will sodium halt weight loss?

Options
HI all! Im getting a lil frustrated. Ive been working out like a mad woman, eating within my calorie range, drinking tons and tons of water and the scale is not budging! Part of it is that I used to work out intensely and I think I am building muscle super fast because of my muscles memory. But one other thing that might be slowing me down is sodium intake. because I am doing such a low fat, low carb healthy food approach. I am probably using to much sodium to compensate for taste. will that just make you retain water or does it actually prohibit your body from flushing the fat out? anyone know any facts about this lil detail?

thanks, Andrea

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sodium has no bearing whatsoever on fat loss. Sodium in excess makes your body retain water. So you would weigh heavier. But it's water. Not fat.
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sodium has no bearing whatsoever on fat loss. Sodium in excess makes your body retain water. So you would weigh heavier. But it's water. Not fat.

totally agree and staying under 2500mg a day is really hard to do at times!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I average 4000mg of sodium a day and it never stopped me. But I also don't care for weight and concentrate on body fat more. Under/Over eating will more likely put a halt on weight loss than sodium would.