Working out on an empty stomach

Options
2»

Replies

• Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says this is a no no. I recommend eating something healthy, waiting an hour, then working out.

If I ate and then waited an hour before going to the gym, I'd have to roll out of bed by 3:30...that's not happening.:noway: I did manage to eat a light something the other morning and halfway through my spin workout started shaking and broke out into a cold sweat. Normally, I don't have anything but coffee before a workout.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My curves coach told me to never do this because you'll bottom out your blood sugar. it's a very bad idea.

Every person is going to be different when it comes to this. I've never experienced my blood sugar bottoming out and I train 12 hours fasted and eat nothing until 4 + hours after my workout. It just takes some experimenting to figure out where your thresholds are and to determine your preference.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    A typical day for me is getting up & ready for work/kids to school at 5:15. Breakfast around 9:30-10:00 sitting at my desk (oatmeal, breakfast sandwich, protein-type bar); maybe a banana around 11:30; run 3-4 miles at 1; Eat lunch (turkey sandwich, pita) around 3:00-3:30; supper around 6pm. I also have to have a snack around 8 or 9 to keep me going unfortunately until bedtime around 10 or 11.

I am always hungry at 10 & 3 so I decided that would be when I ate my meals so that I wouldn't be looking for a snack at that time in addition to an earlier meal. I tried eating lunch at 11 and running 2 hours later, but even a light sandwich seemed too heavy on my stomach when I ran. My time was slower and I really didn't feel good, so I went back to eating when I was done.

I think everyone is different and unless you are hardcore working out, it would be a personal preference.

Just my opinion.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i do strenght at 12 and brake my fast after. It work for me and for my life style
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout fasted. If I eat first I usually end up feeling like I'm gonna puke, which is a feeling I'd rather avoid.

To each their own...