For someone who hates to exercise does it ever get better?

Options
Hello all,
For someone who hates to exercise does it ever get better? I don't like it :( I have started the 30 day shred 5 times (Maybe more) and I only last 5 days. I am currently doing Couch to 5 K and I like it better, but I am hoping that one day I will actually enjoy exercising. Any thoughts?

Replies

• 189andFalling
    189andFalling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Usually 2-4 weeks after starting a routine - especially with running - round week 4 your 5k will be a breeze!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Find something you like doing, it doesn't have to be formal "exercise."
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When your body is conditioned then exercise feels invigorating. But you have to get in condition first and that takes a few months.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    YES, I'm not fond of some exercise and I used to hate it all. BUT, I absolutely LOVE what it does for me. SO, I use that as my motivation to keep doing it. Try and find something you'll like. For me it's water aerobics. I kick some serious booty in class. I also can't wait for the warm weather to hit so I can take down my bike and hit the road as well as to run without snow!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options

^this
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    The trick is to find something you like doing and do that. It doesn't have to be in a gym or whathaveyou, it could be netball or hockey or anything you like
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, find something you enjoy! This makes a huge difference. I can't stand Jillian Michael's I'd quit doing her videos too. There's so much out there. Check out videos from the library or check On Demand. I personally like Kickboxing myself. A lot of people like Zumba.
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I hate, hate, hate exercise. I am 32 years old and have just started regularly exercising for 8 weeks now. The problem is you have to find something fun to you. I found Zumba. It is the ONLY way I can do an hour cardio without getting bored and discouraged. But not the DVDs, see those get boring. So, if Zumba is not your thing, maybe a different type of class. It stays more interesting than the same DVD over and over.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

^this

Absolutely. If you want this for life, and I hope that you do, spend your energy exploring exercise you could look forward to.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

^^ :) There are lots of activities that burn calories, and don't have to be formal 'exercising'. I started dancing and lost 70 lbs pretty much doing that, while incorporating some weights and a healthier lifestyle. :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Exercise is 99% mental. You have to talk yourself into it. Today, for example, is 40 degrees and raining. Do I REALLY want to run 8 miles in it? Nooooo... but will I? Yep. You can do more than you think that you can do.

Set a goal and believe in yourself.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

This! If you hate it, you won't stick with it. Go hiking, skiing, kayaking, biking, walking, anything. Just get moving.
  • dvk422
    Options
    This is a 2 part process:

1. You have to find something that you actually enjoy and have fun with.
    2. You have to change the way you think about exercise.

For part one, explore different venues. Think outside the proverbial box. For me for example, I joined a kickboxing class and absolutely love it!

For part two, stop saying you hate exercise and start making positive affirmations:
    - I love the way I feel after a good workout.
    - My body is my friend and it needs action.
    - I am strong, I am healthy, I am young, I am beautiful.

Create your own affirmations and say it to yourself again and again. Post it on mirrors, walls, everywhere you look.

And there are opportunities for exercise everywhere! I do "counter push-up" by using the bathroom or kitchen counter to get my arms stronger.

Don't think about the whole picture but about each step. You can only take a step at a time anyway. Good luck!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Find something active you like doing or find something you like doing that you can do while you exercise.

I enjoy watching tv, listening to music, and fighting/grappling:

I bring movies or tv shows with me on my tablet and watch them while I'm doing cardio, listen to music while I'm lifting, practice martial arts and play rugby.

Tailor the exercise to you, not the other way around.
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    Coming from someone who DESPISED exercise with a passion and now really likes it, I'd say it's possible. :wink:
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I LOVE exercise, so perhaps I'm not the best person to answer this question. But I will say that exercise can have a snowball effect: it might feel really awful at first, but then it gets more and more fun, you start feeling better and better and more alive, and after a while you look forward to it as one of the highlights of your day.

But I will say that even though I'm one of the most motivated exercisers I know, there are days when the startup costs seem overwhelming. On those days I tell myself: you only have to go out for 1/2 hour, that's all. And then 90% of the time I start to feel amazing during that and 1/2 hour turns into an hour.

The moral of the story is: on the macro (overall exercise habits) and the micro (day-to-day exercise practices) scales, even the most fit and motivated people fight against inertia. That is why I think it's important to keep snowball rolling as much as possible throughout the day: take the stairs, walk the extra whatever, carry something slightly uncomfortably heavy, etc.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...I started a slow progression where I had to force myself to exercise - I started with Wii and things like the biggest Loser DVD's - from the biggest Loser DVD's I really liked the kickboxing moves...so I did some research and bought a kickboxing DVD...did that for awhile...found out my local martial arts club was doing kickboxing classes 2x's per week at 8pm - figured I would give it a shot - been doing that for almost a year (in true altruestic sense I love this place - they don't charge for the classes as they see it as giving back to the community to get people up and exercising - we have everything from a senior citizan that has had 2 heart surgeries to 12 year old kids)

I have done different things using groupon deals - last year I did a month of bootcamp from a Groupon deal ($30 for the month) - it was ok - I had a good time and had a good workout and it was varied it just sort of left me blah....I bought a groupon deal in Dec for Crossfit classes....love it - just finsihed up my Groupon classes and signed up for 3 more months of classes...

So it really is all about finding what you like...
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I always hate it for a while when I start back up again, Katy, but usually when I start seeing some changes in my appearance, I get happier and it gets easier. I usually start out with just walking when I haven't exercised in a while. Walk, walk, walk. That brings me down a few pounds and makes me feel better and then I start adding in more and more and after a while, I'm loving some real workouts! I love to play my own music to workout videos. I usually use some fast hip-hop stuff for cardio and my loud Incubus-type stuff for weight lifting. Whatever makes me feel powerful! It also helps to think of someone who is impressed and inspired by you. It's harder to let those people down than to do the exercise sometimes! :)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise for the sake of exercise. I took up boxing so that I am learning a skill and working to get better at it. Losing the weight and building the muscles are just a by-product of practice.

Good luck.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This is a 2 part process:

1. You have to find something that you actually enjoy and have fun with.
    2. You have to change the way you think about exercise.

For part one, explore different venues. Think outside the proverbial box. For me for example, I joined a kickboxing class and absolutely love it!

For part two, stop saying you hate exercise and start making positive affirmations:
    - I love the way I feel after a good workout.
    - My body is my friend and it needs action.
    - I am strong, I am healthy, I am young, I am beautiful.

Create your own affirmations and say it to yourself again and again. Post it on mirrors, walls, everywhere you look.

And there are opportunities for exercise everywhere! I do "counter push-up" by using the bathroom or kitchen counter to get my arms stronger.

Don't think about the whole picture but about each step. You can only take a step at a time anyway. Good luck!
    I agree with this. For me it was a necessary to change the way I think. I started telling myself I that I like exercise. For me it was a "fake-it-til-you-make-it" kind of thing. Now I do truly like to exercise. Creating your own affirmations is a great suggestion too. That has helped me too.