Has anyone tried CLA supplement???

Options
I have some unwanted belly flab and heard about these supplements that they could help me out with this? I do work out 6-7 days a week with a mix of weights and Cardio

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82

And there's this one, which I don't totally buy into

Effect of Animal and Industrial Trans Fatty Acids on HDL and LDL Cholesterol Levels in Humans – A Quantitative Review. PLoS ONE 5(3): e9434. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434
  • Acg67
    Options
    I'm wondering where you heard of CLA, I've seen a few questions on it in the last 24 hrs, which would lead me to believe Dr Oz or someone like that recently talked about it
  • banffkid
    Options
    My trainer mentioned if I am concerned about the belly fat and chect area that they wouldnt hurt to start taking them. I just dont know anyone personally (friends) that have tried it.
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am taking CLA , not sure if its working , 2 weeks now.. I had bought a bottle a while back and never toke them. Then I also heard that it helps to prevent breast cancer, not sure if thats true .....so I decided to go ahead and give them try. I workout 4-6 times a week...a mixer of cardio and weights also. But I would like to know if someone else have taken them and what their results was...especially before buying another bottle, if I decide to do that.
  • Acg67
    Options
    My trainer mentioned if I am concerned about the belly fat and chect area that they wouldnt hurt to start taking them. I just dont know anyone personally (friends) that have tried it.

And did this trainer want you to buy it from your gym's supp store or something like that? Because there is no current research to suggest it has any benefit for targeting specific fat stores or even fat loss in humans
  • banffkid
    Options
    No he wanted me to get it from a Health Food store...but, I am sure I can hold off and just continue the natural way to loose the weight, It sucks....My face, arms and legs are getting skinnier but its my mid-section. I started at 242lbs and now I am at 196lbs. I see you toned up very well...Do you do more weights or Cardio?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am taking it. It works great for me!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options
    I also take Green Tea supplements with the CLA..they are supposed to compliment each other and work well together. Not sure if its the Green Tea Supplement or CLA but one is working great :)
  • banffkid
    Options
    Are you seeing results in the mid section or all over?
  • Acg67
    Options
    No he wanted me to get it from a Health Food store...but, I am sure I can hold off and just continue the natural way to loose the weight, It sucks....My face, arms and legs are getting skinnier but its my mid-section. I started at 242lbs and now I am at 196lbs. I see you toned up very well...Do you do more weights or Cardio?

Great job on the weight loss, i'd just keep doing what you're doing. Generally speaking the first place you put on fat is the last place you'll lose it

And for people saying it works, look up post hoc ergo propter hoc
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I also take Green Tea supplements with the CLA..they are supposed to compliment each other and work well together. Not sure if its the Green Tea Supplement or CLA but one is working great :)

Does it work without a balanced diet and excersize?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options
    No, it works well WITH diet and exercise. The results without it would be so small you most likely wouldn't notice.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options
    Are you seeing results in the mid section or all over?

Mid section mostly. I am also building muscle and toning targeted places much easier.
  • dwanla
    Options
    I have used it and it helped tone all over and decreased appetite.