Any other photographers?

Options

Replies

• peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I shoot a Nikon D300 and LOVE it! Have always shot with Nikons other than when I tried using the Fuji S2 and did not nearly like it as well as my Nikon cameras (menu was just not as user friendly in my opinion). I own a D70, several D80's, a D200 and two D300's. I also have a D2H that I shoot when doing action shots. I specialize in youth sports photography and have been getting paid for my passion for the past 9 years. My favorite glass is my 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 Nikkor lens. I do also own 1.4 50mm fixed lens for low light photography (perfect for gymnastics with no flash), a 28-105mm 3.5-5.6 Nikkor lens, a 24-135mm 2.8-4.5 Sigma lens and my other fav is my 28-300mm 3.5-5.6 Nikkor lens . Never have I owned a cannon camera, although I do respect the color and contrast that comes from them digitally, as I have several photographers that work for me that own them.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I use a Canon 7D & 550D as a backup. Started doing mostly travel and nature, then got into portraits & weddings, etc a couple years ago. Went to school for graphic design, but i love photography the most. Although I'm still working full-time at the 9-5 job, I hope to make the leap to full-time photography sooooon!! :D The business part of it is crazy exhausting and difficult... I think taking business classes is the best thing to do if you want to make it a career.

Here's my page: http://www.capturedbybrooke.com/blog and facebook: https://www.facebook.com/capturedbybrooke
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    has anyone had a look at any of my pics?

Would appreciate some feedback :)
    I like your concert shots

On you water splash/stop motions, you might want to crop it in so it is only on the action and we don't see the plastic container.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    OK. I'mgonna be the odd one in the group. I photograph..... RETINAS !
    Ophthalmic photographer actually. Used to run portrait studios and photo labs before, but it's all about the eyes now. LOL

Topcon 50IX
    Zeiss FF450plus
    Specialize in Retinal angiography
    15+ years

VERY interesting!! :)
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    has anyone had a look at any of my pics?

Would appreciate some feedback :)
    I like your concert shots

Thanks :) one of the bands is actually my boyfriend's.. they're called Courson and I reckon they're the next big thing :)
  • blessmy5
    Options
    I've been in business 7 years and shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II. Seniors, babies and families. LOVE my seniors and fashion!!! My site is www.joyceEveler.com.
  • criscricket
    Options
    Canon 5D Mark II. Was pro, retired. Now a 9 to 5 slob. Hated the business of it. It was exhausting.

Just shoot people. That's my thing. Love street photography, that's just shooting people doing their thing.

Want to publish a book, but I'm too lazy.

I love the enthusiasm here! Street photography is pretty cool, but I worry about freaking people out by taking their picture..

Do you ask them before you do it or just go for it?

go for it!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Still learning all about the apetures and ISO and shutter speeds.....Nikon D3000.
  • mickipedia
    Options
    I've been in business 7 years and shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II. Seniors, babies and families. LOVE my seniors and fashion!!! My site is www.joyceEveler.com.

wow.. just had a look at your website and your photos look amazing!

I'd love to get that good :)
  • mickipedia
    Options
    Canon 5D Mark II. Was pro, retired. Now a 9 to 5 slob. Hated the business of it. It was exhausting.

Just shoot people. That's my thing. Love street photography, that's just shooting people doing their thing.

I love the enthusiasm here! Street photography is pretty cool, but I worry about freaking people out by taking their picture..

go for it!

Don't you get people asking you what you're doing?

I can imagine annoying A LOT of people lol
  • blessmy5
    Options

wow.. just had a look at your website and your photos look amazing!

