Caffeine

Options
Does anyone know the effects caffeine has on weight loss? I always thought that if it gave you the energy to get up and go that that it would be beneficial.

Replies

• annaslater
    annaslater Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the effects caffeine has on weight loss? I always thought that if it gave you the energy to get up and go that that it would be beneficial.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I know that coffee in particular has health benefits (yes there are some no so good side effects too) and it has been proven that drinking 12 oz about 1/2 to an hour before a workout can actually boost your perfomance.

Personally I love to have a small iced coffee before a workout on days that I am low on energy, I usually get a great workout in and the 70 calories my iced coffee costs me is worth the 500+ I end up burning :wink:

http://www.teeccino.com/weightloss.aspx (quote from web site below)

Caffeine intake often perpetuates many of the factors contributing to weight gain and continued obesity. Coffee and caffeine intake aggravates stress, including physical, mental, and emotional stress, leading to increased levels of the glucocorticoids including cortisol. A well documented relationship exists between chronically elevated levels of these stress hormones and deposition of excess fat in the abdomen leading to obesity as well as increased caloric intake, particularly increased ingestion of fats and sugars.4

No matter what you are going to find pros and cons to caffeine and many other foods, you should do some research and inform yourself of some of the different opinions and choose the one that best works with your personal goals and lifestyle.

:drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    This is from the mayo clinic website

Question
    Caffeine: Can it help me lose weight?Does caffeine increase weight loss?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    A few studies indicate that caffeine may slightly enhance weight loss in people who exercise and maintain a low-fat diet. But there's no evidence that increased caffeine intake results in significant or permanent weight loss.

Marketers of fad diets and weight-loss supplements often exaggerate the benefits of caffeine, claiming that caffeine will significantly curb your appetite and help you drop pounds quickly. However, clinical studies on the relationship between caffeine and weight loss don't support these claims.

Here's what researchers have found:

Caffeine may act as an appetite suppressant. However, while studies have shown that some people eat less after consuming caffeine, this effect is brief — not long enough to lead to significant weight loss.

Caffeine may increase your body's ability to burn calories. Caffeine is thought to stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. However, caffeine's role in thermogenesis probably isn't enough to result in significant weight loss.

Caffeine acts as a diuretic, which means it causes an increase in the amount of urine you excrete. This water loss may temporarily decrease your body weight.

It's important to keep in mind that caffeine is a stimulant that can increase your heart rate and blood pressure, interrupt your sleep, and cause nervousness and irritability. Also, many caffeinated beverages are high in calories, which can contribute to unwanted weight gain.
  • cheli
    cheli Posts: 40
    Options
    I've actually been having some amazing workouts lately due to caffeine. My trainer even commented on it. He was a little disappointed to find out that it was artificial energy, and not me just getting in shape, lol, but it helps SO much! It also curbs my appetite. If I don't have some sort of caffeine with my breakfast I find I'm hungry 30-60 min later even if my meal is large and/or full of nutrients.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Personally it has not effected my weight loss and I drink about four cups a day with sugar (gasp):smile:

It does give me a little pick me up!

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/5/591
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is from the mayo clinic website

Question
    Caffeine: Can it help me lose weight?Does caffeine increase weight loss?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    A few studies indicate that caffeine may slightly enhance weight loss in people who exercise and maintain a low-fat diet. But there's no evidence that increased caffeine intake results in significant or permanent weight loss.

Marketers of fad diets and weight-loss supplements often exaggerate the benefits of caffeine, claiming that caffeine will significantly curb your appetite and help you drop pounds quickly. However, clinical studies on the relationship between caffeine and weight loss don't support these claims.

Here's what researchers have found:

Caffeine may act as an appetite suppressant. However, while studies have shown that some people eat less after consuming caffeine, this effect is brief — not long enough to lead to significant weight loss.

Caffeine may increase your body's ability to burn calories. Caffeine is thought to stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. However, caffeine's role in thermogenesis probably isn't enough to result in significant weight loss.

Caffeine acts as a diuretic, which means it causes an increase in the amount of urine you excrete. This water loss may temporarily decrease your body weight.

It's important to keep in mind that caffeine is a stimulant that can increase your heart rate and blood pressure, interrupt your sleep, and cause nervousness and irritability. Also, many caffeinated beverages are high in calories, which can contribute to unwanted weight gain.

I see the ill effects of too much caffeine every day. I agree that something like a nice coffee before a work out may be good but once you go past 3 cups a day--and in Tennessee we have that there Mountain Dew---I find the problems increase---poor sleep (screws up REM sleep), heart palpitations, anxiety, irritable overactive bladder and bowel, increase reflux, elevated blood pressure--daily headaches if you don't get your fix etc.

Also, I would wager that MOST people get their caffeine from a non-diet soda - which adds on empty calories and usually comes in 2 serving bottles drunk by one person.

I have never met anybody who didn't feel better by really cutting back on caffeine and limiting it to 1-2 cups a day.

I drink 8 oz of diet coke a day---after that ---water
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I just read that caffeine causes insulin spikes (as does sugar for example) according to Dr. Agatston of the South Beach diet. He recommends two or less caffeinated beverages per day.

Dr. Berenstein (creator of the Berenstein Diet) describes caffeine as a hunger driver, and suggests that people eat more, in the long run, when caffeine is in their diet (not initially, but as the caffeine effects wear off).

Susanne Somers (Somersizing diet) also cites the hormal inbalances (insulin issues) related to caffeine as reason to avoid it.

I personally drink coffee every morning, and at least two cups of green tea every day. Do what works for you, and be aware of the information out there!
    :flowerforyou: