Has anyone used the Fitbit?

Options
I would love to hear some feedback on the Fitbit. We have the body bug, but would love to have something that doens't require a monthly committment. I'm interested in the sleep piece of it too? Deal or no deal?:smile:

Replies

• ao1088
    ao1088 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I want feedback too! I'm very tempted to get one I think it will be very motivating and a great tool to help me stay on track. I too like that there was no monthly commitment. So far I have seen basically unanimous positive reviews for it online.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I bought one and I love it! It helps me to try to get 10,000 steps or more in each day! I have the Fitbit Ultra!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DW and I have been using our Fitbits for a couple of weeks now--She has had hers about a week longer than I have had mine. In any case, we love them. It has made me A LOT more conscious of how active I am and how/where I can improve. If you already have a body bug, you are probably well aware of that part of the equation. For sleep tracking, you have a wrist strap that you place on your non-dominant hand and put it into "sleep-mode". It then uses the accelerometer to see how much you move while sleeping.

From what I understand of the Body Bug, it has a few sensors that the Fitbit does not. However, as you stated, the monthly cost of the Body Bug is a bit of a pain. So it really comes down to a question of whether those other sensors are worth the monthly cost.

A few more specifics on my situation: I was very skeptical when DW said she wanted to get a Fitbit. I thought that the cost was pretty high for what it seemed like it was. When she got it in the mail, I didn't really pay too much attention to the service, but what I did pay attention to is how much it immediately motivated her to get up and walk more.

Oddly enough, I had just decided to get one when one arrived for me in the mail--apparently my Mother-in-Law had bought me one after having used it for about a week as well. It has been a huge help for me because I am able to see the badges as achievements--similar to many of the video games I play on the Xbox and on Steam. I can't even tell you how much better I have felt about my activity level and I know that it has already started to help me with my weight loss. I highly recommend them for anyone that has issues with getting up and doing stuff--especially gamers like me.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit! It helps me stay motivated, and more importantly, helps me understand my sleep patterns. I felt really tired upon getting up today, log on to fitbit (after syncing) and found out that I woke up 6 times over the course of the night. I sure feel every one of them today too...
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    DW and I have been using our Fitbits for a couple of weeks now--She has had hers about a week longer than I have had mine. In any case, we love them. It has made me A LOT more conscious of how active I am and how/where I can improve. If you already have a body bug, you are probably well aware of that part of the equation. For sleep tracking, you have a wrist strap that you place on your non-dominant hand and put it into "sleep-mode". It then uses the accelerometer to see how much you move while sleeping.

From what I understand of the Body Bug, it has a few sensors that the Fitbit does not. However, as you stated, the monthly cost of the Body Bug is a bit of a pain. So it really comes down to a question of whether those other sensors are worth the monthly cost.

A few more specifics on my situation: I was very skeptical when DW said she wanted to get a Fitbit. I thought that the cost was pretty high for what it seemed like it was. When she got it in the mail, I didn't really pay too much attention to the service, but what I did pay attention to is how much it immediately motivated her to get up and walk more.

Oddly enough, I had just decided to get one when one arrived for me in the mail--apparently my Mother-in-Law had bought me one after having used it for about a week as well. It has been a huge help for me because I am able to see the badges as achievements--similar to many of the video games I play on the Xbox and on Steam. I can't even tell you how much better I have felt about my activity level and I know that it has already started to help me with my weight loss. I highly recommend them for anyone that has issues with getting up and doing stuff--especially gamers like me.

DITTO ALL THAT. Love my fitbit so much I want to marry it.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Yepp lovin mine too....Activity have at least doubled since i got it last month...Didn`t realise what a slob i`d become
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if the calorie counter is accurate?
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I got my Fitbit for my Birthday yesterday and have used it for the first time today and LOVE IT!!! I have walked to the post box instead of driving, paced up and down whilst on the phone and taken the dog for a walk. It's certainly a kick start to upping exercise.

Xxxx
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    LOVE my fitbit!
  • twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is an awesome motivator. My wife and I have one and looking at the pie chart throughout the day is a real kick in the *kitten* to get me out of my chair for a walk. I think its step counter goes wacky sometimes since it seems to double my mileage and calories once a week but I can live with that glitch to keep me motivated to get the next badge.

I would definitely recommend it to everyone I know.
  • bwallner1971
    bwallner1971 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My Cons
    1 - glue let go and it fell apart (working with customer service to get a new one)
    2 - it gave me what I call "*kitten* Time Steps". I have an hour and half commute to work parts of which are on a back road. The unit would count those as moderate exercise and steps.

My Pros
    1 - kept me mindful to walk more
    2 - kept me on my feet

Pros win!!!
  • angraham2
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. I have been using it for about a month. It has shown me that my activity level which was set at sedentary, was set way too low. I do more moving than I thought I did, I set my activity level to lightly active, and my fitbit adjustment after a typical office day with no exercise is about 30 calories. I don't log my exercise here now unless I swim. I think for me it is pretty accurate in your calorie burn, it uses just about the same equations that MFP does, and they seem to be working for me. I am down 11.8 lbs in about 13 weeks. Slow and steady. It does motivate me to get off my seat and walk, I take the long way to the restroom, drinking fountain etc. It is descreet, and comfortable to wear. I don't use the sleep part, but have tried it. I am a really good sleeper. I didn't want the monthly cost of the body bug either, so this seems to be the next best thing. But remember it is not a heart rate monitor, and while being fairly accurate, it is not as accurate as one. If you have any other questions feel free to message me!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Check out this from one of my very good MFP pal's!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/groomchick
  • Jan0707
    Jan0707 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the fitbit. Has motivated me to move more.
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just got my on Friday, and I love it!!! I love that it syncs to MFP, I love the sleep thing (the other night I slept horribly FB had me up 24 times in the middle of the night, that's what happens when you have 3 dogs a cat and a hubby in bed with you right?!?!).
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i freaking love mine! it's already made such a difference ... and helped me realize how i need to MOVE MORE on the weekends! i don't think you'd regret it.
  • jonski1968
    Options
    But be careful...They are very addictive.. ;o)
  • jonski1968
    Options
    Anybody want to add me on the fitbit site.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22FJ8V

More people to compare stats to the better..
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitbit.com/user/22Q3Y6 if you want to add me.

Had Fitbit for a couple of months & love it!!!!

@Jonski - just added you x
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow looking at all of these posts I can't wait for mine to arrive, are they accurate in the Gym to?