Why are we crazy about dogs? SAD

Options

Replies

• irisbear
    Options
    This is so sad and I am so sorry for your loss. I have 3 "babies" and you nailed it with this post. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Thank you for reminding us all how wonderful each one of our pets are. Your wife (and you) were so lucky to have her for as long as you did. I have lost all my animals from old age and it never gets easier! We have 2 rescues and they see me crying from your post and are already by my side. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful story and our hearts go out to you and your wife. My dogs send her extra special love and woof woofs!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your family's loss!

One day my son was messing around and asked me who was my favorite child. I told him the dogs were my favorite...why? Because they are always happy to see me, I can feed them the same thing every day and they never tire of it, and they never complain. :)

Dogs can be wonderful companions, I have three best friends and my life wouldn't be complete without them.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's the fact that they always want to be right next to us. Perhaps that they are always happy, always ready to curl up for a movie, always ready to put themselves between us and whatever that noise was in the middle of the night, always willing to absorb our tears when we cry, always ready to entertain, always ready to lend us their heads when we are lonely and need something to pet, always ready to play with and protect our children.
    I suppose that it could also be that they never lecture, never judge, never look down on us, never have a foul word to say and they always return. Even if it is just for the food.

This is sooo true...what a sad story. When I have a bad day my little dogs, come running up to me and are so excited to see me and it makes things so much better. They don't say anything but just seeing them happy w/tails waggin, is enough to make me smile...

Thanks for this story and sorry for your loss.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your wife's loss...and for yours. This happened to me last month. My dog was my first dog ever. I loved her like one of my children. She got very sick, wouldn't eat and couldn't control her bodily functions anymore. My husband told me we needed to put her down but I couldn't do it. I was searching for some way to help her as she was only 8. All I could do was cry. Finally the day came where I told me husband to make the appoinment. The appointmen was for 2:50 in the afternoon. She must have known it would have killed me to put her down. She died at 11:30 that morning with my husband. I am so grateful that she went on her own. I miss her so much. I'm sending prayers your way.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So sorry for the loss. I'm crying as I read this (at work) ..snif snif..
    I know the feeling, my beloved dog died in my arms too, he was my little best friend, I would spend most of my days with him, I had a store of my own and he "worked" in there with me everyday..I would leave him with my mom just to go to college, the rest of the time he was with me.
    If you asked anyone the name of my store, they couldn't tell you, because it was "Roni's store" (Roni was the name of my dog)
    I couldn't stop crying for 3 days when he passed and it still hurts when I caught myself thinking about him, it's like I lost a family member, more like my kid.
    After his death I could not think about going thru that suffering again, so I did not wanted another dog so I wouldn't get attached like this again.

Well it has been 5 years since his death and I think I learned that the joyful moments are to always be put in first of the sad,painful moments.. So in April last year I decided I was ready and I rescued a dog that was schedule to die in a shelter she was 6 month old,mixed race, had a kennel cough and was in very bad condition.
    She is now fully recovered and my biggest joy and I am so grateful that I have her in my life.
    She definitely made me a better person, and yes I am crazy about dogs.

:)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a wonderful post. I've avoided having pets for years because those moments at the end are so tough. However, I have come to the realization that the years of joy that they bring far outweigh the moment when it's time to say goodbye.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Wonderful and touching story. Dogs embody everything good. Loyal, unconditional love, fun, adoration.....my dog is only a year old but I could never envision getting another one after her, I just love her too much. It's going to be soooo painful. But I focus on the joy and light she brings into my life and everyone else who meets her! She's staring at me right now with her big eyes willing me to give her some jerky....I think it's working!
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your family's loss. As I was crying my beagle came put his paw on my leg and rolled into me to give me a "hug".

I have been in your wife's shoes. It doesn't matter how short or long you have them, our animals (or as my family & friends call them "fur babies") are one of us. They do love us unconditionally, are always forgiving, and can make us smile or at least cry less on our hardest of days.

Bless your family <3
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This made me cry and my Shepherd jumped up and licked my tears. This is why we love dogs.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words! I know I won't be able to describe this all to her appropriately, so I'll have to show her. They say tears are therapeutic don't they?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking that 16 years ago today my first dog died. she was 7, I was 13. I never wanted another shepherd after her (because of her bad hips). But guess who I am going home to...
    Dogs teach you to live and enjoy every moment. And not to take things too seriously.

I'm sorry for your loss, but when you're ready, another dog will find you :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, and for the cry. I'm so sorry for your and your wife's loss. I don't think I could ever be without a dog. I just adopted my last foster a few weeks ago. She had apparently already adopted me, so when she was adopted to another family, she was trying to escape and kept watching the front door, waiting for me to come back. They returned her 3 days later. She fits in perfectly, and gets along great with my other dog, so I'm happy. I was grateful that I had her with me at work yesterday when I got a call that my uncle was killed in an accident. She made the day a little more bearable. Nothing against cats, but dogs are just the best. :heart:
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bawling my eyes out in work. I'm 21 and have never lived without a dog for more than three days. Each of my dogs, I have always said "they'll never be as good as the last one" and each and every one has had such a special place in my heart, but all have had totally different personalities.

When I was born, my family had a black lab and he was so protective of me, he acted as my bodyguard, as the baby gate to stop me climbing up the stairs, and my step ladder when I couldn't reach the couch.

Our next dog was just a gorgeous dog with such a caring personality, he was so soft and kind.

Our latest dog is like nothing I have ever experienced before. She is absolutely insane and loves any kind of attention. She can be in the deepest sleep but if you wake her up wanting to play, she's instantly raring to go, and she will cry and cry for hours just to get a cuddle!

I'd say I understand your wifes loss, but nobody possibly can. Dogs have more personality than the majority of humans, and they just enrich our lives.

If I could change only one thing about dogs, and pets in general, it would be to give them longer life spans.
  • ReneeG74
    Options
    Im sorry her loss.

Im crazy about mine bc its unconditional love. I have therapy dog and the love he brings to people in the Nursing home takes my breath a way each time. All 3 of mine keep me laughing and active!
  • manda1028
    Options
    very, very sorry. its awesome at the same time that he was well lastnight . so sorry for the loss. i bet she is devistated :(
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You have me in tears. I am so sorry your and your wife's loss. I've been through this recently with 2 dogs we adopted from the humane society and it is heart breaking. We now have a coonhound mutt and she is crazy spoiled. I've always had dogs and they just bring so much joy to our lives...even when they chew on your couch or poop in your shoe!!!
  • unsivilized6
    unsivilized6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This was beautifully written. The bond we share we dogs isn't something that can be easily explained. ** My dogs blog at: www.theloveshackpack.com . Can I share this story there?? It is a beautiful reminder that dogs are man (and woman's) best friend.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This was beautifully written. The bond we share we dogs isn't something that can be easily explained. ** My dogs blog at: www.theloveshackpack.com . Can I share this story there?? It is a beautiful reminder that dogs are man (and woman's) best friend.

I don't mind, you may want to check the spelling and grammar. That's not my best skill.
  • pmjensen
    pmjensen Posts: 6
    Options
    Why do we love dogs? This quote says it so simply. Words that I live by every. single. day.

"I strive to be the person my dog thinks I am."