About ground beef...

Options
Does anyone know if the nutritional value in the database for ground beef is "as is" or is it for after you drain all the fat out. Im assuming that it is drained( who would leave it in anyway lol) Although Im not sure because if you drain all the fat out would it all be the same? For example 70/30 with all the fat gone would be the same as 85/15 with all the fat gone right? Youd just be dumping more fat from the 70/30 Im confused. Any answers would be helpful. Thanks.

Krystal

Replies

• mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the nutritional value in the database for ground beef is "as is" or is it for after you drain all the fat out. Im assuming that it is drained( who would leave it in anyway lol) Although Im not sure because if you drain all the fat out would it all be the same? For example 70/30 with all the fat gone would be the same as 85/15 with all the fat gone right? Youd just be dumping more fat from the 70/30 Im confused. Any answers would be helpful. Thanks.

Krystal
  • Erica92627
    Options
    forman grills take out a lot of the fat. :tongue:

My guess it is before you drain the oils because they don't know how much or if people drain the or not . yewwy.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I always go by the nutritional value stated on the package of ground beef because even though you are draining off the fat, you cannot totally remove all the fat from the meat. Basically the differences between 80/20, 70/30, 90/10 etc meats is the original amount of fat that is in the meat prior to cooking. Also, it is important to realize that some fat is actually necessary for the meat to have any taste whatsoever. If you were to remove all of the fat from the meat all you would have left was a charred, burnt, and dried out little pieces of ground beef. I also believe that it is so much better for me to overestimate on calories, fat, etc rather than underestimating. I usually buy 80/20 and 90/10 ground beef and mix them together and have found that I get more taste with less fat grams that way. Hope this helped.:smile:
  • Erica92627
    Options
    lean ground beef is tasty too, isn't it? I think so.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use 96/4 lean ground beef and where I get it it has nutritional info on the package. I made burgers the other day with it and grate onion, add tons of seasonings and worstershire (sp?) sauce and they tasted great! I think you do need to add more seasonings than with beef with more fat but it's all about eating better. :drinker:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I don't even buy ground beef anymore. I purchase lean ground turkey!:tongue: I use in in any recipe that calls for GB
  • catcooke
    Options
    I took a quiz the other day and when I answered that ground turkey was lower in fat then 95% ground beef, I was WRONG. I was so surprised to find that out.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I took a quiz the other day and when I answered that ground turkey was lower in fat then 95% ground beef, I was WRONG. I was so surprised to find that out.

That's because most ground turkey is ground with the skin and fat in it as well. You can buy it that is just the white meat, but you have to look for it. Ground beef if it is of good quality gets a really bad rap. In moderation, grass fed and antibiotic free lean (85/15) ground beef is a very healthy choice, especially if you broil it and dab the fat off of it.
    Cowboy
  • maryschmidt
    Options
    I always rise my ground beef after I drain it. It gets even more of the fat off and still tastes ok.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I too use 94/6 but have recently switched to ground turkey instead and the kids can't tell the difference so now I just do turkey. Don't get me wrong, I love a good steak, but ground beef isn't necessarily what you want, you may look for ground sirloin because then you are getting a particular cut of meat ground, but "ground beef" contains a lot of the cow and we will leave it at that.

Go turkey :laugh:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ground venison is even better. Free range, hormone and anti-biotic free, super-lean and it averages about $1.00/lb for me. I use it in any recipe that calls for ground beef and I have yet to feed it to anyone who can detect a difference, including some pretty persnickety relatives!

It is more labor intensive than just going to the store though.
  • catcooke
    Options
    I didn't know that.... I'll have to make sure and look for the turkey WITHOUT the skin.

Thanks for that info!
  • markfloyd
    Options
    Whatever ground "meat" you choose, make sure you drain it very well. Especially the Ground mystery beef. It does include parts of the animal you wouldn't normally eat. Once you drain it you can always mix something like the Lipton Onion or Mushroom Soup mixes in the raw meat before you cook it. I think they're absolutely delicious that way. Turkey is a good alternative if you purchase the whiter meat. And do yourself a favor, if you can get your hands on it, try the ground Venison. It is the leanest and if prepared properly, you may never eat Ground Beef again. I eat Venison whenever I can get it and use it in place of most Beef dishes.