3 day, 60 mile walk in Philadelphia 2012

Options
Hey all,

I am doing the 3 day 60 mile walk for breast cancer in Philadelphia this year...and was wondering who had done it in the past or are doing it this year?

Any tips you can offer on training for it? was it what you had expected? do you have any fundraising tips? A girlfriend and I are doing it this year...and we need all the advice we can get on where to start, and how hard to train, whats expected ahead...etc.

Thanks =)

Replies

• beeka2ked
    beeka2ked Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I too am doing the 3day walk. However Im doing the one in Dallas in Nov. This is my first one so I cant offer any training advice. I've heard that they provide a sample training plan but havent looked at it. Ive just been trying to do ALOT of cardio training and tracking my daily miles. My friend and I are planning to start trying to do distance walking outside soon just to see where we are. Please feel free to share any tips and I will do the same. When is the Philadelphia walk?
    Fundraising has been difficult since all of the news hit in late Jan. I said I would let it die out a little before I start "bothering" people again. A friend that did the walk a few years ago said she did a garage sale with all the proceeds going toward her goal.
  • khedl85
    khedl85 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Maybe Im sheltered here....what news??

The 3 day in Philly is Oct 5th-7th...fundraising has been hard...we need to raise 4600 between the two of us and I think we have a whopping $200 LOL

any tips you guys find along the way...pass on. I was kinda upset to read that if we dont fundraise enough that we cant walk...pftt I think the amount is outrageous and anyone willing to donate anything should be allowed to contribute and participate...theyd have a bigger gathering Id think.

We are also doing the color run...have you guys looked into that?? that looks like a BLAST! http://thecolorrun.com/
    check it out!
  • beeka2ked
    beeka2ked Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When the organization announced they would no longer support Planned Parenthood then a few days later retracted the decision. Alot of people are now kinda "iffy" about donating.

Ok. The Dallas walk it Nov 2-4. I totally agree fundraising is harder than actually training LOL My friend and I are planning to become a team. So far I have $35 in donations. I feel the minimum fundraising goal is a bit extreme and not being allowed to walk if you dont raise the minimum is insane. I hope to meet the goal but if not I will still feel good about having done my best for a good cause.

I havent heard of the color run. I will check out the site.
  • whiteangelrose69
    Options
    Def getting in shape for this is a big one for me... Any tips Ill too accept, i think with this weight training will help too