desperate help..gaining weight

Options
OK, I logged on a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't losing. Now, I am gaining! I have gained 6lbs, since then. I am gettting really discouraged. I know that I can do this, because I have done it before, however this time I dont know how! I have tried everything I know..Been eating healthy and working out. My upper body is staying in shape, but around my waist and hips isn't! The only thing I can think of that could be hindering me is sweet tea..Could this be the problem? I was only eating about 1200 + working out. But now I have uped to cals to about 1500 and working out???
I seriously need help, because I am at a lose of what to do....
PS...cutting out the sweet tea this week...

sample meals for today:
3 egg whites
1 egg
1 cup milk
1.5 pieces of toast

.5 cup cottage cheese
sliced strawberries

tuna in water with mustard
apple
7 triscuit crackers

working out- 80-90 of cardio. maybe some weights...

carrots

haven't planned dinner yet... thinking maybe a protein shake
This is where I would usually have a two glasses of tea with my meal.

Replies

• tracijo50
    tracijo50 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OK, I logged on a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't losing. Now, I am gaining! I have gained 6lbs, since then. I am gettting really discouraged. I know that I can do this, because I have done it before, however this time I dont know how! I have tried everything I know..Been eating healthy and working out. My upper body is staying in shape, but around my waist and hips isn't! The only thing I can think of that could be hindering me is sweet tea..Could this be the problem? I was only eating about 1200 + working out. But now I have uped to cals to about 1500 and working out???

sample meals for today:
    3 egg whites
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1.5 pieces of toast

.5 cup cottage cheese
    sliced strawberries

apple
    7 triscuit crackers

carrots

• 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Were you eating back the exercise calories when you were at 1200? All 8 glasses of water?:huh: These are what I was asked when I wasn't losing, I didn't gain either? I upped my calorie intake to 1340. I hope I helped some! Good luck!:smile:
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Does that meal plan add up to 1500 calories? It looks pretty sparse to me. It definitely takes some playing around to figure out what works best, but I didn't start seeing the scale move until I learned to eat my exercise calories. I also changed my diet so that I was eating a bigger breakfast to rev up my metabolism right away.

Also, have you been logging the calories for the sweet tea? I always log my drinks if they have any calories at all.
  • jenstrausbaugh
    Options
    It does not look like you are eating enough! I know it is hard to imagine but if you do not eat all of your calories a day......you can gain weight. you are putting your body through a starvation mode when you don't eat enough. Even when you are working out...you still need to eat your calories.....you just don't have to eat your "workout calories"!!
  • tracijo50
    Options
    what are some suggestions for meals to up the cals? I thought that I had uped them to accomadate the work outs...I am just getting really discouraged...It makes me want to just give up...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    what are some suggestions for meals to up the cals? I thought that I had uped them to accomadate the work outs...I am just getting really discouraged...It makes me want to just give up...

give up? give up and do what?

give up and get more overweight and more un healthy?

give up?

CHANGE THAT ATTITUDE NOW

this takes time...learn and experiment...read...change things....

GIVING UP IS FOR LOSERS

Are you a loser?

THINK POSITIVE...give it some time and hang in there
  • glendaz
    glendaz Posts: 55
    Options

sample meals for today:
    3 egg whites
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1.5 pieces of toast

.5 cup cottage cheese
    sliced strawberries

apple
    7 triscuit crackers

carrots

When I look at your menu, I am pretty sure you aren't eating enough. I would add some veggies to your morning eggs. Why not turn your tuna into a salad and add some other salad ingredients with it. Don't give up...keep playing with your menu and you will see results!
  • cookydt
    cookydt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Dave!
    I know you weren't talking to me, but I needed that kick in my well-padded behind!
    Thanks!
  • tracijo50
    Options
    Im just scared that Im going to keep gaining..and thats not at all what I want to happen!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

sample meals for today:
    3 egg whites
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1.5 pieces of toast

.5 cup cottage cheese
    sliced strawberries

apple
    7 triscuit crackers

carrots

where are your veggies? i would cut the 4 eggs as well in the morning and eat something that will stick like oatmeal..or lean meat and veggies or perhaps 1 boiled egg and some meat and fruit...i dont eat over 1200 calories but even I eat more than whats on your menu...also do u workout daily? and do u drink water? Dave is right give up and do what?? think about it pounds lost is only a portion of the reason you should be on this healthy wagon..if your here for only to drop pounds you could do a quick fix diet..good luck i suggest getting refocused and really increase your excercise intensity if your able.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    what kind of cardio are you doing?
    maybe you need to kick up the intensity. Change up your cardio, you body gets used to the motions of a workout in 4-6 weeks and you begin to loose less calories when doing it.

i agree, you need to eat a lot more than that. listen to everyone about eating above...