I'd love to get that good :)

Why thank you! :smile:
  • trishka48
    trishka48 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Me!
    Polaroid sx-70
    Holga
    Olympus Pen EPL-2 ( Digital)
    Ttv with a Argus 75

I shoot people, pets, plants and pretty scenes.
    I do some commercial work, but mainly it is my heaviest hobby.
    Here is my Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetiepea/

Feel free to add me :) I love talking photos!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Yeah, sorry. It's your worst nightmare when something you loved to do starts being work. The problem with the business is its like 5% shooting and 95% desk job. It really is not what it seems. And, it's a very expensive business to run. Successful businesses keep about 20 to 30% of their profits for themselves. The rest go back into the business and taxes. It's rough. It's more fun now because instill have clients that call me, and I take jobs I want without the pressure of monthly bills. Just yesterday a guy I know that owns a wheels making business asked if I'd be interested in shooting for a catalog and some advertising. I had to turn it down because I just shoot people. Product photography is not my thing and I don't find it interesting.

Anyways, there are different techniques you can use out on the streets. But, having the right attitude is a must. And, you cannot be afraid or it will not work. In some cases you get in there and talk to people. I have business cards made up and I'll hand them out and explain what I am doing. I'll talk about things with them, then, they let me in and I can shoot. Other times, you sneak shots without even having the camera up at your face, so you guess a lot and no one even knows you're shooting. You're guessing focus, settings, and the frame. But it's fun later to see if you got the shot.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Have an all manual vivitar camera -- lot easier when I had a darkroom

I have a Sony NEX5 and I bought a zoom lens to shoot rugby games and I shoot anything in low light especially my friend DJ-ing. It captures color really well with no flash.
  • tiffster4
    tiffster4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    About Me :o)

Canon Rebel XSi

I love anything abstract, landscape, and portrait. Over the last 4 years I have found that I tend to like portrait photography the most. Especially since having my son a year ago! I love capturing his little personallity! I hope to branch out and do newborn sessions one day and I would LOVE the opportunity to do a birthing session!!

I guess the above answers the "how long" question. It started as a hobby in college. I'm in the process of starting a business but it has been put on hold because I have at least 30 more pounds that I would like to lose. I'm putting myself first because I think anyone would rather do photography than workout lol ;o)

I can't wait to check out everyone's pages! Please, if you "like" my photography page write me a little note so I can be sure to return the love!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiffany-Seas-Photography/171112146301324?sk=app_129982580378550
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    About Me :o)

Canon Rebel XSi

I love anything abstract, landscape, and portrait. Over the last 4 years I have found that I tend to like portrait photography the most. Especially since having my son a year ago! I love capturing his little personallity! I hope to branch out and do newborn sessions one day and I would LOVE the opportunity to do a birthing session!!

I guess the above answers the "how long" question. It started as a hobby in college. I'm in the process of starting a business but it has been put on hold because I have at least 30 more pounds that I would like to lose. I'm putting myself first because I think anyone would rather do photography than workout lol ;o)

I can't wait to check out everyone's pages! Please, if you "like" my photography page write me a little note so I can be sure to return the love!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiffany-Seas-Photography/171112146301324?sk=app_129982580378550
    Very nice work
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Nikon D90
    Architecture & Portraits
    "How long" is difficult. I shot quite a bit when I was younger, but then stopped for some reason. DW & I have gotten back into it the last four years or so.
    Here is a link to my Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2daydesigns/

Anyone is free to add me here or on Flickr.
  • tiffster4
    tiffster4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    very cool! i actually went to college for graphic design but found my love for photography in the process! nice work! :o)

***Supposed to be to Dan. Sorry I hit reply instead of quote lol
  • mickipedia
    Options
    I think I've been in love with photography my entire life but I was never allowed to play with my parents'/grandparents' cameras because obviously back then it would have wasted film.. I was quite often bought disposible camera and I loved them :)

I've got some pretty good pictures with disposible cameras in the past :)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Nikon D90
    Architecture & Portraits
    "How long" is difficult. I shot quite a bit when I was younger, but then stopped for some reason. DW & I have gotten back into it the last four years or so.
    Here is a link to my Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2daydesigns/

Anyone is free to add me here or on Flickr.

Just had a quick look through your portrait folders...Some cracking pics in there...

feel free to have at a few i`ve done..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yourimage/