Mind Boggeled...

Options
Ok I need advice on weight training.... I've read on many different occasions that when using hand weights you should use lighter with more reps, then I also read that you should use heavier weights with lesser reps..... I'm a bit confused :huh: I'm using had weight for my upper body routine i.e arm curls, kickback, chest presses, etc using 5lb weights and 20 reps for two sets... I have over 50 lbs to lose and I am doing my cardio but need to know what's the best method for toning up my arms, etc.?

Replies

• Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ok I need advice on weight training.... I've read on many different occasions that when using hand weights you should use lighter with more reps, then I also read that you should use heavier weights with lesser reps..... I'm a bit confused :huh: I'm using had weight for my upper body routine i.e arm curls, kickback, chest presses, etc using 5lb weights and 20 reps for two sets... I have over 50 lbs to lose and I am doing my cardio but need to know what's the best method for toning up my arms, etc.?
  • pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    Best place that I've found info on weight training is bodybuilding.com.

They have an entire section for women. :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to tone you want to do lighter weights and more reps. You can increase, well eventually you will want to increase, the weight because your body catches on to what you are doing and you have to give more to get more.

My daughter had to create a routine for PE and we asked teh advice of a few people at the gym and you want to do the reps you talked about only instead of 2 sets you want to do more like 4 sets. I will admit it took about 3 months of consistent training to see changes, but it always takes you longer to notice changes in you. :wink:
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Your weight routine depends on what you are trying to achieve. Like the others have said, a low weight high rep routine works really well for toning muscles if you are doing the proper excercises with the weight. Higher weight and lower reps (10-12 per set for example) is more for building muscle mass which I think anyone looking to lose fat weight should do.
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Best place that I've found info on weight training is bodybuilding.com.

They have an entire section for women. :)

I just checked out the above site and it's awesome! Thanks...