Pasta.......

Options
I am a pasta junky, but the calories are just sooo high.

Any suggestions on lower calorie pasta choices?

Replies

• keystoneman
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash - try it!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Spaghetti Squash instead of noodles. I baked the squash, pulled out the meat like spaghetti (with a fork). Then added a marinara. It was really good! It is not quite the same as noddles, but it is a good substitute once in a while. I also make Mini Lasagna's (using a muffin pan) and I used egg roll wraps instead of noodles. All of the saucy goodness in the lasagna made the wraps the same texture as noodles. It was very close in texture and consistancy. I gave a mini lasagna to a friend (without teling him that there was no Pasta in it) and he loved it. He couldn't believe it when I told him later that those weren't noodles.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try spaghetti squash because I can't seem to find it in the store but I do want to try it. When I eat pasta I choose catelli smart which is white pasta enriched with fiber. I usually have half a serving (150cals) and I load my sauce with lots of veggies so it becomes very filling for a reasonable amount of calories.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    whole wheat noodles? not sure if you've tried those.. I only like plain ol spaghetti noodles in the whole wheat version.. I've tried the spiral noodles and they tasted funny to me.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think 210 calories for a serving is 'high calorie'. I usually just plan it into my day... and I eat A LOT of pasta!

Maybe try smaller portions of pasta and add more veggies/lean meats to whatever dish you're making with the pasta?
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I would eat pasta every day if I could. I just don't have it as often right now, and when I make it I make sure to measure how much I am using and only cook that amount. Otherwise....not good. I have a couple of soup recipes that use a bit of pasta and they are lower in calories than, say, making a giant pot of spaghetti and meatballs. *sigh*
  • jpantlik
    jpantlik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've mixed the whole wheat noodles with the plain old noodles as I don't care for the whole wheat by themself. It seems to break up the heavy texture of the whole wheat and I feel less guilty:)
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like the thin wheat spaghetti. Some of the thicker wheat pastas seem chewier, but might be ok in a baked pasta. When I eat it I just plan around fitting it in :)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I made that spaghetti squash once and it wasn't good, but it was my first time making it. The "noodles" were almost crunchy, did I not bake it long enough? I really tried to like it, honest! lol
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ronzoni Smart Taste Noodles are lower than most in calories (not by a lot, but every bit counts!). Limit yourself to one portion (use a scale to measure) and pair it with a lot of steamed vegetables. Watch your sauce portions, too. Red sauce is healthier and lower in calories than white sauce.

There is no reason to give it up.... just practice portion control!
  • monicaroozo
    Options
    Personally, I don't think 210 calories for a serving is 'high calorie'. I usually just plan it into my day... and I eat A LOT of pasta!

Maybe try smaller portions of pasta and add more veggies/lean meats to whatever dish you're making with the pasta?

I agree - I love pasta and breads so I have made the decision to to work them into my count.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I made that spaghetti squash once and it wasn't good, but it was my first time making it. The "noodles" were almost crunchy, did I not bake it long enough? I really tried to like it, honest! lol

It does sound like you need to bake it just a little longer.
  • Kellster30
    Kellster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't cut pasta out of my diet...I love it too much! Instead, I just do some extra exercise to allow me extra calories for the day!
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I personally like the chewiness of whole wheat pasta...I like it all! And if it's an exercise day I can eat a bit more of it. Score!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give it up, in fact I eat pasta quite often. Check out www.skinnytaste.com for recipes!
  • Toninbremen
    Options
    Looooove spaghetti squash! Make it about once a week or so..... It's so fun to do too! I looked on youtube how to make it the first time. Walmart even sells it!
    1 cup of spaghetti squash has about 45 cals and only 4 carbs where reg pasta in just 2 oz has 200 ish cals and over 40 carbs.
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I tried the spaghetti squash to...not my cup of tea & I love veggies. I do like the thin whole wheat spaghetti noodles when I want to eat "real" pasta.
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat dreamfields pasta or barrilo whole wheat pasta.. luv them both and I am a tru pasta junky
  • commonly_unique
    Options
    Oh man, now I want mac & cheese.

I'm a pasta junkie as well, and absolutely refuse to give it up. I don't think I should have to give up the stuff I love, it will obly make me miserable.

I just go for smaller portions of whole wheat pasta, or Tofu Shirataki noodles and load up on veggies! Broccoli, beans, peas, carrots...and keep the sauce to a minimum. A tablespoon of flavored olive oil (mushroom and sage is my favorite) and my meal is filling, good for me, and doesn't make me feel guilty in the calorie department.