Weight loss and Gall bladder trouble.

Options
Well too late I learned that losing weight rapidly can cause gall stones. I've lost over sixty lbs, It didn't seem too rapid though. I did become sick with gall stones,and had my gall bladder removed recently.My doctor told me that this is so common with rapid weight loss that they automatically remove your gall bladder when they do gastric bypass surgury. Just thought I'd share the info. Best opt for slower steady weight loss. Good Luck all

Replies

• Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well too late I learned that losing weight rapidly can cause gall stones. I've lost over sixty lbs, It didn't seem too rapid though. I did become sick with gall stones,and had my gall bladder removed recently.My doctor told me that this is so common with rapid weight loss that they automatically remove your gall bladder when they do gastric bypass surgury. Just thought I'd share the info. Best opt for slower steady weight loss. Good Luck all
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    right now as we speak, i am doubled over in pain with what i think is my gall bladder. i haven't had an "attack" in over a month but today I ate bbq and mac and cheese and woke up around 2 to horrific pains high in my stomach. i heard that eating low amounts of fat can also cause gall bladder trouble because it forms sludge or something. i don't know if there is any truth to it but i can't take too many more of these episodes. What were your symptoms?
    :frown:
  • whatabelighter
    Options
    I too know what it is like to have gall bladder trouble. About 5 years ago I too lost weight quickly. In March 2003 I gave birth to my handsome boy, and by October I had lost over 40 pounds (but I never started to lose weight until June) So, I lost over 40 pounds in 4 months. For about two weeks I was having stomach flu like symptoms, every time I ate or drank anything I would rush to the washroom, and shortly after be kneel over in pain, at times it seemed that I was having a heart attack. Then at times it seems that I was having a water infection, so I downed canberry juice hoping that the pain would go away. Nothing I did helped. I made an appointment with my family doctor for the following Monday, however I didn't make it, the Sunday before I was in soo much pain my husband took me to the hospital. They hooked me up to IV, took (what seemed like to me gallons) of blood, and after an hour they were going to send me home and told my husband that I had the stomach flu. Has I was getting dressed, the technician ran told the doctor that I had pancreasitsis. They gave me the pain killers in an IV. I sent two and half weeks in the hospital waiting to have my gall bladder remove. The doctors said it is getting more and more common for younger women who have children and shortly after lose alot of weight too quickly afterwards to have trouble with their gall blader.

SO I WOULD SLOW THE WEIGHT LOST PROGRESS DOWN I WOULD WISH PANCREASITSIS ON ANYONE.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    right now as we speak, i am doubled over in pain with what i think is my gall bladder. i haven't had an "attack" in over a month but today I ate bbq and mac and cheese and woke up around 2 to horrific pains high in my stomach. i heard that eating low amounts of fat can also cause gall bladder trouble because it forms sludge or something. i don't know if there is any truth to it but i can't take too many more of these episodes. What were your symptoms?
    :frown:

I would bet my life that what your decribing is gaul stones. I have known too many people that have gone through it. If the pain of an attack persists for more than 8 hours PLEASE go to the ER. you gaul bladder can become infected and things can get real bad. I hope you feel better.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i just had mine out a few months ago. mine had nothing to do with fast weight loss. mine was disfunctional and full of stones (132 stones). i had the pain for years, they thought it was acid reflux. than after a week of daily pain they found out it was my gall bladder. it was infected and inflamed. doc said as he was taking it out it started falling apart. they counted removed 132 stones, not including the ones that fell out into my body. doc said mine was close to exploding, which would had been super bad. so don't wait if you think it is the problem.
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    gall bladder symptoms may vary, I began with excruciating pain upper abdomen between my breasts. However as the pain began to subside I always noticed it settled in the upper right lower rib cage area. The pain may also radiate to the back, and the right shoulder blade area. Stre ss seemed to affect it, and eating fatty or greasy meals. Sometimes nausea,and gas.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    When I got REALLY sick with my Gall Bladder, they wanted to schedule surgery for a day I had an exam. Being the perfectionist I was, I asked them to wait until the following week. I was warned to stay away from not only really fatty foods but also leafy green veggies. I couldn't figure out why I was getting so sick eating salads and then when they told me that it can bring on an attack, it all made sense. I have zero issues eating now and am SO glad I got it removed. The surgeon said it was a wonder I walked around with that sick of a gall bladder for as long as I did. I too went to the ER and was told I had the flu, only those idiots actually released me. I had been having symptoms since I was FOURTEEN (and I wasn't even overweight or yo-yoing then) and even went to a gastroenterologist. Because of my age and normal weight, they never thought to do an ultrasound on my gall bladder. I was told then that it was stress and IBS and to drop my two most stressful classes and watch my diet. Oh, and the ER that discharged me with the flu took an x-ray instead of doing an ultrasound. I urge you to please listen to your body and demand the proper tests be done to rule out whatever you think the problem is. We ended up losing insurance for 3 weeks (job transition) right after I went to the ER, so I had to wait 3 more weeks before I could be seen by anyone.

My Mother has had the issues with losing weight too rapidly and then if she eats something fatty, she gets very, very sick. She doesn't have the debilitating pain like I did, though. My poor husband had to lift my fat butt into the car to take me to the hospital across the street because I couldn't even walk. :tongue:
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out one month ago to this day. Life without it is wonderful. I was told my problems were hereditary but was also told it can come on from yo-yo'ing in weight. Losing rapidly and then putting weight back on, the constant cycle. My symtoms were severe acid reflx, pain in the upper right abdominal area that radiated to the back and up to my shoulders. When an attack was coming on I would also get a migraine and nausea.

Bottom line is, slow and steady wins the race....Its been said so many times on here....the slower the weight comes off, the more likely it will stay off and it is far better for ones health!
    :flowerforyou:
  • RAENLUKE
    RAENLUKE Posts: 17
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. My gall bladder episodesstarted when I was 4 months pregnant for my son. The Dr. decided it could wait until after delivery. He put me on a strict no fat diet. I went the next 5 months drinking protien shakes to maintain my weight. I only gained 6 lbs with my son thanks to the gall bladder. I ended up with liver complications and an emergency removal with a 4 week old baby at home. Do not ignore your symptoms, your organs can spil toxins into your body and cause terrible complications. I hope you get relief soon. Make sure you ask for an ultra sound not an xray.