MFP vs. 800 calorie per day diet???

Options
I just started this program, and hope to lose at least 13 lbs, but my ultimate goal is 20 lbs.

My co-worker says that eating 1300-1500 calories every day is too much - and that I will be lucky to lose 1 lb a week. She is doing Dr. Berenstein Diet (no carbs, no fat, vitamin B injections) and she eats about 800 calories a day. I think I would faint.

She's been on it for 3 months, has already lost 60 lbs, and says she is still losing 3-5 EVERY single week!

Is she right - should I try and follow her diet plan? I do want to lose this weight by a friend's wedding in June.

I think my plan is MUCH healthier, but you can't deny her amazing success.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
Thanks!
:smile:

Replies

• 135gratitude
    Options
    I just started this program, and hope to lose at least 13 lbs, but my ultimate goal is 20 lbs.

My co-worker says that eating 1300-1500 calories every day is too much - and that I will be lucky to lose 1 lb a week. She is doing Dr. Berenstein Diet (no carbs, no fat, vitamin B injections) and she eats about 800 calories a day. I think I would faint.

She's been on it for 3 months, has already lost 60 lbs, and says she is still losing 3-5 EVERY single week!

Is she right - should I try and follow her diet plan? I do want to lose this weight by a friend's wedding in June.

I think my plan is MUCH healthier, but you can't deny her amazing success.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    :smile:
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    60 lbs. in 3 months?? Does that even SOUND healthy?

Besides when she's done with that DIET and starts eating noramlly again she'll gain every pound of it back, and probably more.

You're making a lifestyle change. You may only drop a pound a week, but you'll be doing it in a slow healthy way that will help you keep it off for life.
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    60 lbs. in 3 months?? Does that even SOUND healthy?

Besides when she's done with that DIET and starts eating noramlly again she'll gain every pound of it back, and probably more.

You're making a lifestyle change. You may only drop a pound a week, but you'll be doing it in a slow healthy way that will help you keep it off for life.
  • BillieBrink
    Options
    Your plan is much healthier. She will lose and then gain back when she stops what she is doing now. You can not continue stuff like that long term!:noway:

Plus here, it will be easier for you to make this life change.

Stick with us and give it a try!!:happy:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    My grandmother did Dr. Bersteins and as soon as she got to her goal she started eating healthy but still more than 800 she gained it back on 1250 a day
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Oh geez... where do I start?

First of all, 800 calories a day is not really sustainable for the long term. Imagine what will happen to this friend of yours when she is off her diet? Will she know what to eat then? Probably not. This diet of hers will work for as long as she's on it, and then the weight will come back on quickly when she goes off it.

Second, your brain needs carbs to function properly. It's a good idea to replace refined carbs with "good carbs" like whole grains and fruit, but I would steer clear of low-carb and especially no-carb diets. You will be cranky and spacey, I guarantee.

Third, our bodies need fats to absorb vitamins and minerals from food. Also, healthy fats from vegetable and fish sources have been proven to have health benefits and prevent disease. They should also not be completely removed from your diet.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you should stick with your healthy eating plan. You'll be happier, and it's more likely to be successful in the long term. Yes, it will take longer, but when faced with this kind of choice, I always remind myself that the easy/fast way is rarely the best way.

Good luck!
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    That sounds like the starvation diet to me!
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    MFP most definately!!!! On an 800 cal/day diet your body will just going into starvation mode eventually. Your body needs fat and carbs, just in moderation. MFP is good for that because it shows you how much. Yes, it might not be the quick way - but it is the more permanent & healthy way!!
    You didn't gain weight overnight, you shouldn't lose it overnight either.

You should NEVER consume less than 1200 cal/day and if you work out you should be eating the cals you burned away. MFP is already giving you a deficit - for example based on what I do all day (sit on my *kitten* at a computer..lol) I burn on average 1,750 cals/day. My daily consumption however is only 1,200....so I'm already consuming 550 less cals than what my what my body would burn. Anything less and your body won't have enough "fuel" to keep running.

Hope that makes sense? Check your GOALS section on the Home page to see what your deficit is based on your profile settings.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

I KNEW that diet was not healthy - it's just SO appealing that she's lost so quickly - and she does look good. She was saying that I could lose all my weight in four weeks - that was appealing!

I'm sticking with the healthy plan!

And in her words, "I DO get to eat carbs - I get 2 Triscuit crackers twice a week!" Yikes.
    :noway:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    If it seems to good to be true...it usually is. Go with MFP!
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

I KNEW that diet was not healthy - it's just SO appealing that she's lost so quickly - and she does look good. She was saying that I could lose all my weight in four weeks - that was appealing!

