help!

Options
So I don't know why, but every time I lose some weight, its like I freak myself out and eat to gain it back! Does anyone else have this problem, and if so how did you get over the addiction of being fat!? I know its all mental, because I can eat healthy and lose weight, but its like I'm afraid to lose this, I guess you could say comfort??

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally do this! I'll have a good week and show a good number on the scale and then I'll totally sabotage myself. however, the longer I spend eating healthy foods a couple of things happen. 1). I crave unhealthy foods less and less making it easier to stay on track and 2) When I do eat unhealthily it just makes me really uncomfortable. For example, I just had a chicken salad sandwich for lunch and I'm so full I'm slightly sick. My stomach is also clearly registering its unhappiness. So, that makes it easier too because then overeating just doesn't feel good!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes! I think self-sabotage is very common. My take on it is that when you are overweight it's very easy to blame all of your problems and unhappiness on being heavy, but when you start losing weight and get closer to your goal you realize that if you haven't dealt with the emotional baggage behind the weight you are just skinny with the same problems. I thought losing weight would help with my low self-esteem, repair my marriage, and make me a healthier and happier person in general. I'm 5lbs from my goal, and while losing weight has helped SOME, those issues were still lurking there and I deal with them individually too. So subconsciously as you realize that losing the weight isn't going to be cure-all, you eat up to protect yourself from dissapointment!
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow! So glad to hear I'm not the only one! It seems that every time I switch to a smaller clothing size, I have to start eating like a bear preparing to hibernate for the winter. In the Arctic.

I've tried something new in the past few months. Instead of berating myself and making myself feel horrible, I try to take it in stride and say, OK I screwed up today, tomorrow I will get back on track. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks before I'm actually back on track, but now, I'm fighting that battle wearing a size 13 instead of a 4X.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice, its nice to know I'm not the only one out there!
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I know I totally do this! A lot of it is because I have not dealt with things in my past. I am realizing that I need to understand why I put on the weight to begin with. I think for women in particular who have had abuse in their life it is a form of protection. I don't know your reason for the weigh gain or self sabotage but you should just spend some time really thinking about that and then try to fix those thinking patterns
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of mental abuse growing up, maybe I just haven't truly let that go quite yet!
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess I can join this club! I just started exercising again today and logging everything again. I had surgery the beginning of March and that has been my "excuse." I'm up 10 pounds from where I was 4 months ago. I'm determined this time to let the weight come off and not get let it come back because I had a good loss. I hit a certain number, 173, and then my weight always goes up. It is all mental. I am bound and determined this time though.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I do this, too. Don't know why, but I do. I had a bad week and the weight I gained was coming off, so what do I do? Better make that pizza tonight! What? So, okay, make the pizza for DH but dont' have any. Not gonna happen. I had 2 pieces AFTER I ate my healthy salad without dressing! THEN while cleaning up the kitchen hacked away at a pan of cornbread!

For me, I know it is the sugar and white flour causing cravings for me. I have been nibbling away at them. I am also down to my last 3 pounds so I think mentally I am loosening up. But I also know that loosening up will put the weight back on, so I have to figure this part out for myself or else I don't want to think about what will happen to me!

Figure it out for yourself, you are the only one that knows what drives YOU. Good luck! = D
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally do this! I'll have a good week and show a good number on the scale and then I'll totally sabotage myself. however, the longer I spend eating healthy foods a couple of things happen. 1). I crave unhealthy foods less and less making it easier to stay on track and 2) When I do eat unhealthily it just makes me really uncomfortable. For example, I just had a chicken salad sandwich for lunch and I'm so full I'm slightly sick. My stomach is also clearly registering its unhappiness. So, that makes it easier too because then overeating just doesn't feel good!

My body had the same response most notably with the holiday food parties. Mentally I was thinking "oh boy!" But I was not prepared for the physical reaction of "OH MY GOD give me veggies! I need fruit! Stop eating processed food and crap!" I felt like I had swallowed a lead balloon for 3 or 4 days! I was miserable! I had switched to an 80% vegan lifestyle with limited grains and eating the regular party food did not physically go over well with me, although I loved it while it was in my mouth.