Back Surgery and Recovery

Options
I'm having a microdiscectomy on two discs plus a little extra taken out in 2 weeks. Anyone out there had a surgery recovery where they maintained/lost weight? Also, is there anyone out there who has had this type of surgery? Any stories or advice on how you felt during recovery and getting back to working out?

Replies

• sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Last March I had surgery to trim a ruptured disc (laminotomy). The ONLY exercise I was allowed to do for the first 6 weeks is walk. No bending, lifting, swimming, biking...etc. It was difficult because I wanted to be moving, exercising, losing the weight I gained between the time my disc ruptured and my surgery. I did listen to the dr though, because I certainly did not want to re-rupture it.

Feel free to add me, and ask any questions.
  • DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nearly a year ago I had part of a disc and part of a vertabra removed. I wasn't allowed to sit for a week, had to lie down or stand & walk, but not for too long then keep building it up gradually. I did too much too quickly it was not worth the pain, do exactly as you are told by your surgeon - NOT BY YOUR NORMAL DOCTOR THEY DO NOT KNOW BEST!!! The operation was worth it I am pain free for the first time since I was a teenager, I'm 45.
    Some things are not possible for me because of nerve problems caused by the sciatica not the surgery, I can't run because I've still got another disc further up that needs protecting & the muscle control in my bad leg is 'different' I've also still got some numbness which again is due to long term damage not the surgery but that's ok.
    Is this all scary, yes of course it is! Would I do it again - in a heartbeat.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you need to ask any questions :)
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for replying, I will add you guys as friends. I've been told that my restrictions will be no bending or twisting at the waist and no picking up anything heavier than 10lbs for 4 weeks. I've also been told to do some walking everyday. I'm sure there will be more restrictions told to me closer to the surgery- I can't imagine they'd give me the go ahead on my regular exercise intensity after 4 weeks. Do you guys know how long it took for you to feel like exercising or the recovery pain to go away? Sarvissa- do you do any high impact exercising now? I can't do anything now other than swim, bike or light elliptical when my back is "feeling good", or my back will go out on me. I used to be a soccer player and dancer! I miss doing high impact activities.
  • sarvissa
    Options
    I do pretty much anything other than running. 30 Day Shred was fine, I've been doing a circuit training class at the gym, elliptical, treadmill... I just don't feel comfortable running because that puts so much pressure on the discs and I am afraid of a re-rupture. The pain I went through last year prior to surgery was horrific... I never want to ever go through that again. Like the other responder, I too have nerve damage. My leg is much weaker, the muscles are a lot stiffer, and if I'm really tired I start limping. But as I work out, I can feel it getting stronger, it just takes time.
  • sarvissa
    Options
    I had my surgery on a Thursday, and the first several days I spent in bed other than using the bathroom. By Monday I was up and around, although still had a lot of pain. I was told to do very little sitting. Had to make sure when I was in bed to put a pillow between my legs if I was on my side, and under my thighs if I was on my back. By my 2 week check up, the dr wanted me to have walked a mile, I came close to that goal.
  • DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I started walking a little bit everyday - I wasn't even in hospital over night they just needed me to be able to get to the loo on my own & then I could go home. I found that lying down for 20 minutes then going for a walk worked for me in the early days. The length of the walks increases but you can't look at this as 'getting fit' doing more isn't always good if it is aching you are probably doing too much, its not like normal gym work where aching a bit is a good thing.
    The sticky dressing stayed on my scar for the first week and sfter that it was tender, not painful, if I wore jeans for a while.
    I was back at work - I'm a teaching assistant in a class of 4 & 5 year olds by 6 weeks. Walking was good but I still couldn't sit for long periods of time. I did a lot of walking on the treadmill on the flat & on inclines, this helped more than walking outside.
  • Briody1
    Briody1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just had my 3 month post-op visit with my orthopedic surgeon. I also had a microdiscectomy. Mine was for my L5/S1. Before my surgery I was in severe pain. I had visited chiropractors and physical therapists and they weren't helping. I started to have nerve damage and decided the surgery needed to be done. I'm glad I did it. I was walking about a mile within a week or so and gradually increased my distance. Then after a few weeks my doctor said I could do stationary biking. He just told me at my 3 month post-op check up that I could start resuming other exercising and activities. He just said to start slow. I was able to bike to work today (only about 5 miles) and it felt good.

I still have a little bit of nerve pain. The doctor said it was from the nerve damage before the surgery. He said he thinks it will eventually go away. It's much less severe than before the surgery.

I've been able to lose a bit of weight by keeping up on physical activity. It's important to keep active, especially walking but don't over do it. Good Luck and don't give up. :happy:
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I had a L5/S1 fusion and was in the hospital for 4.5 days. The morning of day 2, they had me up out of bed and walking. Which by the way...was NOT awesome lol. The thing I was told over and over was no BLT (bending lifting twisting), and to walk. They also had daily PT in the hospital. I found that once I got home, my leg discomfort was worse than my back (and the huge incision..ugh)...but if I got up and walked, and followed my prescription doses...it would improve.

2.5 months after surgery I started pool PT, it was great! If you are offered that, I'd say go for it. It takes so much pressure off of your body and makes it easier to get moving again.
  • Briody1
    Briody1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I decided to start a group for those who have had back problems, back pain, back surgery or other back questions. If any one is interested here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6790-getting-over-back-pain-problems