Push Ups!

Options
BAMFMeredith
BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
Push ups. It's as if my body refuses to be able to do them. I am not a stranger to lifting weights and I do strength training frequently. But for some reason, push ups are just like this impossible to master task--unless I do them on my knees.

Well, last night, I DID IT. I did 3 sets of 8 full push ups. Not on my knees, legs extended, proper form and everything. Now, you might say "3 sets of 8? Uh that's not that many..." but for the first time in my entire life I can actually do them! Now, to get better at them so that I can do more and officially make push ups my b!tch. :)

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great news, well done.
  • NSkip4
    NSkip4 Posts: 21
    Options
    Well done that's great! Push ups are already your *****!
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    Great Stuff!! I am the same way with sit ups...Probably why my gut is still what it is :(
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! I thought I was going to be forever on my knees! Gives me hope! I won't be a sissy girl forever! lol:bigsmile:
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Push Ups makes me curse....LOL. Great job friend! Great NSV!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Like a BOSS!!
  • taranj21
    taranj21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    thats awesome!!
    how many did you start with?
    i used to not even be able to do girl pushups, i can do 10 girl pushups, and about 1 regular,
    i'm trying to work myself up to be able to do regular ones!!
    congratulations, huge accomplishment!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I still can't even do one! I am impressed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome! No more girly pushups, no more girly pushups! Great job you beast you!
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    Well done, I love push ups, it feels really good to be able to do them again.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I think that's impressive. I can only do 22 in a row, so good job!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    3x8 isn't bad you know! I'd have been impressed with 1 set haha! For me it was more my technique than me not being able to do them, I just wasn't in the right positions to put the power down so to say. My pullup bar helps with that now, it's got hand bits for pressups and I know exactly how to do them now without injuring myself!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    thats awesome!!
    how many did you start with?
    i used to not even be able to do girl pushups, i can do 10 girl pushups, and about 1 regular,
    i'm trying to work myself up to be able to do regular ones!!
    congratulations, huge accomplishment!

I started with the knee pushups, and once I could do 3 sets of 10 relatively easily, I tried the full push ups. I could barely do 3 or 4! But I just kept at it. Finally, I got through all 3 sets of 8 without having to drop to my knees...I almost jumped up and down I was so excited---but I was at the gym and that would've been kinda awkward :)
  • birdieintx
    Options
    That is great!!!! And I know just what you mean bc I'm stuck doing girl pushups too. I always start with regular ones and do a few but then I have to drop to my knees. I get excited when I add one more before dropping though.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Nice work!!!
  • peaceinside
    Options
    So cool...I too have a huge problem with them. I still do the "girly" push ups but always try to do the "real" ones first and I am up to 3 and thought that was big. 3 sets of 8 is AWESOME!!!! Congrats!!!
    Peace :flowerforyou:
  • dbower18
    dbower18 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is a technique call diminished rest interval training. Take the maximum number of push-ups you can do with perfect form and divide by two. Let's say your number is 4. Do three sets of 4 with 60 seconds of rest between each set. Do this two or three days a week. Each week reduce your interval rest by 15 seconds till you are doing 12 perfect form push ups without rest. Then add a set.

You can also add difficulty by using P90 X method of 4 slow count, 4 fast, then alternate to max. You can also work different muscles by using wide stance, military and diamond stance.

Good Luck
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    That is super awesome

I still can barely do one normal push up (absolutely no upper body strength)

so great accomplishment!!!
  • mckramer1999
    mckramer1999 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Pushups are also my nemesis. I can do the bent knee ones with ease, but I can't do the real ones at all. It feels like I am going to break something!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!