Need Advice- Kindle Owners!

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Hands down the Kindle Fire!!! Love it!! for reading books but also very nice for watch shows, playing games, surfin the net and emails.... We got amazon prime for 80 bucks a year and get access to great free stuff and also free 2 day shipping on anything we order of amazon for the year.....
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I went with Kindle Touch 3G ($89) vs the Kindle Fire ($199).

Maily because the Kindle Touch 3G comes with free 3G forever. The Kindle Fire does not have 3G access, just WiFi. Since we do not have internet service at home, the 3G was a better option for me.

But, the Fire sure looks fun...but I have a smart phone, so I can already do that stuff.

Also, highly recommend getting the Amazon Prime membership. Get lots of free books, and you can watch current movies and TV shows!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have had a fire for about 3 weeks now and love and even better I won it so that is a bonus. I love the free books I can get and love being able to play words with friends and logging on to MFP at the Y.
  • saritabandita
    saritabandita Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a Kindle Fire for my birthday. I can't wait- especially after reading all these other comments! :bigsmile:
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've had the Kindle Fire since last November & I love it! Tons of free books to download and lots of free apps too, (even for my kids to play with :-) )

It's small enough to take with you just about anywhere.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have the Kindle that was sold just last Christmas, it's really nice but I would definitely love a Kindle Fire since it has a lot of other capabilities, especially for such a low price! I'll upgrade to a Kindle Fire once a new model or two comes out. I'd say go for the Fire!
  • beth_mcnichol
    Options
    I have the Kindle Fire; all I wanted one for was reading too HOWEVER this thing can do everything, I love it!
    The only issue I have is using MyFitnessPal and not seeing the scroll on the left had side when searching for meals, drinks and snacks.
  • mrstweedle1
    mrstweedle1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the nook color and I love it! I carry it everywhere with me. Although I read on it more than anything else I do love that you can do apps and the internet if you want (through wi-fi). I also get my Entertainment weekly on it and it is fantastic to read while walking on the treadmill. Since I got mine I have finished 3 times as many books in the last 8 months than in the previous year. Whichever you decide on, if you are a book lover it will be totally worth it!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle, but just a regular one with a keypad. It's awesome. I used to read a lot anyway but now I find it easier to read even more and so many books are now out of copyright and free to download. Plus there's the Kindle daily deal where amazon put a heavy reduction on a different book each day. I couldn't recommend one enough, I love mine.

Seconded. I had a Sony ebook & when that died I replaced it with a Kindle (with the keyboard). I love it to bits. And being able to download books without needing my laptop is so so handy.
  • patcaak
    patcaak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I received the Kindle 2 for my retirement from my employer in 2009. Love it love it love it!!! Went with me everywhere - I have become an avid reader. This past Christmas my son got me the Kindle Fire - can do so much more on it and I find it easier to read than the older Kindle. The backlight can be adjusted in the settings if you think it is too bright. Me - I like the brightness! Might be cause I'm getting OLDER!!! LOL! I like that I can access the MFP and keep on track - even on vacation.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    for just a bit more money you get so much more with a Kindle Fire. In fact, Amazon takes a loss on every kindle sold. Their theory is that they will make up for it in digital media sales. SO for that price you are getting much more than you could otherwise in another tablet for that price.
  • Schmiegelette
    Schmiegelette Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One word you need to know with Kindle "OVERDRIVE" I don't like to buy books, so I never got a Kindle, then this fall Overdrive worked out an agreement with Amazon that allows you to download books from your local library onto a Kindle product (assuming they have it in the right format). Like most library books sometimes you have to wait your turn, but it will automatically send me an email when my hold is available, then I just go online and download it to my Kindle. Truely lovely!!! No more dragging kids to the library just to get books. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have the regular kindle no keyboard. I got the family all kindles for christmas. The people who I bought the touch for wished they just had the regular, it's easier to use when you're reading. Don't have to even lift your hand it's great. I love it!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Sorry- I don't have time to read through all this....
    If you want to read outside in sunlight, do not get the Kindle Fire. Get one of the eInk ones.
    I have a K2, and I adore it. I read on it for hours at night. No eye strain what so ever. I have a droid phone, with the Amazon app added to it. I can't read on it for nearly as long as I can my regular kindle. Too much eye strain. And forget about reading outside. I can't even see the screen on my Droid. The plain old eInk Ks have amazing battery life. I charge my K2 up maybe once every week and a half.... maybe. You will be charging the Fire daily.

If I were you, I'd get the cheapest eInk one and Fire. Best of both worlds, and easy to synch between devices as you read books.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and bought the Kindle Fire. I am SO excited!!! Thankyou for everyones opinions. I am confident I will love it as much as you all love yours!!

My bf purchased the prime membership, so I'll get some free books and faster shipping!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    no shipping for kindle books, they just download right to your kindle! but you can take advantage of prime for other amazon stuff, like we get toys and video games and ... pretty much everything from amazon.

take full advantage of the FREE Classic titles on the kindle! I paid NOTHING to replace my old set of ****ens, shakespeare, and alcott!
  • Moeblessings
    Options
    I went ahead and bought the Kindle Fire. I am SO excited!!! Thankyou for everyones opinions. I am confident I will love it as much as you all love yours!!

My bf purchased the prime membership, so I'll get some free books and faster shipping!!

So, remember when I said I had the kindle touch? Well my seven year old niece got the kindle fire for her birthday! I must admit after asking for permission to play with it a little bit, I started to feel a bit jealous! LOL I like that it is pretty portable and small. The screen does look bright when I was trying to read one of her Dr. Seus books and it hurt my eyes a bit. Then again I do stare at a computer all day long! Either way...I'd say the Fire is pretty cool. I don't think you'll be disappointed!
  • ladylaine
    ladylaine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I HAVE THE KINDLE FIRE AND I LOVE IT:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think the Kindle Fire is kind of like a lame iPad in that it has backlight. For me, I hate reading books on my phone or iPad. I have a regular kindle and love it. I can read books on my iPad but hate it. The backlight kills my eyes. And, I was aging trouble sleeping. I read some research about how the backlight on iPads, phones, computer screens and tv's stops that sleepy chemical in your brain from producing. So, I switched to reading my regular kindle and the problem went away.

Before I buy books now, I compare which is cheaper, a kindle book, or a real book, and I buy he cheaper one. The advantage of Kindle is there are all kinds of free books out there. But, sometimes buying the real book is less expensive so I do that.

Hope this helps.

Oops! I see I was too late. Backlight is a big issue. I hope I'm wrong about that. Enjoy!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had a Kindle 2, and loved it. However, I ended up getting a Motorola Xoom because it isn't locked down like the Fire. However, if you are not big on customization, the Fire is a great option.