dumbells or barbell for deadlifts and squats

Options
So, I've been bored at work today and researching whether I should buy a barbell, yes I'm a member of a gym but really, I'm scared of the weights room and would like to get some proper practice in before going in there amongst the pretty gay boys who frequent my local fitness centre...

Much of what i found on the internet suggested that dumbell squats and deadlifts are just as effective as barbell squats - the only real problems being that weight is limited on dumbells (up to 100lbs per dumbell max - I don't think I'll ever get that high) and that the weights can be unwieldy on a dumbell, sometimes causing form issues, but again, only at higher weight levels.

So .... what do you think? Are dumbell squats and deadlifts OK for a beginner or just a waste of time?

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Barbell preferrably, also a properly weighted one at that. Dumbells will do if you don't have access to one, but they are limiting. No smith machine!

I've only been lifting heavy for 2 and 1/2 weeks and I'm squatting 65 lb and deadlifting 85 lb, so really reaching 100 is not that difficult or far off.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells will help you get the form down, but there is nothing better than deadlifting a barbell. :smile:
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    BOTH! vary it! barbell will seem easier and dumbbell will also work core because you have to focus on holding the weights steady. I agree, no smith machine. I find it hard to get the proper stance on that thing, and it always winds up hurting my neck and back. I'll leave that one for the men at they gym.. they are usually occupying it anyways.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    barbell is what you should use

If it's just for practice and to get used to lifting, try a body pump class for a few weeks
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Barbell for both, especially for home use, you will get a better range of weight and if your learning technique its easier to learn on a barbell, after you get the form mixing it up once in a while with dumbells its a good idea
  • gadzukks
    gadzukks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mandy Freeman, vary it! But if your going to make a purchase I would start with a barbell.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Barbell, absolutely.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I use either, depending on my mood. I prefer barbells though. It feels more stable.

Dumbells are fun for things like walking lunges and core balance work too.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with using dum bells for squats is that is VERY heavy weight to be putting on your shoulders. The barbell rests behind neck on your muscle.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos before I got my nerve up to go in weight room. Best video I watched was "do u think u can squat"
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Olympic barbell.... dont bother getting any other smaller bar.

its extremely rare for me to see someone doing squats, overhead presses, benchpresses, etc.. with proper form using dumbells.
    sure it CAN be done, but the best way to practice to do it is with....a barbell first. lol.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I preferr barbell, mainly because I feel like my form is better. With Dumbell I kinda feel like I am all over the place and I have horrible balance. Plus when doing squats and deadlifts, my arms arnet the part I am wanting to work, so if I use dumbell I feel like I am using them. Plus I can squat more with a barbell. I also hit my legs with the dumbells and leave bruises. Irk.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I think the problem with using dum bells for squats is that is VERY heavy weight to be putting on your shoulders. The barbell rests behind neck on your muscle.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos before I got my nerve up to go in weight room. Best video I watched was "do u think u can squat"

I dont think she meant putting dumbells on her shoulders. I think she meant holding them to her side while doing them or holding them between her legs. Which isn't that big of a deal when dealing with light weight but for heavier weight the barbell would prob be most effective and honestly easier.I have not honestly ever seen anyone doing squats or deadlift with dumbells on their shoulders. That is just dangerous.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most other posters. Your keyword is "beginner." Dumbbells are perfectly fine for someone just starting out because you probably won't be able to lift heavy right off the bat. And you shouldn't. Beginners run the risk of musculoskeletal injury so maximal loading should be avoided. Start out light, perfect your form, build the tissues surrounding the major muscles, and gradually increase the weight.

Forget the other guys in the gym. Everyone started at the beginning. Don't waste your money buying several sets of dumbbells when you already belong to a gym. Besides, it's unlikely the other members give a *kitten* about what you're doing and they certainly won't say anything negative to you. Put your fear aside and get in that weight room! You can do it!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most other posters. Your keyword is "beginner." Dumbbells are perfectly fine for someone just starting out because you probably won't be able to lift heavy right off the bat.

I STRONGLY disagree with this.
    Dumbbells are HORRIBLE for someone just starting out because it is almost impossible to learn proper form.
    With a barbell, half the issues are self correcting.. lifting unevenly with each arm is noticed.. You have two arms telling you if you're going to one side or the other(twice the feedback).
    Barbells teach you how to do it right. They promote better form, and will give consistent results.

The only advantage dumbbells have is that they are harder. You don't have the two weights connected, so you are using more muscles to prevent swaying.. However until you have mastered the form with the barbell, you will not get any advantage from using dumbbells.. it just makes the exercise harder to perform, without even making the weight higher.
    This is why most people use less weight with dumbbells then barbells.. and with less weight you will see less results.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    ^ you are correct MrDude