I would see a doctor if you are gaining on what you are eating.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    sample meals for today:
    3 egg whites
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1.5 pieces of toast

.5 cup cottage cheese
    sliced strawberries

apple
    7 triscuit crackers

carrots

I would be starving off that menu. You need to drink 8 cups of water at least, where's your fruits and veggies? 5 servings of veggies and 3 servings of fruit
    try lean meat, oatmeal, milk,

try a large salad like I do

1 and a half cups of spring mix
    1 long carrot
    half a green pepper
    3 green onions
    1 celery stalk
    grape tomatoes
    cucumber with the peel
    2 tablespoons of dressing and don't cut back on the light stuff at this point
    around 200 cals by itself

oatmeal with strawberries or bananas
    a glass of soy milk
    300 cals

this is only a third of what I eat a day, and I've been losing weight now

how many calories are you burning a day in those work outs?
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose, generally speaking, so it will take a long time for you to take it off. If you are gaining, and watching your water, also watch your sodium as that can make you bloat up and have a lot of water weight gain too. You may be gaining but are you losing inches?

I've also read that doing that much cardio work that frequently can work against you... you might want to search the threads for that.

I agree that you're probably not eating enough and your body is retaining fat. Make sure you eat some good fats with every meal, so your body will realize it's getting enough nutrition.

At what you've listed you're eating, it's likely you'll gain it all back as son as you eat anything close to a normal meal, I would work on not being so restrictive with your diet and try to really work on nutrition.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

sample meals for today:
    3 egg whites
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1.5 pieces of toast

.5 cup cottage cheese
    sliced strawberries

apple
    7 triscuit crackers

carrots

where are your veggies? i would cut the 4 eggs as well in the morning and eat something that will stick like oatmeal..or lean meat and veggies or perhaps 1 boiled egg and some meat and fruit...i dont eat over 1200 calories but even I eat more than whats on your menu...also do u workout daily? and do u drink water? Dave is right give up and do what?? think about it pounds lost is only a portion of the reason you should be on this healthy wagon..if your here for only to drop pounds you could do a quick fix diet..good luck i suggest getting refocused and really increase your excercise intensity if your able.

with your egg whites eat some plain original oatmeal- eat a complex carb with your lunch too not just a protein- When you have meals you need a protein and complex carb
    When you tally your food for the day how does your carb intake look- Too many carbs isn't good- and yes you need vegetables and sweet tea is hella fattening because its packed with sugar I had to give it up and I love it but I also love being smaller--
    Drink your water too you need it
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I'd add veggies to the eggs before getting rid of the eggs. I'm not too much of an egg fan but starting your day with a dose of protein is very good for weight loss.

What are you having after workouts? Any kind of recovery drink? Milk? Chocolate milk? There are some calories right here that you can be adding.

Also, snacks. You should be eating every 2-3 hours. They can be small 100-calorie snacks but eating more frequently will boost your metabolism.

Most importantly, tind out how many calories you are burning so you know whow much you need to eat.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I'd add veggies to the eggs before getting rid of the eggs. I'm not too much of an egg fan but starting your day with a dose of protein is very good for weight loss.

What are you having after workouts? Any kind of recovery drink? Milk? Chocolate milk? There are some calories right here that you can be adding.

Also, snacks. You should be eating every 2-3 hours. They can be small 100-calorie snacks but eating more frequently will boost your metabolism.

Most importantly, tind out how many calories you are burning so you know whow much you need to eat.

I wouldn't drink anything sugary like milk or chocolate milk after workouts- because sugar gets absorbed faster into your muscles- Go for proteins and complex carbs much better choice or even a recovery shake..
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink anything sugary like milk or chocolate milk after workouts- because sugar gets absorbed faster into your muscles- Go for proteins and complex carbs much better choice or even a recovery shake..

Chocolate milk has the perfect ratio of protein to carbs (4:1) recommended for muscle recovery. It's a means of refueling glycogen-depleted muscles.

Skim milk as well and other low-fat milk taken after resistance training workouts are used to protmote muscle mass maintenance and gains.

NOTE: I don't know how these work for more moderate workouts but the OP mentioned 90-minute cardio sessions with weights so I'm assuming they're intense.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    maybe I jumped in on this one a tad too late seeing as all of the authorities have already spoken up, but you deffinately are not eating enough. Ever hear the term "fuel the fire"?? It's not just a pretty cliche thing to say, it actually has merit >>> and if you want to start a fire then you need to feed it.
  • MattySparky
    Options

Just curious where you got this info, everyone I know that is into serious body sculpting mixes their protein with Milk and consumes it immediately after a tough muscle ripping workout. Some of them are trainers so Im assuming that they know something about the topic. In fact, the protein I take is recommended to be mixed with milk because of the carbs it provides (and other things as well). Super curious about this one.
  • MattySparky
    Options

with your egg whites eat some plain original oatmeal- eat a complex carb with your lunch too not just a protein- When you have meals you need a protein and complex carb
    When you tally your food for the day how does your carb intake look- Too many carbs isn't good- and yes you need vegetables and sweet tea is hella fattening because its packed with sugar I had to give it up and I love it but I also love being smaller--
    Drink your water too you need it

again... I drink "sugar packed" tea every single day... however I must be some sort of anomoly (sp??) or something because Im losing weight regularly. Sugar is not the enemy, you have been fooled!