what is your daily protein amount?

Options
How do you decide how much protein you aim for on a daily basis? I think increasing my protein certainly helps me lose weight, I'm just unsure what is the right amount for me.

Replies

• SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I just left it what MFP has it set at, but I try to get at least 100 a day even though that is way more than MFP suggests.
  • blessmy5
    Options
    I do 40% carbs, 30% fat & 30% protein. need to drop a little weight but mostly need to build muscle. Seems to be working for me and I'm not hungry.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I strive to hit 100, not always successful but i try.
  • Ctripp86
    Options
    I left it at the MFP recommendation which is 45. I didn't know that we could alter that. Will it help to lose weight if I eat more protein? There is a lot I don't know about this...
  • raylenel
    Options
    So do you reset your daily protein amount to be 100?
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i have my macros set at 40/30/30 and I usually end up with 100-120 protein a day, sometimes higher on weight lifting days.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I average 150, I lift heavy and usually eat clean Tuesday through Friday. I get most of it from protein shakes too :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are working out regularly the rule of thumb is .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. If you know or can estimate your body fat % then you can figure it. Eg, 150 lbs at 20% BF is 30 lbs BF. Lean body mass is then 120 lbs. That would mean 96 to 120 grams of protien daily. If working out, this is very helpful is helping your body to repair muscle tissue. For the ladies, don't worry, you will not "bulk up" doing this. It will not suddenly make you have big muscles. It will just repair and help recover from workouts.
  • Brademert
    Options
    I eat as many grams as my body muscle mass is in lbs. IE I have roughly 165lbs of muscle mass so I try to eat 165g more or less of protein. I rarely have a day under 150g for my body size. Typically over 180g of protein per day all while staying within my calorie goal. It is allowing me to shed pounds pretty quickly. 22 lbs since Jan. 9th and I had a terrible week where I gained 4 lbs. (Calorie count was over 12k for the week).

My protein intake works for me. Just make sure you get a decent balance as stated in the above posts.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 for me too. I try to hit at least 100g a day. Not always successful, but some days I'm well over that too.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Try to hit a minimum of 100 per day.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    350-375g a day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100, I usually get at least 80.
  • masterjosue
    masterjosue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are working out regularly the rule of thumb is .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. If you know or can estimate your body fat % then you can figure it. Eg, 150 lbs at 20% BF is 30 lbs BF. Lean body mass is then 120 lbs. That would mean 96 to 120 grams of protien daily. If working out, this is very helpful is helping your body to repair muscle tissue. For the ladies, don't worry, you will not "bulk up" doing this. It will not suddenly make you have big muscles. It will just repair and help recover from workouts.

This is pretty much on point. Personally I take in roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, not necessarily LEAN body weight, just weight in general. I weigh 165 right now, so I shoot for 165 grams. To me that's the easiest way to figure it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    50/25/25 for me. But for the most part, I aim for at least 100g of protein, and let the rest fall where they may. Some days I'm over on fat, some days I'm over on carbs.
  • katzblood
    Options
    I do 40% carbs, 30% fat & 30% protein. need to drop a little weight but mostly need to build muscle. Seems to be working for me and I'm not hungry.

This.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I try to get around 125-150g a day while lifitng heavy.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am always at right about 100 without trying. I like protein. I notice the days I eat less protein I am over in fat.
    I just left what MFP says and dont mind the red everyday.
    My husband says unless I am trying to bulk up I dont need that much protein. But if I need to go over somewhere I rather it be there than fat or carbs.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Approx 150g. This is because I aim for around my body weight (in lbs) in protein (g)
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My macro splits are the same as below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!