gaining when I increase calories?

Options
So MFP states I should be eating 1200 calories to lose 1-2 lbs a week. When I do that the scales moves down. But the very minute I eat more then 1200 the weight comes right back on- FAST.
This week for example. I have been sick and not exercising and trying to keep my calories at 1200 but I have gone over by maybe 150+ calories each day. I'm pretty sedentary too and been going to bed at least an hour earlier each day. I have gained back ALL of the weight I spent 2 weeks losing.
So this brings me to think that maybe 1200 isn't right for me. I tried increasing it to 1350 for a few months and only mananged to maintain my current weight during that time. So I decreased calories back down to 1200. Maybe I'm only losing weight due to starving (I find it really hard to eat that little.Even with healthy choices and many veggies and fruits)
What will happen if I ever reach my goal weight and have to increase my calories to maintain?
Maybe I'm just sick and my head is full of snot but I'm feeling pretty discouraged at this point.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you only lose at 1200 calories, then stick to it. Stick to mostly vegetables and lean meats to get the most food for the fewest calories.
    You may be holding on to water weight while you're sick too. Are you drinking enough water?
    I haven't lost anything in the last few weeks either. But I just ramped up my exercise routine, so it happens. No big deal.

You have to find what works best for you and stick with it. For me the recipe is high protein (lean), lots of exercise, and ridiculous amounts of water every day. And once I get past my stall, I'm sure I'll be losing again in no time.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I have experience with this and am currenlty working with someone who has tested my RMR. I was eating about the same as you and lost a ton of weight at first. The problem is that my body was being starved. Now that I am eating the right amount for my body, I have seen a weight gain but this is completely normal. Food is fuel. Your body will recognize it as such as soon as you regularily feed it.
  • laura_fat2fit
    laura_fat2fit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have experience with this and am currenlty working with someone who has tested my RMR. I was eating about the same as you and lost a ton of weight at first. The problem is that my body was being starved. Now that I am eating the right amount for my body, I have seen a weight gain but this is completely normal. Food is fuel. Your body will recognize it as such as soon as you regularily feed it.

I have been eating way less than I thought since I started my weight loss journey last year. This week is the first week I have started eating properly, I have not weighed myself yet but Im probably expecting a gain. How much did you gain when you started eating the right amount? How long before your body gets back to normal? Im terrified of gaining weight, I dont want my efforts so far to go to waste.

thanks
  • deannarey13
    Options

I have been eating way less than I thought since I started my weight loss journey last year. This week is the first week I have started eating properly, I have not weighed myself yet but Im probably expecting a gain. How much did you gain when you started eating the right amount? How long before your body gets back to normal? Im terrified of gaining weight, I dont want my efforts so far to go to waste.

thanks

According to the guy that I am working with it all depends on how long you have been undereating. I hate to say this, but it could be several weeks. I have gained 4 pounds at this point, but my clothing all fits the same still. It is primarily glycogen in the muscles being restored, but yes there is some body fat in there too. You've got to be patient. The only other option is to go back to undereating and in the end that is much worse. A starving body will use muscle for energy, less muscle means a slower metabolism. Once you get your body to realize that it's going to consistantly be fed properly, the weight will come off in a quick hurry.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Increasing calories automatically leads to an increase in water weight. Without any other information to go on, I'd guess that's the cause.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

thanks

According to the guy that I am working with it all depends on how long you have been undereating. I hate to say this, but it could be several weeks. I have gained 4 pounds at this point, but my clothing all fits the same still. It is primarily glycogen in the muscles being restored, but yes there is some body fat in there too. You've got to be patient. The only other option is to go back to undereating and in the end that is much worse. A starving body will use muscle for energy, less muscle means a slower metabolism. Once you get your body to realize that it's going to consistantly be fed properly, the weight will come off in a quick hurry.

It will only use muscle for energy if you do not take in enough protein. Eat nutritious food, cut out all crap and there is no reason why the body would eat into its own muscle. It will burn off its own excess fat for energy.

If somebody, however, were to just feed off junk food and rubbish and not get enough protein, then yes, the body will eat into its own muscles.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Have you had an increase in sodium intake in the last couple of says, do you track this?
  • BrilliantSugar
    Options
    Hmmm, ok so I'm just curious about this, sorry f it's a stupid question but... If someone increased by 150 calories and noticed some gain, would that not just be initial weight as your body adjusts, that in time would even out? Because surely 1350 is not enough to cause weight gain in the long term??
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

thanks

It will only use muscle for energy if you do not take in enough protein. Eat nutritious food, cut out all crap and there is no reason why the body would eat into its own muscle. It will burn off its own excess fat for energy.

If somebody, however, were to just feed off junk food and rubbish and not get enough protein, then yes, the body will eat into its own muscles.
    Not necessarily. Body fat is a major part of the endocrine system and is responsible for several metabolic and hormonal functions, the body will only burn small amounts of body fat at a time. If you are eating an extreme calorie deficit, then your body will prioritize fat over muscle as far as importance, as you will survive longer with more fat and less muscle during times of famine than you will with more muscle and less fat.
    Hmmm, ok so I'm just curious about this, sorry f it's a stupid question but... If someone increased by 150 calories and noticed some gain, would that not just be initial weight as your body adjusts, that in time would even out? Because surely 1350 is not enough to cause weight gain in the long term??
    If a person's metabolism is low enough, 1350 could easily be enough to gain weight.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused still. What should I do? I plan on getting back on track soon as I'm feeling better but is 1200 calories enough? It's the only way I seem to lose weight. 1350 only maintains my weight. I did that from November to January. Exercising the whole time, same job, etc so my BMR should have been the same.
    I guess I will just plug along, try to eat more lean protein and veggies, less junk. Thanks
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused still. What should I do? I plan on getting back on track soon as I'm feeling better but is 1200 calories enough? It's the only way I seem to lose weight. 1350 only maintains my weight. I did that from November to January. Exercising the whole time, same job, etc so my BMR should have been the same.
    I guess I will just plug along, try to eat more lean protein and veggies, less junk. Thanks

Kimmy, all I can say is that I am on 1200 calories per day, I exercise three times per week, burning just under 600 calories at a time, I go into my exercise calories by 50 to 100, the rest I leave.

It works for me and I have not gone into any starvation mode, it's been 9 weeks now too and i have consistently lost weight.

Continue to do what works for you and if that means 1200 calories per day in order for you to lose weight, then 1200 calories it is :)
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is figure out your BMR and TDEE. You need to eat a deficit from your TDEE by about 500 a day to lose 1lb a week. But you want to be sure that you are eating above your BMR. If you are primarily sedentary and don't exercise regularly then figure your numbers as sedentary, but be sure to eat your exercise calories back every day. If you figure your exercise into your numbers then just ensure you NET at least 200 calories over your BMR. You may see an initial slight gain, but give it at least a month and things should start going in the right direction.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Kimmy, all I can say is that I am on 1200 calories per day, I exercise three times per week, burning just under 600 calories at a time, I go into my exercise calories by 50 to 100, the rest I leave.

It works for me and I have not gone into any starvation mode, it's been 9 weeks now too and i have consistently lost weight.

Continue to do what works for you and if that means 1200 calories per day in order for you to lose weight, then 1200 calories it is :)

I agree