hate strength training.. need help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Ditch the isolation exercises and do some big compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press. Keep it simple and heavy. Make it a challenge, not a bore. You need a comprehensive program that will give you steady improvement. It will give you something to work toward rather than just going through the motions doing dumbbell curls.

Check out Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, or NROL.
    This! Big time. Compound lifts means less work, more results.

This. I just started StrongLifts. It only takes like a half hour. I have a android app that will time my rests (jefit).
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I'm going to step in for someone who isn't on today..

Check out nerdfitness.com.

Beat me to it lol

:wink:
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Start out with New Rules of Lifting! I'm way more bored doing cardio than lifting.

This, and
    Ditch the isolation exercises and do some big compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press. Keep it simple and heavy. Make it a challenge, not a bore. You need a comprehensive program that will give you steady improvement. It will give you something to work toward rather than just going through the motions doing dumbbell curls.

Check out Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, or NROL.

This.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think heavy compound lifts are the way to go. Do them on a different day than when you are doing your epic cardio. I do my cardio on the same day as my weights, but i only do about 20 minutes of cardio.

Once you start seeing muscles you didn't know you had, you won't be bored anymore. Believe me on this one :)
  • Peeeeeeeeeej
    Peeeeeeeeeej Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    as everyone has stated doing heavy compound lifts will give u the LIFT (hah see what I did there) when it comes to motivation at the gym.

The other advice I have is when your doing your exercises to close your eyes (or just imagine) and picture your muscles under your skin flexing and relaxing with each exercise you do - that allows you to stay focus on the movement and keeps good form
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As others have said: heavy compound lifts all the way!! They're so much more rewarding - bicep curls even bore me a little bit (and I LOVE lifting!)
  • nbawden
    Options
    Yoga - strength and flexibility in one. Oh and the best part is...you create the space to meet yourself again.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I love heavy lifting and have a hard time getting in my cardio. A lot of people have suggested the New Rules of Lifting for Women (great book!). I also like the idea of a personal trainer (if you can afford it) to help with form, etc...
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't love strength training, either.
    Except that it's getting me results that none of my cardio exercises alone have ever gotten me. Since I've started lifting weights, I've dropped 2 jeans sizes and hubby is always running his hands over my muscles and making admiring comments.
    That right there gives me the motivation to keep doing it!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    My best suggestion is spread those workouts out. The most efficient way to build muscle and lose fat at the same time are these high intensity circuit type workouts that rip your muscles all apart on large areas of your body and basically eat you up and crap you out within 2 hours at the gym. However, the body also isn't naturally built for that kind of thing, and it tells you EXTREMELY loud and clear. You'll feel crappy, you'll want to puke, you'll be dizzy, and it's completely normal.

So what you do, is train your body not to hate the burn so much, and a good way to do that is to not constantly push your limits. Choose 2 strength workouts every day... so, I'm gonna do pushups and situps today. And then just do them at different times, and focus only on that one exercise at that time, push through the burn as much as you can for that one single thing.

It's much easier to not lose focus since you know you don't have to save any energy for the next 4 sets or anything like that, and you'll slowly train yourself to tolerate higher lactic acid levels without freaking out. After 2-3 months of this you should be able to go through the more intense workouts again without as much hatred of them, and the simpler focus exercises that are separated from everything else, you may actually grow to like doing. I often find myself taking a break from homework reading or what not by taking 5 minutes out to do situps. I couldn't have even imagined actually wanting to do situps 3 months ago.

[edit] If you're getting bored you're not lifting enough weight. For a weighted exercise, to tone muscle, you should only be doing 20-40 reps, and it's best to do at least 2 workouts a month strength training, 8 reps per set (don't worry about getting hulkish, it's impossible to do that accidentally). Some things like push ups you can make harder by using push up bars to dip your chest deeper or plant your hands further down your body not right under your shoulders.

HUH!?!?!??!?!

I've seen some bad information on strength training on this site, but THIS by far is the worst, most uneducated by far.
    Pretty much do the opposite of everything written here.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't like it either. But I do like the results! Muscle tone makes a huge difference in your appearance! I say start with Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred and then No More Trouble Zones (all strength but compound circuit training-type stuff) as that is definitely not boring. I will also do 20-30 minute circuits of chest, back, bicep/tricep compounded as much as possible with lower body work at the gym before I do my cardio now just to get some heavier lifting in, but I still get a great work out from Jillian's dvds. They are only like 10 bucks, so check them out!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is spread those workouts out. The most efficient way to build muscle and lose fat at the same time are these high intensity circuit type workouts that rip your muscles all apart on large areas of your body and basically eat you up and crap you out within 2 hours at the gym. However, the body also isn't naturally built for that kind of thing, and it tells you EXTREMELY loud and clear. You'll feel crappy, you'll want to puke, you'll be dizzy, and it's completely normal.

So what you do, is train your body not to hate the burn so much, and a good way to do that is to not constantly push your limits. Choose 2 strength workouts every day... so, I'm gonna do pushups and situps today. And then just do them at different times, and focus only on that one exercise at that time, push through the burn as much as you can for that one single thing.

It's much easier to not lose focus since you know you don't have to save any energy for the next 4 sets or anything like that, and you'll slowly train yourself to tolerate higher lactic acid levels without freaking out. After 2-3 months of this you should be able to go through the more intense workouts again without as much hatred of them, and the simpler focus exercises that are separated from everything else, you may actually grow to like doing. I often find myself taking a break from homework reading or what not by taking 5 minutes out to do situps. I couldn't have even imagined actually wanting to do situps 3 months ago.

[edit] If you're getting bored you're not lifting enough weight. For a weighted exercise, to tone muscle, you should only be doing 20-40 reps, and it's best to do at least 2 workouts a month strength training, 8 reps per set (don't worry about getting hulkish, it's impossible to do that accidentally). Some things like push ups you can make harder by using push up bars to dip your chest deeper or plant your hands further down your body not right under your shoulders.
    This information could not be more wrong. It's really simple...go to Stronglifts.com and get the 5x5 report, look it over. The 5x5 is beautifully simple in that you alternate between 2 workouts, 3 different exercises per workout(in all between the 2 workouts it's 5 different ones), with 5 sets of 5 reps.
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have any strength-training group fitness classes? My gym offers Les Mills Body Pump, and it really is a great full-body workout. Between the great music, the instructor motivation, and even some friendly competition with the other participants, it really does make the time go much faster. I push through harder than I would if I were on my own - I don't want to look like I can't keep up, and I certainly don't want to walk out when 15 other people are pushing through! A boot camp style class would work, as well.

This and also the Les Mils Body Flow. Great combo of strength and core.