EXCELLENT ADVICE....GOOD ADVICE..HORRIBLE ADVICE

Options
at the bottom of every page in every thread is this warning-

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

there are alot of people here who have actually lost weight and kept it off...their advice is probably going to be something you could follow if you are in similar circumstances

there are alot of people here who are studying fitness and nutrition and there advice is usually going to be sound and safe advice

there are also a whole bunch of people here who repeat what they hear and put their own little spin on it and turn decent advice into garbage or they repeat incorrectly what they have read or heard and turn it into a waste of time

there are also people here who have no business advising anyone of anything, yet they do it with alarming recklessness

I have done the same myself...what works for me may not work for you

today, I read a guy's advice regarding weightlfting...he was totally wrong yet sounded like he was right..if the woman follows his advice...she will waste her time and delay her desired results

my point is this....PLEASE...take the advice you get here with a grain of salt and get more than one opinion

I am sure most people have good intentions...but the amount of wrong and even dangerous advice is pathetic

some may say when I see it I should point it out...I do when I can and not tick off people but we are adults...just don't believe everything you read

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    at the bottom of every page in every thread is this warning-

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

there are alot of people here who have actually lost weight and kept it off...their advice is probably going to be something you could follow if you are in similar circumstances

there are alot of people here who are studying fitness and nutrition and there advice is usually going to be sound and safe advice

there are also a whole bunch of people here who repeat what they hear and put their own little spin on it and turn decent advice into garbage or they repeat incorrectly what they have read or heard and turn it into a waste of time

there are also people here who have no business advising anyone of anything, yet they do it with alarming recklessness

I have done the same myself...what works for me may not work for you

today, I read a guy's advice regarding weightlfting...he was totally wrong yet sounded like he was right..if the woman follows his advice...she will waste her time and delay her desired results

my point is this....PLEASE...take the advice you get here with a grain of salt and get more than one opinion

I am sure most people have good intentions...but the amount of wrong and even dangerous advice is pathetic

some may say when I see it I should point it out...I do when I can and not tick off people but we are adults...just don't believe everything you read
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    AMEN, god to I ever agree with this.
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    I second that. And I don't think you should be responsible to call people out on their BS. I think you put it well, actually. :drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I am kinda like Dave, in this respect: when I see bad advice, it is SOOO hard not to correct it. I always think there is probably someone believing it, and I don't wanna be complacent in their destruction. (OK so that sounds dramatic, but you get my point):laugh:

So I speak up, probably too often, and probably too directly, but I feel like there is just WAY too much bad information out there, and if I can help somebody out by giving what I KNOW is sound advice, then I am doing a good deed, right?
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Dave, that was nicely put!
  • stillkristi
    Options
    I am kinda like Dave, in this respect: when I see bad advice, it is SOOO hard not to correct it. I always think there is probably someone believing it, and I don't wanna be complacent in their destruction. (OK so that sounds dramatic, but you get my point):laugh:

So I speak up, probably too often, and probably too directly, but I feel like there is just WAY too much bad information out there, and if I can help somebody out by giving what I KNOW is sound advice, then I am doing a good deed, right?

I've seen you speak up, and you are generally direct, caring but firm. So, the answer is right, doing a good deed!
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    we're ALL guilty of giving advice where it may not be correct or even welcome in some instances. Some more than others albeit. Getting many opinions on a topic is wise, especially around here where the advice is plentiful. Crossreferencing advice found on here with proven medical or professional advice is also very wise (by professional I mean someone who is already practicing in their field with at least a few years of actual real life experience to go by, not just a student or hopeful who "wants" to become that professional some day). I agree with Dave because I've seen and heard alot of questionable advice on here in my short stay of 4 months. I've given advice as well and although I try not to give advice on anything I haven't done myself, it's probably not a great idea seeing as Im not a health care or nutritional professional. The point is, as Dave has said, we all need to be cautious when taking or giving advice on here.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Thanks Kristi! I am never trying to be mean or rude, but sometimes I guess it sounds that way.:embarassed: :ohwell:

the worst part of posting is that tone of voice gets lost. thank goodness for smileys:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :smokin:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well, how do you really know if the advice is good or bad? I mean, I know when training/sports nutrition advice is good or bad because this is what I have a formal education in. But there are some things I don't know as well, like specific athletic injury treatment or PCOS. Sometimes I see people here who are wrong and arguing with the good advice. :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    well said Dave :flowerforyou: . it is ALWAYS a good idea to do your own research, no matter what ANY member has told you. And I do mean ANY member because all of us are wrong sometimes and nobody knows everything, especially since our bodies are all so different and respond to different things (depending on genderm age, build, weight, goal, and possible medical conditions). So look into the answers you're getting, talk them over with your doctor or trainer. Never rely solely on the advice of another member or on GOOGLE articles which I have seen MANY members post as though they are fact. Yes there are some reputtable sites out there but there are also a LOT of bullsh*t sites out there.
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    well said:drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I :heart: hearing Songbyrd's advice on stuff.
    Because she DOES know what she is talking about. It makes me so happy that she is here, because there is a lot of crappy advice floating around:ohwell:

Thanks SongByrd, for always setting us straight- did you see the thread about the "almost certified" trainer? Would LOVE to hear your take on that...
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    True Dave.

You can smoke crack to lose weight. True. But there are nasty side effects. :devil:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Because she DOES know what she is talking about. It makes me so happy that she is here, because there is a lot of crappy advice floating around:ohwell:

Thanks SongByrd, for always setting us straight- did you see the thread about the "almost certified" trainer? Would LOVE to hear your take on that...

No I didn't, I have been half-heartedly putting together a silly presentation on hantavirus. Soooo useless. I hate this class. :tongue: I shall now look for that thread as a distraction!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

No I didn't, I have been half-heartedly putting together a silly presentation on hantavirus. Soooo useless. I hate this class. :tongue: I shall now look for that thread as a distraction!

Lucky you......we had to do something similar with gelatin and mad cow disease. Tons of fun.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Lucky you......we had to do something similar with gelatin and mad cow disease. Tons of fun.

Yea, unfortunately my BF doesn't have powerpoint, and looking down at my laptop makes my neck feel like it's going to explode, so I haven't gotten much done yet. :laugh: I did find out that mucin in human saliva is slightly anti-viral against HPS. But if you get this stuff, things don't look good for you.

Oh, and I found the thread and that guy sounds like a tool.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    damn thread hi jackers everywhere

only I am allowed to hi jack threads

this you can beleive:laugh:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    damn thread hi jackers everywhere

only I am allowed to hi jack threads

this you can beleive:laugh:

HA! And I'm 100% accurate in EVERYTHING that I say.

PS - I had no cotton candy today.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, fortunately if you are on this website, you have access to the internet and the abundance of proper information out there. And there ARE a lot of people on here that know what they are talking about. :wink:

Now, on to hijacking!! :devil:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Yea, unfortunately my BF doesn't have powerpoint, and looking down at my laptop makes my neck feel like it's going to explode, so I haven't gotten much done yet. :laugh: I did find out that mucin in human saliva is slightly anti-viral against HPS. But if you get this stuff, things don't look good for you.

Oh, and I found the thread and that guy sounds like a tool.

That might be the bobble head effect again. I am still laughin about that! :laugh: