Tea Drinking

What are the benifits of drinking any types of tea?

Replies

• MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Most teas are loaded with anti-oxidants. I find that drinking tea in the afternoon makes me less hungry at night. Also, I've got a terrible cold, so it's taking the edge off of that a bit. ;)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Teas are awesome for hydration, especially if you don't like plain water. Try to go unsweetened where you can.
    Green tea reportedly has some "fat burning" properties, though how much and how long I have no clue.
    As the previous poster said, they are loaded with antioxidants. White and green will have more than black, due to processing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Lower caffeine than coffee, has flavonoids (antioxidants). Green tea is said to have an appetite suppressant effect (?)

Another benefit is .... calorie free/ or low calorie enjoyment!

I love sipping Apple Pie Spice (Celestial Seasonings) herbal tea while watching TV. It doesn't need any sweetener & feels like a treat

Bigelow Chai tea with milk & honey. This is good substitute for hot chocolate

Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice tea is yummy (with milk & honey)
  • IrishFanVSG
    IrishFanVSG Posts: 16 Member
    I know there are benefits but I drink it to help me stop drinking so much coffee and to get my water in. I drink about 6 cups a day of Twinnings Decaf English Breakfast tea. It's mild. As long as I had something hot and in a mug, I can forgo coffee.
  • LuaLiz
    LuaLiz Posts: 56 Member
    Hydration is a big plus to them!

I drink tea literally all day long at work.. as in, I'll have 4 cups of green (usually blueberry or pomegranate green) in the morning and then a Celestial Seasonings tea in the afternoon. Raspberry zinger is my fav!! it's like drinking raspberry juice!

I don't sweeten them either.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Lower caffeine than coffee, has flavonoids (antioxidants). Green tea is said to have an appetite suppressant effect (?)

I love sipping Apple Pie Spice (Celestial Seasonings) herbal tea while watching TV. It doesn't need any sweetener & feels like a treat

Bigelow Vanilla Chai is my absolute favorite! It's yummy :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Antioxidants
  • All sorts of teas have fantastic benefits. Not to mention they can help to energize during the day and calm you before bed. The one tea I would recommend looking into is called "Kombucha". It is fermented tea that you can buy in some grocery stores that carry organic foods like Fred Meyer. Google the benefits and it's amazing. I always have migraines and headaches every morning. But ever since I started drinking I have not had one headache. And my mom has lost 60lbs just by drinking 16oz of Kombucha a day!! She didn't change anything other then drinking kombucha. If you go to the store, the only brand I know of is GT's raw organic Kombucha, and then Synergy which is made with GT's Kombucha that has other flavors added for a better taste. The regular flavor can be pretty strong in taste and can take a while to get used to. But the benefits are well worth it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    All sorts of teas have fantastic benefits. Not to mention they can help to energize during the day and calm you before bed. The one tea I would recommend looking into is called "Kombucha". It is fermented tea that you can buy in some grocery stores that carry organic foods like .......

From Wikipedia: "Kombucha is an effervescent tea-based beverage that is often consumed for its anecdotal health benefits or medicinal purposes."

Could you point me to any studies that have actually documented the "benefits"? The anti-oxidant effects of teas have been fairly well documented and scientifically demonstrated. I get a little curious when I see websites (that happen to sell the product) extolling its ability to "detoxify and energize your body" - what exactly does detoxify mean?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Most teas are loaded with anti-oxidants. I find that drinking tea in the afternoon makes me less hungry at night. Also, I've got a terrible cold, so it's taking the edge off of that a bit. ;)

I agree a cup of non herbal tea stops me from munching so I usually have a cup two hours after dinner and Im good to go...to bed full lol
  • TagaMigi
    TagaMigi Posts: 13

yum, does it taste like apple cider. Ive only begun to enjoy herbal summer berry

*Thanks everyone for your responce!
  • Well of course, like most things there are no studies!! Trust me, when I smelt my mom's homemade batch, i cried "HELL NO". It's very strong vinegar smell and the taste isn't that great either. I can't tell you any research that has been done, but I can tell you my experience and the 10 people that I've gotten to try it that have had amazing results. Best thing is to try it!! It's like $2.99 a bottle and they have many flavors for those who do not like the original flavor. Like I said, they don't have studies to show the benefits but with me, I feel more energized in the mornings, I don't wake up in the morning with a headache, and my digestive stuff feels waaaaayyyy better then before. I drink about 16oz a day.

