Treadmill calories vs. MFP calories

Options
I have been trying to track my excercise with MFP. I noticed the other day that the amount of calories varies quite a bit between my treadmill and MFP.

For example, I just did 30 minutes on the treadmill, both with and without incline, and the screen showed I burned 348 calories. However, when I add my workout on MFP, it only adds up to about 145 calories.

Should I just go by what my treadmill says or does that sound high?

Replies

• mandamama
    Options
    I often wonder this as well with the eliptical
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It varies by machine. Does your treadmill ask for your weight & gender? The more information it has, the more accurate it will be. I just have a cheapy treadmill ... the gender defaults to male (I'm not) so it is way too high. You might take an average between MFP & the machine.
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to track my excercise with MFP. I noticed the other day that the amount of calories varies quite a bit between my treadmill and MFP.

For example, I just did 30 minutes on the treadmill, both with and without incline, and the screen showed I burned 348 calories. However, when I add my workout on MFP, it only adds up to about 145 calories.

Should I just go by what my treadmill says or does that sound high?

I always go by what the treadmill says as it takes into consideration the speed adjustments, the incline alterations, etc that are done for that set. I usually use MFP for the exercises that don't give an amount (non-machine, walks outside, etc) as they seem pretty accurate then but there is also the following site that may help as well in that area ...
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    Can you purchase a heart rate monitor? I find there is a massive difference between what MFP, the machines and what my HRM says I burn. For accuracy it's a great investment ..I have a Polar FT7 and love it.
    http://www.thepolarshop.com.au/?gclid=CO69xL-SxK4CFYolpAodSxo0VA
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, so I bought a heart rate monitor and it showed that I burned even less calories than both my treadmill and MFP.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, so I bought a heart rate monitor and it showed that I burned even less calories than both my treadmill and MFP.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ The best investment you can make is a Heart Rate Monitor to accurately track your caloric burn. Yesterday MFP said something ridiculous like 534 calories burned for my 40 minute elliptical session, the elliptical calculate it at 374, and my Heart Rate Monitor said 294. This would be a huge difference over time as I work out most days.

Get a HRM...you will be glad you did! :flowerforyou: