouldnt do them together as I could not take a spin class right after squats.. and I couldnt squat right after a spin class.. if they were 5 hours apart, sure...

I suppose if I had to do it, id break it up so that Id do squats and deadlifts before spin class, then overhead press/benchpress/rows etc after class... kind of a lower first, then upper split.

but really, you need a rest in between so your muscles can recover and build some reserve. At any part of the day I can run 5 miles, or I can do squats.. but once I have done one, theres no way I could do the other for atleast an hour... maybe longer.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Tomorrow is upper body - so I may be able to swing it, but you make perfect sense. I appreciate your comments!