Green Tea Question

Options
So from what I've gathered and read all over the place is that in order to reap the benefits of green tea for weight loss, you have to drink quite a bit of it. Some swear by 4, others say more than that.

I brew Lipton green tea bags in hot water. Do you think if I put two tea bags in hot water, had one two-bag serving of green tea in the morning and another in the evening, would that be the same as having 4 cups a day?

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Do you not like Green tea? I love it, get through 4-8 cups a day. For me it's more the water content I'm getting. I think with 4 separate servings you're gaining the benefits of all the extra water.
    Strongly brewed green tea doesn't taste nice to me so I wouldn't drink it if it were too strong.
    If you don't like Green Tea there are supplement pills I've heard if that helps?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There has been a considerable amount of hype surrounding the miraculous properties of green tea however there are some well established health benefits to drinking it (anti-oxidant properties)

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/benefit_of_drinking_green_tea

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/sep/2008/greentea/index.cfm

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/sep/2007/greentea/index.cfm

so drink up.

To brew green tea properly you should bring the water to a boil, let ti cool down briefly and then let it steep for about 3 to 5 minutes. I'm not sure of "hot" water" is adequate to bring out the flavonoids.
  • What I'm asking is, would I be getting the same benefits as having four individual cups having two cups a day, with two tea bags in each cup?
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    no then in my humble opinion
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Don't believe so. The benefits in terms of weight loss with green tea are not all that great.

If drinking it helps you get more water in great. However I wouldn't rely on it for weight loss.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You know what's really funny. I was just sitting here thinking, "I don't even know how much tea I've drank today" I drink green tea solely for the purpose of enjoyment. I've not noticed any help what so ever with my weight loss though. So maybe drink it for pleasure but for weight loss i think it's a bust.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about doubling up, but I have a cup of green tea with every meal. This way I get at least three in a day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What benefit(s) do you believe you will get if you drink X amount of green tea servings in a day?
  • iamlottiebee
    iamlottiebee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The more teabags, the stronger the brew, so I guess you could potentially get twice the benefits... I'm not sure though. The longer you brew green tea for the more bitter it becomes. I drink about 6 cups of Chinese Jasmine Green Tea everyday, and love it (got hooked on good Jasmine Tea in China - you should try it, it's much nicer than regular old Lipton, especially if you can fine loose leaf tea), but even drinking as much as I do, I find that if it is over brewed it just tastes gross, and actually if REALLY over brewed, kind of makes me feel queezy.

In my opinion, with the added water consumption, and improved taste, irrespective of if you can get "double the dose" in one cup, you're better off drinking all 4 cups individually.
  • KELLYSAWIN
    Options
    What I'm asking is, would I be getting the same benefits as having four individual cups having two cups a day, with two tea bags in each cup?

Yes. You would. I can't drink 2 whole cups (16 oz.) in one sitting, so I brew my 2 bags in a cup that holds 12 ounces. It tastes great to me and I'm able to drink it all.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Personally, I keep a 64oz watter bottle.. 24oz Arizona's Diet Green Tea and the rest water. I drink 1 1/2-2 a day. That's more than the four required. So this would be an option, mix it with your water if you already consume large amounts and that way you can get it all in.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I dont really drink the tea as I dont really like it but i do take 1 green tea extract capsule a day apparently it helps the breakdown of fats in the body. Im not sure wether it has for me or wether its just diet and excercise thats helped me lose weight! lol
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I personally don't think green tea will help you with weight loss. green tea has caffeine in it which inhibits your adrenals and dehydrates the body. you are better off just drinking herbal teas to hydrate and just eat right. lots of fruits and veggies.
  • imagicaxx
    imagicaxx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The more teabags, the stronger the brew, so I guess you could potentially get twice the benefits... I'm not sure though. The longer you brew green tea for the more bitter it becomes. I drink about 6 cups of Chinese Jasmine Green Tea everyday, and love it (got hooked on good Jasmine Tea in China - you should try it, it's much nicer than regular old Lipton, especially if you can fine loose leaf tea), but even drinking as much as I do, I find that if it is over brewed it just tastes gross, and actually if REALLY over brewed, kind of makes me feel queezy.

In my opinion, with the added water consumption, and improved taste, irrespective of if you can get "double the dose" in one cup, you're better off drinking all 4 cups individually.

Wondering what brand of Chinese Jasmine green tea you get and where you get it?
    That's one of my favorites from China but I'm not sure on a good one to get here.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try some of the flavored green teas! I'm not crazy about plain green tea, but I LOVE the black current & vanilla flavor that lipton makes.
  • souljahblack
    souljahblack Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a firm believer that Green Tea helps you loose weight if you use it right. As a recently Retired Army First Sergeant one of my jobs was too whip my Soldiers in shape. Also I am an average body builder on the side as a hobby. I would drink Green Tea about 5 am before my workout. It would boost my metabolism faster and keep it going through the day. I did this with 17 of my overweight Soldiers. I would have them drink a hot cup in the morning before exercise and a cup before they went to bed. Around 730 so they would be able to sleep. Out of the 17 Soldiers twelve accomplish their goal losing an average of 23lbs. This is still with eating a healthy meal and exercising and a lot of water to flush out the toxins. If you drink the water you are suppose to drink daily , you will not have to worry about dehydration. Those other 5 Soldiers had to work harder because they wern't eat the proper diet.. Green Tea gets a thumbs up in my book and Istill do the same regiment drinking tea daily.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Try Green tea extract supplements if you're finding it hard to drink the 4 cups a day. I take 3 pills a day which equals 3 cups of green tea :) and they are not pricey at all.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup before bed, helps me relax and curbs those snacky cravings I get. Don't think I could drink it all the time though, not a fan of the taste.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Try Green tea extract supplements if you're finding it hard to drink the 4 cups a day. I take 3 pills a day which equals 3 cups of green tea :) and they are not pricey at all.

^^ this is what I thought. I guess you get the same benefits taking the extract instead of drinking the tea?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes exactly, which is perfect for non-tea drinkers like myself.