I'm sticking with the healthy plan!

And in her words, "I DO get to eat carbs - I get 2 Triscuit crackers twice a week!" Yikes.
    :noway:

WHOA....tell her not to over do it...I mean 2 crackers a week...that's a little overboard!! hahaha LMAO!!:laugh:
  • acjmomma
    acjmomma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my sister did that diet for 4 months and lost almost 80 pounds, and once she got to a weight she was happy with she started eating carbs again, and just generally eating more although she was still eating healthy, probably around 1400 cal a day and she has gained back almost 40 lbs in the last 2 months or so. she is now back on the diet because she is getting married in Oct and bought her dress in her smaller size so if she wants to fit into it she is going to have to continue this "diet" until her wedding. I have been following a healthy balanced diet of 1200-1400 cals per day and I have lost 30 lbs since Jan.

You can do it without "starving" yourself, it will be slower but it will be worth it.
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Betty, from how you explaint it you only have about 13-20 pounds to lose altogether, while your co-worker has 60+ to lose. That itself makes a difference because the more "fat depots" you have the more deficit you can afford yourself without putting yourself in danger because there is a lot energy stored. Some years ago when I was very close to my healthy BMI i was starving myself to about 700 calories a day and i got me a nice anemia, falling hair and other pleasures to go with it. Not to mention that once I quit the weight got back on and obviously a lot extra after that... Now I have finally realized what the right way is and so far lost 40+ pounds in 3 months. It is indeed less than these 60 pounds you mention as an example but not THAT less to be worth putting yourself at risk of malnutrition and health problems. If you only have that few pounds to lose, it will probably not even take 3 months altogether to lose, so you'd rather spend this time teaching yourself some healthy habits and not worry about losing the weight ASAP.
  • Jolieblond
    Options
    Stick with MFP. It's something you can stick with for life...Not just for a few months. No doctor should ever suggest 800 calories a day. I bet she is losing muscle as opposed to just fat weight also...Which is TERRIBLE. Eat your 12-1400 calorie a day diet and drink your water....exercise moderately and you will be just fine and in the long run have much more success.
  • newlifestyle36
    Options
    I think we all would love to lose weight fast but to play out a yo yo diet no thank you i wan't to lose it and keep it off . it's all about the your life stye change and living with it for the rest of your life .

so maybe when your friend is tired of the yo yo diet and the quick fix diets you could show her how to lose weight and keep it off and we would welcome her to this a site as we welcome you and eveyone the come's here .:smile:

GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Really would like to here what people like Banks & song birdy sweet would have to say.

What I have to add is from 2 friends of my wife's that used the Dr. B program and it worked for them. One has been 1 year from reaching her goal weight and has been able to maintain that weight by sensible eating and excercise. The other has lost about 40 lbs in 2 or 3 months.

The Dr. B. program also has the vitamin shot or supplement which must be very important on 800 calories a day. Do not try the program on your own. Even though it goes against everything we have learnt here, they at least monitor and give you the required supplements. If you are not doing the program with Dr. B. then do not try it.

I still beleive slow and steady is the way to go.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Betty, from how you explaint it you only have about 13-20 pounds to lose altogether, while your co-worker has 60+ to lose. That itself makes a difference because the more "fat depots" you have the more deficit you can afford yourself without putting yourself in danger because there is a lot energy stored. Some years ago when I was very close to my healthy BMI i was starving myself to about 700 calories a day and i got me a nice anemia, falling hair and other pleasures to go with it. Not to mention that once I quit the weight got back on and obviously a lot extra after that... Now I have finally realized what the right way is and so far lost 40+ pounds in 3 months. It is indeed less than these 60 pounds you mention as an example but not THAT less to be worth putting yourself at risk of malnutrition and health problems. If you only have that few pounds to lose, it will probably not even take 3 months altogether to lose, so you'd rather spend this time teaching yourself some healthy habits and not worry about losing the weight ASAP.

Thanks for sharing your story!

My BMI is 24, so my doctor says to take the weight loss slow - she actually said to focus on fitness, and that should help me with these last pounds.
    :flowerforyou:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    :smile: Thanks to EVERYONE who replied - your stories inspire me, and I'm just going to plug away, follow the calories on here, and see what happens!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there will be.... Flab
  • losinglynn
    Options
    IMO "dieting" is only a temporary solution. Changing your eating habits and developing an exercise routine will allow you to live a healthy life, permanently. :)

800 calories a day is starvation mode and the body will rebel.

You're doing the right thing by eating within the guidelines set when you joined.