Blame it on the dairy??

Options
:grumble: I've really been at a standstill with my weight loss lately. I try to eat a fairly balanced diet with my carbs/protein/fats all within limits. I drink copious amonts of water, well over 100 fl oz daily (nothing else). I keep my calories at or around 1200 and I burn between 400 and 500 of those daily with exercise.

My question is does me think too much or could my dairy intake be to blame? I probably consume more dairy daily then anything else. Usually yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast (fat free of course), lowfat cheese stick as snack or Laughing Cow swiss, occasionally (apx once a week I treat myself to a Skinny Cow cone or some other frozen treat). Sugar Free pudding sometimes after my work out. Anyway, you get the idea.

I'm definitely getting my quota of calcium (which I also take supplements for), but could that be a reason my weight loss is stalled?

Thanks for reading,

Replies

• CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I've really been at a standstill with my weight loss lately. I try to eat a fairly balanced diet with my carbs/protein/fats all within limits. I drink copious amonts of water, well over 100 fl oz daily (nothing else). I keep my calories at or around 1200 and I burn between 400 and 500 of those daily with exercise.

My question is does me think too much or could my dairy intake be to blame? I probably consume more dairy daily then anything else. Usually yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast (fat free of course), lowfat cheese stick as snack or Laughing Cow swiss, occasionally (apx once a week I treat myself to a Skinny Cow cone or some other frozen treat). Sugar Free pudding sometimes after my work out. Anyway, you get the idea.

I'm definitely getting my quota of calcium (which I also take supplements for), but could that be a reason my weight loss is stalled?

Thanks for reading,
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I think the only way to know is too try cutting out dairy for a couple weeks and see what happens. Couldn't hurt.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    You might need to up your calories to account for your exercise calories. Some people eat them, some people don't but that's just my theory. I'm sure lots more people will give you more advice though. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Why not blame it on something else totally arbitrary, like wearing blue too often or eating a certain brand of bread? I would never support removing an entire food group unless there was some allergy that prevented you from eating anything that it contained. Why anyone points to a specific food group and blames everything it encompasses for a weight plateau is beyond me.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    After some recent oral surgery, I ate yogurt & smoothies 3 X a day.
    I had lots of cottage cheese & applesauce & even though I stayed within my calorie limit, I gained 3 pounds. I don't have anything else to add.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough, especially if you aren't eating back any of your exercise calories at all. There are many, many useful threads up in the sticky area as well as if you just do a search for a key word like "plateau". While it could possibly be the dairy, I would delve deeper into the calorie issue first. I wish you the best!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    You might need to up your calories to account for your exercise calories. Some people eat them, some people don't but that's just my theory. I'm sure lots more people will give you more advice though. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I'm agreeing with this. If you are eating around 1200cal and burning 400-500 that means you are really only taking in 700-800cal. I'd definately eat the exercise calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Why not blame it on something else totally arbitrary, like wearing blue too often or eating a certain brand of bread? I would never support removing an entire food group unless there was some allergy that prevented you from eating anything that it contained. Why anyone points to a specific food group and blames everything it encompasses for a weight plateau is beyond me.

do you eat cool whip?:laugh:
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options

I'm sorry, I was being tongue in cheek with my topic title. I wouldn't eliminate dairy from my diet period. I just noticed that I have been eating more dairy as of late and wondered if I should cut back. Thanks for your input. I should have been more specific.
  • 3babybeans
    Options

*sniff sniff* Smell that? Smells like a hijack coming on. :tongue:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

No but I sometimes use it if I need a lubricant or some wax. :laugh:
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options

Thank you for the advice. I have eaten my "exercise calories" back before and I always seem to gain weight when I ACTUALLY eat 1200. But there are days where I know my calories are too low.

Thanks again,
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    the butler did it
    sneaky bastaaad
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options

:huh: I have a feeling I'm missing something. But "yes" I do eat cool whip. Not every day but often on my SF Jello cup. Is that the culprit?? :noway:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Oh, no.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

:huh: I have a feeling I'm missing something. But "yes" I do eat cool whip. Not every day but often on my SF Jello cup. Is that the culprit?? :noway:

if you are going to eliminate something from your diet....eliminate fake food before you eliminate real food
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options

if you are going to eliminate something from your diet....eliminate fake food before you eliminate real food

Great point, makes sense. Thanks, :smokin:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Here we go! :tongue:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Thanks for reading,
    To answer your original question::
    Why do you think its at a stand still...Did you start in April? if so its definately not enough time to consider it any kind of plateau in my opinion...also make sure your being 100% honest with yourself regarding food and excercise and always boost your excercise intensity and switch it up every few weeks if your physically able...I know for myself I cut dairy when I felt the need and I havent plateaued thus far...I try to listen to my body and go with that...It cant hurt to cut some of it and see how it goes...I was eating way too much..there are other foods to get calcium/protein from..
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Dave, leave my cool whip alone :tongue: :wink:, I'm not sharing, :tongue: