BMI and BF%

I'm new here.

Noticed i had gained a few pounds. I am not huge. I am told i'd be considered 'skinny-fat'?

My height is 5ft 5. I weighed myself today and am 64kg, BMI is 23 which is in the normal range but my BF% is 40%!!

I have never needed to diet before and i'm unsure of what is the best option for me.

I have 4 kids. Don't drive so i walk everywhere.

I am planning on doing the 30 day shred (tried before and saw results quickly but gave up after around 10 days).

So what's the best way to 'fix' this BF%??

Replies

• lift heavy.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Strength train, eat well (including lots of good protein), and be patient.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    strength training turns fat into lean muscle (and helps the body burn more through the day- so def focus on that along with the cardio). additionally, try to eat cleaner, healthier foods (an obvious goal for all of us here, but in terms of BF%, your body will use the nutrient-rich foods, and more likely store the processed carb/fat-laden others)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    Like the others said strength training and focusing on eating a cleaner, more nutrient dense diet. Also, don't freak out if you gain weight. Muscle weighs more per volume than fat does, so it's quite possible for you to gain a couple pounds while losing body fat percentage. Personally, I think BMI is a totally pointless number. You can have a professional athlete weighing 250lbs with a BMI that is considered to be too high, but 8% body fat. Your body fat % is the most important # to pay attention to. Good luck!
  • pingu_4
    pingu_4 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the quick replies.

When you say strength train does anyone have and links to workouts etc?

I really am a beginner to all this and have no idea what i should be doing.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Thanks for the quick replies.

When you say strength train does anyone have and links to workouts etc?

I really am a beginner to all this and have no idea what i should be doing.
    One of my favorite MFPals turned me on to this site:
    nerdfitness.com

It's awesome.
  • Eliminate High Fructose Corn Syrup from your diet whenever possible.
    ---I *KNOW* this is a controversial subject, but for me, it was worth avoiding it since MOST products have a variety that does NOT include it- condiments, salad dressings, breads, ect. It's not like I HAVE TO eat it, and as of today I reached my goal of 28% BF-

And INCREASE your water intake so that you're drinking 1/2 your CW in ounces- which, for you, would be around 70 ounces.
    I, too, *poof-poofed* this @ the beginning of this journey....again- Drinking WATER can only benefit you. Just don't drink TOO MUCH, you don't want to flush EVERYTHING out of your system.