My desk job is makes me eat...

Options
Meghan0129
Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
I have been working full time for 7 months. Within the first three months I gained 15 pounds. I began dieting and exercising more often (increasing the cardio). I have since gained 5 more pounds. My biggest problem is that I don't have much to do and I end up eating to fill my time. I have tried spending more time on this site and try playing online games but I just can't fill my time. I am being conquered by bordome eating. Any advice?

Replies

• Meghan0129
    Options
    I have been working full time for 7 months. Within the first three months I gained 15 pounds. I began dieting and exercising more often (increasing the cardio). I have since gained 5 more pounds. My biggest problem is that I don't have much to do and I end up eating to fill my time. I have tried spending more time on this site and try playing online games but I just can't fill my time. I am being conquered by bordome eating. Any advice?
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    If you have spare time to kill at your job, either ask for more work... or if allowed, find something you are really interested in and study it during your job. Take training classes online. Don't make excuses for eating more. Life is always going to throw you curve balls... especially in your diet. I used to be a boredom eater as well. If you must eat, bring baggies of cut up celery and drink lots and lots of water.
  • llmgold11
    llmgold11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job and that along with meeting my boyfriend caused me to pack on the pounds...60 to be exact. I have found that keeping a constant supply of sugar free gum and water on my desk has helped me to curb the mindless eating.

If that doesn't work--I also keep nuts and tuna packets in my desk drawer.
  • BillieBrink
    Options
    You need to pack what you can eat while you are at work. Log it on your food diary and do not go off of it. This is all about you and what you want to look and feel like.

Don't let food ruin it. Don't let other talk you into it either.:smile:
  • HopTuNaa
    HopTuNaa Posts: 31
    Options
    I would say.... pack your lunch for the day, and don't bring any spare money for food with you - that way you can't buy any more. You can't eat what you don't have!!!

I too have a desk job these days. I'm still finding it hard adjusting from November when I changed from a highly active job on my feet all day and walking around,climbing stairs etc... now I'm stationed at my desk. It's not such a busy job and I don't have a lot to do. Try this out... if you feel hungry, then wait 20 mins. If you're still hungry after 20 mins then maybe you do need to eat... personally I find if I've not eaten within 20 mins of the initial hunger, it just passes.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have a desk job also and I used to boredom eat like crazy! Now that I have changed my lifestyle (with the help of this site) I have noticed that I want to eat at my desk but its not because I'm hungry-its because its habit. Once you break that habit, the wanting to eat all the time feeling will go away. I drink lots of water and eat multiple small meals while at work that would equal 2 regular size meals (breakfast and dinner). Its not easy BUT ITS DEFINITELY POSSIBLE!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    I know the feeling........... I now work at a MUCH slower paced desk job than I did a year ago, and the 15 pounds crept up really fast!:sad: :embarassed: :brokenheart:

If you're like me and crave sweets, I've found that dry Special K Choclatey Delight ceral is great to munch on at work. It satisfies my sweet tooth, plus I'm getting fiber without realizing it. 120 calories for 3/4 serving, but it takes forever to eat that much because you're actively crunching! It's worth a try..... it's the only dry cereal I've found that I like and is actually healthy - no more sugar bombs like Froot Loops for me! :noway: I also drink water all day after my one Coke Zero in the morning (about half a can).:drinker: :drinker:

If you're craving something, take a short walk away from your office if you can..... that also helps. Good luck......... nobody can make you eat except you!:flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make myself a "rule." I'll say I can have ONE yogurt at 11am. That's it. Then I have to try not to succumb to any temptation! Then I'll make a rule that I can't eat again until lunch.

It's OCD, but it works!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I find when it is slower at work I tend to feel hungrier. I only bring a certain amount of food to work and all of it is healthy. When I finish it, there is no more.

Since the weather is getting better, I go for walks at lunch prior to eating. I have a walking route that takes about 35 minutes. I bring my ipod to work and we go for a walk together. The exercise also helps curb the munchies.

When I first started at this job, we had chocolate in the department at all times and there is an amazing Italian bakery up the road. Since January, I haven't had either and I feel a lot better for it!
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    Wow... I would not be able to handle it. I have no self control around chocolate. We have food in the office but most of it is healthy. My problem is that I eat so much of it.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Try taking one SMALL serving in a bowl or on a plate, then limit yourself to that. Don't go back for more; if it left in your sight line, ask whoever brought it to consider leaving it in another location so you can't see it all the time. :frown: I know how hard it is with chocolate......... it's my weakness :devil: :devil:
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My job is sooooo slow!! I have asked for more work and even after gaining a second position I am still sitting with nothing to do several hours a day. I started reading at my desk I also spend alot of time on this site. When I feel hungry or like snacking I drink water. Its helps I also have enough space to walk (basicaly in circles I think my coworkers think im crazy) around and do that several times for 10-15 min.