Recommend me: Quirky Books for Young Kids.

Options
MissO﹠A
MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
Just going through a Roald Dahl reading spree with my kiddo. We've finished The BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and are reading excerpts from his other works. (James and the Giant Peach is next on the list.)

Have any quirky / black humour children's books you can recommend that both you and your kids enjoyed reading together?

Please and thank you. :drinker:

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One of the books that I loved so much as a kid was "The ants who took away time" by William Kotzwinkle. I just loved the story and the illustrations. It seems to be out of print now, but it can probably be found used. I actually bought a used copy a few years back just so I could have it in my life, and perhaps some day I will have kids of my own who can read it.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    http://www.lemonysnicket.com/

A Series of Unfortunate Events. I bought these for my niece, and read them with her. I loved them.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The BFG and Matilda are my favorite Roald Dahl books, but they are all fabulous.

Find and read Which Witch by Eva Ibbotson. It is AWESOME, and very Roald Dahl-esque.

Also, I love Louis Sachar books (Wayside Stories, Holes).
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Also, this is for girls mostly, but the "Once Upon A Time" series (there are several authors) is great. They retell classic fairy tales.
    Golden, which is a retelling of Rapunzel, is AMAZING! Seriously, the main character is bald - not a hair on her body - but the story works. It's fabulous.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    They might enjoy Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. I read it in 8th grade and again in 10th (product of moving all the time, different schools read stuff in different years). But since, I've read it at least 6 or 7 times.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Tales of a fourth grade nothing and the Fudge books by Judy Blume
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Y'all rock. Cheers. :heart: I'm adding all of these to my Amazon Wish List.

Susie: Thanks for mentioning Lemony Snicket, got the box set sitting on the shelf which I've forgotten about and never even opened. *smacks forehead*
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. but you might want to read it first - i did for the nephews and then put it away for a few years. it's a bit dark.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Berkeley Breathed (the guy who used to do the "Bloom County" comics) wrote a couple of kids' books...one of our favorites is "Edward Fudwupper Fibbed Big." It's a picture book (so it's not very complicated or long), but it's HYSTERICAL.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I lived off Judy Blume books! I only recently read James and the Giant Peach and Matilda, but I LOVED them, too.
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    The Phantom Tollbooth and The Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Like Maab's these may be a bit "dark" but my little girl really loves the Lenore series of comics by Roman Dirge. They're quirky and funny but a smidge "goth". So you've been warned, but the two of us love them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

A Series of Unfortunate Events. I bought these for my niece, and read them with her. I loved them.

Those were good books!!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    The Phantom Tollbooth
    YES!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The Phantom Tollbooth - They just did a huge re-print for its anniversary, I loved this book as a child and have found that I still love it today.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Depending on reading level check out Xanth series by Piers Anthony...my son is devouring these currently. Full of fantasy characters, magic and puns (which is his gavorite part!)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Bump because my daughter goes through books faster than even I did at her age.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Seconded! And I'm bummed she beat me to it, it's he first thing I thought of to recommend. I have entertained kids from 2nd graders through middle school with this series. It's fabulous.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    All of these are on my list to recommend! Also, I loved The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids series and the Young Wizard Series by Diane Duane (for slightly older readers than these other books).
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. but you might want to read it first - i did for the nephews and then put it away for a few years. it's a bit dark.

I just read this and loved it. I'm going to read it with my 9 year old after we finish Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.