calorie intake/ hair loss?

Options
today i only ate 850 calories and i worked out and bruned 510 calories. I have 800 calories let, but i find myself not hungry. this happens to me alot. so should i eat the calories even tho im not hungry???? Iam also losing my hair. does ne1 else have this problem???

Replies

• naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    today i only ate 850 calories and i worked out and bruned 510 calories. I have 800 calories let, but i find myself not hungry. this happens to me alot. so should i eat the calories even tho im not hungry???? Iam also losing my hair. does ne1 else have this problem???
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    probably way to low on calories and nutrition..make sure the calories u do eat a full of vitamins and protein....dont dip below 1200 without your Doctor closely monitoring you...good luck
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat some more. Look for high nutrition/calorie foods if you "aren't hungry" like nuts, beans, etc... Is this the norm for you?
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    Yeah try to eat something healthy...if you are under 1200 your body with go on starvation mode and slow down your matabolism.
  • naner
    Options
    I think you need to eat some more. Look for high nutrition/calorie foods if you "aren't hungry" like nuts, beans, etc... Is this the norm for you?

not really the norm for me. i would eat 1200 cal's and most of my exercise cals back, but for the past 2 weeks i haven't been that hungry!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be a sign that you are lacking something nutritionally. I'd see a dr and make sure you are getting the nutrients your body needs.
    Wanting to lose weight is not worth making yourself sick over. The goal is to be healthy.
  • naner
    Options
    Hair loss can be a sign that you are lacking something nutritionally. I'd see a dr and make sure you are getting the nutrients your body needs.

I eat pretty good. and take multi vitamins and eat alot of fruit , veggies,nuts and beans!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I think that if your hair is falling out, no matter how good you are eating, how much you are exercising, etc...you should go to a dr. Hair loss can be a sign of other things like hypothyroid, high stress, excess vitamin A, etc.... My hair fell out a few times in my life. Once, it was nutrition & stress related. The second time, it was hormone swings after I had my babies. It's worth checking out!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Multi Vitamins and more nutritional foods. You should never be under 1200 cals "they" say. Even if you are not feeling hungry, you may want to just get some nutrients in.

my 2 cents
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Deminished hunger is a side affect of ketosis which happens when you are not eating enough.

See a doctor about both the hairloss and the appetite. Something is wrong. Don't wait.
  • Keeker
    Keeker Posts: 6
    Options
    id say you def need more calories...everyone is diff. so dont force food down you. wish i was like you and could not be hungry for a change :smile:
    But i drink a lot of slim fast drinks (just started).
    its almost 200 calories and it wont fill you up too much but youll still get a lot of vitamins from it and you'll be getting even more calories since you obviously need right now.
    Good luck
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    People crack me up with the starvation mode thing. True you can be eating too few calories. And yes you can starve and stiill consume food. Starvation happens some where around under 500 calories. Slowing down your metabolism can happen way before actual starvation. If you throw in blood sugar issues then the whole thing is up for an even different debate.

If you look at how much you intake and how much you burn it doesn't look healthy to me. Hair loss can be a symptom of thyroid stuff. Not feeling hungry can be thyroid, blood sugar and a bunch of other health related issues. I would see a doctor or even a nutrionist.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I eat pretty good. and take multi vitamins and eat alot of fruit , veggies,nuts and beans!

How are you doing on protein? Several years ago I decided to "go vegetarian" - however, I knew nothing about maintaining a good level of protein... so I was not eating legumes and other sources of protein - I lost a lot of my hair. So, you might want to look at your protein intake.

I agree with the others though, who said that you need to be eating more. Look for foods that are high calorie/low volume - peanut butter and smoothies are great options. Are you eating breakfast? What does your average day look like in terms of food?
  • naner
    Options

How are you doing on protein? Several years ago I decided to "go vegetarian" - however, I knew nothing about maintaining a good level of protein... so I was not eating legumes and other sources of protein - I lost a lot of my hair. So, you might want to look at your protein intake.

I agree with the others though, who said that you need to be eating more. Look for foods that are high calorie/low volume - peanut butter and smoothies are great options. Are you eating breakfast? What does your average day look like in terms of food?

i eat a banana and some nuts for breakfast
    lunch i a english muffin pizza
    dinner grilled veggies and some beans!!

snacks i will have nuts or special k bar!

I am not trying to starve myself. I want to be healthy!!!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

i eat a banana and some nuts for breakfast
    lunch i a english muffin pizza
    dinner grilled veggies and some beans!!

snacks i will have nuts or special k bar!

I am not trying to starve myself. I want to be healthy!!!

When you eat beans, you need to supplement that with a grain or your body wont be able to use the protein in the beans.

I realize you're not trying to starve yourself.

I've also been there when you're just not hungry and maybe you're finding that you just can't eat more, like that feeling that you get when you're absolutely stuffed even though you either haven't eaten at all or have eaten very little. Those serving sizes can easily get smaller very quickly as that feeling increases. It can overwhelm you if you don't turn it around quickly.

See a doctor; don't wait. Get your blood checked. Something is wrong.

Print out your meal plan and exercise calories ever since this started. Bring that and everything you're taking in terms of vitamins and supplements to your doctor. Again, don't wait.