Read This:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/kombucha-health-benefits/
  • Black tea soothes away stress
    16 July 2010

Daily cups of tea can help you recover more quickly from the stresses of everyday life, according to a new study by UCL (University College London) researchers. New scientific evidence shows that black tea has an effect on stress hormone levels in the body.

The study, published in the journal Psychopharmacology, found that people who drank tea were able to de-stress more quickly than those who drank a fake tea substitute. Furthermore, the study participants – who drank a black tea concoction four times a day for six weeks – were found to have lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol in their blood after a stressful event, compared with a control group who drank the fake or placebo tea for the same period of time.

In the study, 75 young male regular tea drinkers were split into two groups and monitored for six weeks. They all gave up their normal tea, coffee and caffeinated beverages, then one group was given a fruit-flavoured caffeinated tea mixture made up of the constituents of an average cup of black tea. The other group – the control group – was given a caffeinated placebo identical in taste, but devoid of the active tea ingredients. All drinks were tea-coloured, but were designed to mask some of the normal sensory cues associated with tea drinking (such as smell, taste and familiarity of the brew), to eliminate confounding factors such as the ‘comforting’ effect of drinking a cup of tea.

Both groups were subjected to challenging tasks, while their cortisol, blood pressure, blood platelet and self-rated levels of stress were measured. In one task, volunteers were exposed to one of three stressful situations (threat of unemployment, a shop lifting accusation or an incident in a nursing home), where they had to prepare a verbal response and argue their case in front of a camera.

The tasks triggered substantial increases in blood pressure, heart rate and subjective stress ratings in both of the groups. In other words, similar stress levels were induced in both groups. However, 50 minutes after the task, cortisol levels had dropped by an average of 47 per cent in the tea drinking group compared with 27 per cent in the fake tea group.

UCL researchers also found that blood platelet activation – linked to blood clotting and the risk of heart attacks – was lower in the tea drinkers, and that this group reported a greater degree of relaxation in the recovery period after the task.

Professor Andrew Steptoe, UCL Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, says: “Drinking tea has traditionally been associated with stress relief, and many people believe that drinking tea helps them relax after facing the stresses of everyday life. However, scientific evidence for the relaxing properties of tea is quite limited. This is one of the first studies to assess tea in a double-blind placebo controlled design – that is, neither we nor the participants knew whether they were drinking real or fake tea. This means that any differences were due to the biological ingredients of tea, and not to the relaxing situations in which people might drink tea, whether they were familiar with the taste and liked it, and so on.

“We do not know what ingredients of tea were responsible for these effects on stress recovery and relaxation. Tea is chemically very complex, with many different ingredients. Ingredients such as catechins, polyphenols, flavonoids and amino acids have been found to have effects on neurotransmitters in the brain, but we cannot tell from this research which ones produced the differences.

“Nevertheless, our study suggests that drinking black tea may speed up our recovery from the daily stresses in life. Although it does not appear to reduce the actual levels of stress we experience, tea does seem to have a greater effect in bringing stress hormone levels back to normal. This has important health implications, because slow recovery following acute stress has been associated with a greater risk of chronic illnesses such as coronary heart disease.”
  • As far as kombucha goes, I tried all the flavored ones of the raw organic because I was "scared" the original would be gross. Actually, it's my favorite! I would love to start brewing my own plain - just black tea, sugar, and the SCOBY. A scoby is a "Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeasts" which converts all the sugars to not be sweet anymore and doesn't hike up your blood sugar or give you loads of useless calories. Kombucha is very tasty and healthy, and I notice that I feel great when I have a serving or so a day. Each bottle of GT's has 2 sevings for around $3.

I love tea. I drink coffee too because I know there are benefits, but I would drink tea all day. In fact, a goal of mine is to brew a big batch in the morning (every morning) and drink it hot and stick the rest in a pitcher in the fridge to drink after work/classes. I want to form some good habits.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    I drink black decaf tea with honey every morning and occasionally during the day and also drink plain green tea. I can not go a day without my tea. I started drinking hot tea when I was 7 and I really don't think I have gone one day without.